What's new

Wonderfalls 1.01 - Wax Lion **Pilot - Friday 3/12/04** (1 Viewer)

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
What does everyone else think about this new show? It's being called the best new show of the season by multiple critics and reviewers. From what I've seen in ads it looks kind of corny (but FOX is horrible at marketing this stuff) but what I read about it says it's supposed to be really good.

The actul show is about a girl who runs a souvenier stand in niagra falls who experiences a mental breakdown. After recovering the numerous items in her souvenier stand start to talk to her and give her assignments. The assignments are meant to help her get other people get back on track, while at the same time helping her find direction in her own life.

I think it sounds like an interesting premise, and no, the show isn't a rip-off of Joan of Arcadia, it was actually in production long before JOA, but is only now beginning to air.

Considering FOX's track record with these things... and the quirky nature of the show I don't see it lasting a long time, but we'll see... I'll definitely be tuning in. Tim Minear, an ANGEL & FIREFLY veteran is heavily involved, and the buzz is good. What else can you ask for?

Friday 8:00 pm on FOX.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Robert, though I just wanted to point out the time is 9:00 pm standard on Fox. The central time folks probably don't see why I care, but I nearly had a heart attack reading 8:00, since that would have put it up against a new episode of the very similiar concept "Joan of Arcadia" which is already one of my favorite shows this season. Hopefully "Wonderfalls" can turn it into a wonderful double-bill for Fridays.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Good job bringing that to everyone's attention. I believe FOX chose the timeslot right after JOA on purpose. :)

http://www.fox.com/wonderfalls/video/music_video.htm

I thought I'd add this quickly. It's a very humorous music video for the show, using what I guess will be the theme music. It's a catchy song, and the clips from the show showing the animals are just cute as hell.... ;)

Anyone else love that donkey stuffed animal? It's really cute....

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
The Dallas Morning News had a very positive review this morning. Our TV reviewer called it the best show (of its type) since Northern Exposure hit the screen.

I added a season pass for my Tivo.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I've heard good things too and am recording it.
My thoughts are that people wont tune in because it's on Friday which is ashame.
Why put such a critically acclaimed show on Friday Nights.? X-files was lucky but how many other shows are.
Maybe it will get the same Joan of Arcadia audience which I am hoping.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
It's gotta go somewhere, and something's gotta go on Friday nights. There ain't an easy timeslot on the schedule.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, but why shows with high production values? You think it would be more profitable to put a cheap reality show on Friday nights. Something that would pull in a small but respectable audience.

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter

...by Andy Partridge, no less. Andy's theme and the presence of Tim Minear are enough to convince me to tune it.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
That still leaves the question of where to put Wonderfalls, though. The only other open spots on Fox's schedule appear to be Thursday, where people would scream about it getting hammered by CBS and NBC, or Monday (and I'm not sure why it's not on after Cracking Up on Monday, to be honest).

Still, I think the whole idea that a show can't survive on Friday is something of a myth. Joan Of Arcadia, which seems similar to Wonderfalls, has thrived there, ABC and WB have had success with comedies, and Law & Order: Special Victims Unit actually became a hit there after floundering on Mondays.

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
Premise sounds mildy intriguing though I worry it might get a bit too "cutesy". Still, I'll give anything Tim Minnear is associated with a chance.

Joshua_W

Second Unit
Is it just me, or does the series sound A LOT like "Joan of Arcadia," and to a lesser extent, "Tru Calling?"

Must be this year's flavor: Attractive, smart young women who receive supernatural visions of strangers in need of assistance.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It's very amusing. I am finding that I'm LOL a lot while watching this show. Love the reaction to peanuts by the EPS dude.

Oh gawd, I about lost it during the cut from the EPS dude's sponge bath to the neon candle light.

Even though Jaye's pushed to help people, you can see how she's helping herself after years of pushing people away from her and being mean and acerbic as a self-defense mechanism.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I busted a gut when Jaye offered EPS dude the pen to write down what he was trying to say, and he recoiled in mortal fear.

There's such a whimsical quality to the tone of this 'sode. :)

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member

Actually, the show was in production before Joan of Arcadia and Tru Calling started, the only difference is that this one got pushed back as a midseason replacement. Have to say, I understand why, but I don't like it... I think this is easily one of the best pilots I've seen in a long time. This is a series that shows great promise and looks to be extremely wonderful.

I like that she's not just a do-gooder, and that whatever this higher power is... it's trying to help her and other people. For example, the good deed not only led her to help the EPS guy find someone, but also got her very uptight sister to hook up with his ex-wife, and possibly loosen up. All of this happened, and in the end, caused Jaye and her sister to get a little closer.

I think the dialogue is fast, witty, and fits. The animals are funny too.

After seeing how great the show really is... I have a feeling that after the 7 weeks are up, we'll be seeing the end of it. Hopefully we can hope for a second season of Playing It Straight! :rolleyes:

I still can't believe she stole the monkey!

Here's looking forward to next week.

"Grease!?"
"Single White Female!!!"

**** (****):emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
What happens when you put Tim Minear, Todd Holland, and the Deep Space Nine guy together on a show? Comic freakin' genius. I was beginning to doubt my read on "Cracking Up" after coming across really negative about it. "Wonder Falls" reminded me why my standards are so high.

One part Daria, two parts Joan of Arcadia, with a dash of Buffy and Malcolm in the Middle thrown in for good measure. I could hear my mother's laugh through the floor boards after the "cat litter/space heater" line. I loved it too.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It's so funny when Jaye tries to help people and gets whacked by them, or escalates a situation for the worse. Loved it when her sister and the ex-wife of the EPS dude hooked up.

Jim Beaver

Supporting Actor
Jaye reminds me too much of George from Dead Like Me. I love Dead Like Me and this just didn't fit with me but the talking objects is cool.

By the way who is Tim Minear people are talking about?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks