What's new

Directors Wonderful Women 1 Draft (Vickie's rules) (1 Viewer)

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Angelo, very cool pick with Coco. She was much more than the "little black dress" lady, but that's not a bad thing to be remembered for. She was a fascinating person.

You guys ROCK with your choices!

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
I think I'm behind one pick. If I'm wrong, feel free to disregard this.

emmeline pankhurst

the suffrage movement was not confined to the US; it had its origins elsewhere

susan b. is only a part of the story; emmeline pankhurst--"the mother of half the human family"--is the part you may not be familiar with

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
I dunno if I'm up or what. I guess I'll just throw a couple more picks out there...

Connie Willis

Author of two of the best sci-fi books I've read, The Doomsday Book and To Say Nothing of the Dog. Both are based in the same framework -- a not-too-distant-future university with a history department that utilizes time travel. But while Dog is a comic, clever romp, Doomsday is a touching, tragic tale. Both are intensely rewarding works of literature. And her other books and stories are excellent as well.

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member

Shelley Duvall

Poor Shelley is unfairly demolished on a routine basis for her portrayal of Wendy Torrance in Kubrick's The Shining. I happen to think she's wonderful in that role. She also served as the perfect Olive Oyl in an otherwise flawed Popeye. And a hilarious, though small, role in Annie Hall. Also she should be heralded for her devotion to quality entertainment for children, with her long-running show "Faerie Tale Theatre", among others.

I can't really tell you why I'm picking Shelley Duvall. She simply appeals to me on a gut level. She seems like a genuinely nice, charming person, completely free of the Hollywood bullshit narcissism. I'm also among the (apparently) few who finds her quite beautiful.

Chris_Richard

Supporting Actor
I think I might be up and need to make two picks.

Anne Lennox - musician

The Euyrthmics were one of my favorite bands of the 80's.

AND

Rachel Carson - biologist

Recently Time magazine celebrated their 80th year by publishing an issue where they chose the top 80 days over the last 80 years. One of those days was 27 September 1962. This was the day that Silent Spring was published. This attack on the use of pesticides began the movement away from chemicals and led to the banning of DDT and passage of environmental laws.

Time Article

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
It's becoming really difficult to know how to prioritize my draft order. Maybe I should just politely ask everyone to not draft anyone from my list. :)

I'll jump from my real life entertainers list to my fictional characters list for this round. Natalie Portman's debut in Leon was rather provocative, even causing some family problems for her. This is likely one of the reasons that she turned down the title role in Adrian Lyne's Lolita. Both of these films present what is stereotypically supposed be the object of desire for lecherous adult men everywhere. No thanks! If I want to have an unhealthy, somewhat disturbing fantasy involving a young teenage girl, I'll imagine myself eating coffee cakes and making sarcastic comments with my next selection:

Marty from Beautiful Girls

She's funny, cute, self-aware, creative, and intelligent. In a handful of scenes she steals the entire film and leaves every male viewer that I've discussed this with sadly wondering why Marty never lived next door to them. Somewhere out there she's breaking the hearts of all those sad, sad boys who aren't good enough for her (and know it).

Brad

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Up next: Zen Butler - but feel free to go ahead and give 2 choices, and it's ok it it moves Brad, Angelo, Steeve, etc. I'll pop in with my picks whenever.

I plan on being so easy with this thing, wrt it being my turn. I got my 3 most important picks, and have only had one stolen (I would have had Bjork on my list too), so I'm never going to hold anyone up waiting for me.

I'll say it a million times, I am so loving All your picks guys.

Rachel Carson? DAMN that's cool!

Isabelle Adjani is the main reason why I have a very big soft spot for Ishtar. I don't think it's as bad as everyone says anyway. The biggest problem with it is that it cost so much to make and the money is not really up there on the screen. Other than that, it's a goofy romp. No matter what though, I could turn the sound down and just stare at Isabelle. Steeve, I assume you've seen Werner Herzog's Nosferatu, yes?

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
bassist/lyricist for Sonic Youth and other projects (free Kitten etc.)

Kim Gordon

Playful vocalist, that adds dimension to an already multi-layered band. The best band I have ever seen, hands down. Wife to SY bandmate Thurston Moore.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Victoria Williams

I discovered one of my favorite people in the world in 1988, when her first album, Happy Come Home, was released. I was in awe from the first notes of the first song "Happy", a bizarre, simple but profound ditty about an old lady calling her dog, Happy, to come home (but you see, none of her neighbors knew her dog was named Happy, so they just assumed she was a crazy old woman, yelling at the world that she was happy. Perceptions can be so wrong, so often).

I've since seen her in concert several times, and I've met her several times, and she's one of the world's gifted. She's been through good times and bad, and the bad has been very bad indeed, from losing people close to her (through death and divorce), to living with multiple sclerosis (the album Sweet Relief came about when musicians got together and recorded her songs, giving the proceeds to her to pay her medical bills). When her eternal optimism threatens to get cloying, you stop and realize all the terrible things she's been through, and you realize that the optimism comes from a place deep within, a place that knows the pain, but believes that there's always, ALWAYS, a bright side. You just have to look harder to find it, and often it's where you least expect it, and is often in the details.

She's a storyteller, and she's a unique voice. She's also one of the nicest people you could ever hope to meet. She's the most Christ-like Christian I've ever met or heard about (coming from a non-believing heathen like myself, that's the ultimate compliment).

Some people will never be able to get past her unusual voice, but for those who do, there's a whole world of wonder and life to discover.

A couple of songs, cover and an original:

Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas

Opelousas

The Creekdipper's website

This is a nice bit from a good article: Victoria Williams is a contemporary psalmist. In a universe with precious few maps, she is a cartographer of the soul. Her optimism is undaunted, but never daunting, never denying our frailty or her own, never vacuously victorious, always Victoria. Like my pal Derek says: "Sometimes you think Victoria’s too happy, but then I guess the pain is always there." We are blessed. You are loved.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Victoria is a great choice.

I've always liked her songs, but never her voice. The "Live in Toronto" CD is staring at me, unwrapped, from the shelf. You've inspired me to tear it open and give it a spin.

np: springsteen, "my father's house"

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
The "Live in Toronto" CD is staring at me, unwrapped, from the shelf. You've inspired me to tear it open and give it a spin.
Oooh, probably not a good one to go for if you don't like her voice, but let me know if it's any better for you. My favorite song on that album is "Sunshine Country," which is, um, fairly normal.

Her newest album, Water To Drink, features vocals much less "quirky" than just about any other thing she's done. It's a really great album, and I've been listening to it quite a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks