What's new

Wonderfalls 1.01 - Wax Lion **Pilot - Friday 3/12/04** (1 Viewer)

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
He was executive producer of Angel and wrote a lot of the episodes.

He was also an executive producer on Firefly last season, and wrote a lot of those episodes too.

KyleC

Supporting Actor
The first few mins I almost turned it off, but I'm glad I didn't. I thought it was a great show! I miss John Doe though. :frowning:

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Great first episode. Definitely has a lot of potential.

I thought the same thing. Actually, I thought the whole show had a "Dead Like Me" feel to it.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
If you've seen Dead Like Me, you'll quickly recognize all the story and stylistic bits that Brian Fuller recycled. But they work better on Dead Like Me.

M.

MikeFR

Supporting Actor
That was a pretty funny episode, good start. I like how it has a bit of an edge to it and isnt 'cutesy' as someone above feared it might be.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Great show. Very clever, wonderfully written and all over the map. Loved it!
Will it make it? Probably not. It's too good.
Intersting to see what the ratings are like.

I looked for Tim Minears name in the credits but all I saw was Brian Fullers. What is Tim doing on the show?

Jer Hugh

Auditioning
I FREAKING LOVE THIS SHOW!!!! I mean, i just saw the pilot but I know this will be My show from now on. After Buffy(yeah,sees people rolling eyes) There was nothing nothing worth the time to get happy over; not even Angel. But now, there's hope for Something good on TV again, that Buffy's torch will be carried by 'Wonderfalls'. As you can see I'm definately gonna recommend it to everyone.:) :D

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
I really enjoyed it to. It felt very Dead Lime Me to me, now seeing the writers the same it make sense.

I cringed when she picked up that pen to releive the swelling in dudes neck. owww

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The pilot was made before Tim came on board the project. As Patrick mentioned, he's the executive producer, but starting next week, his influence will become more well known.

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
I'll watch the next couple of episodes - but for now it's too much like a watered-down version of Dead Like Me.

Jaye really is a family-friendly clone of George from DLM.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I thought it twas excellent. Kind like Northern Exposure meets Angel minus evil. :D

Sigh... I hope it doesn't get cancelled. Since we've lost Angel, there's not much good stuff left on TV for me to watch :frowning:

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Thanks for the info regarding Tim's involvment.

Anyone know what the ratings were? Sure would like to read about a success story in the ratings, especially since the TV is already inindated with reality shows.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
As far as zap2it is concerned... it didn't do very well.

Playing it Straight averaged 3.7/6, while Wonderfalls did 3.4/6

I think this one might have to rely on good word of mouth to last... :frowning:

The marketing was HORRIBLE..."See the magic!" the show's much more... cynical than that. They made it look like a feel good kind of show, while it's got a much darker tone.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't describe Wonderfalls as dark. The main character is cynical and sarcastic, but the show itself is playful and seems much more optimistic than not.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I mean it has a lot of dark humor. The peanut salad, the guy who's wife was blowing the bell-hop, or the tourist fight. The story of the indian girl going off the cliff. It may not be "dark" in terms of storytelling, or many other ways, but there's definitely dark humor present. Playfully dark might be a better way to describe it. My mother watched the first half, and when we got to the scene with the bartender's wife... she was like "Well, I guess this isn't goin gto be like Joan of Arcadia!" **kind of annoyed...**

By the end of the episode she looked over at me and said "I was a little worried because they made this girl seem like a real jerk with no feelings, but you can tell they're setting it up so that this situation with the animals might start to turn her around... it's actually more upbeat than I thought it would be."

Basically, the ad I saw made it seem like she's going to be using her powers to "save" people, but that's not really how the show starts out at all. As of now, she's participating for purely selfish reasons (wants the animals to stop).

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
I really enjoyed that pilot episode last night. I hope after the 7 week run that fox picks it up. If you go to the official website www.fox.com/wonderfalls you can listen to a audio commentary for the pilot, it was an interesting listen.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Adam, I think what they mean by seven weeks is that FOX has guaranteed to show at least 7 episodes before they cancel the show.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks