What's new

Woe is me, new to the world of projector warranties! (1 Viewer)

Paul Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Spencer
Jack,

I don't know exactly how the performance compares, but there's no question that it's very good value. Often the cost of the globes is overlooked. You end up spending more on globes over time than the projector it seems, and if he needs to max out his credit card to buy it in the first place, the cost of globes puts an even deeper hole in the pockets!

Personally I'm more conscious of audio than visual image quality. When you get absorbed in a movie, you miss the detail of the image - you don't notice it as much. No picture no matter how good can come close to making you think it is real. Speakers come much closer - you might get up to answer the door bell or phone cos of your sound system, but it would never happen with someone on tv or a big screen. Somehow I think our brains are more able to overcome picture imperfections than audio ones, or perhaps this is a characteristic of being an audio nut! ... I'm not so sure one would be willing to pay for a projector that is better than what you can achieve by diy.

I haven't done it yet, but it doesn't look that difficult. It's basically disassemble an LCD monitor, put it in a box with a fan and a few lenses. You can get instructions here:

Lumen Lab plans

There is also a forum with good support and posts of projectors in progress.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I and another member got the 4805 for $1289 shipped, but it's important to note the costs do NOT stop there.

- $56 30' M1-DVI Infocus cable
- $75 30' Component Cable (Bluejeanscable.com)
- $25 30' RCA cable (Bluejeanscable.com)
- $30-$40 on a DIY screen
- $83 on the AVS ceiling mount
- $300 bulb in a year or two depending on your viewing habits ;)

I also spent $45 on the Zoom Player Pro + Sonic filters combo for DVD play on the htpc. And don't forget your room has to be light controlled or you'll be sorry!

With all that said, I'm still glad I went FPTV. I just watched the Italian Job last night with Unsharpen Mask on 22 in FFDShow and the image had me grinnin' from ear to ear! :D Plus it's great for my basement since I'm always having friends over on the weekends.

As a fellow student (almost done!) I could handle (read: cushion) the cost with the sale of my older TV, some old PC parts, DVDs, games etc... and yes the almighty credit card. If you have a job & the right room go for it!

David K.

Second Unit
- $56 30' M1-DVI Infocus cable
- $75 30' Component Cable (Bluejeanscable.com)
- $25 30' RCA cable (Bluejeanscable.com)
- $30-$40 on a DIY screen
- $83 on the AVS ceiling mount
- $300 bulb in a year or two depending on your viewing habits

I was planning on using s-video, can someone tell me if i can use anytype of s-videp to turn on the faroudja?

the screen will be cast on a white wall until further notice :). then theres always ebay. Im hoping there will be no need for a mount, I have a closet right behind me with a compartment and door about 6 feet up, i can install the projector in there of on top of the closet which stands 9'.

i will most likely watch 5 movies a month. I do not have a tv tuner or digital cable box, anyone know where i can get a decent tuner with an s-video out?

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Look on eCost for a refursbished JVC S-VHS VCR that has S-vid out. S-video is interlaced so yes the DCDi is on by deafult, which is an excellent deinterlacer btw. But just fyi I get better results with DScaler since it has all these filters you can tweak.

David K.

Second Unit
I was at frys today, still looking at projectors, then saw a sharp $2000 dlp projector running, it was displayed improperly with a screen about 3 feet away. i focused the image, and saw rainbows when i blinked, look around the screen and so on.. and this was on a tiny 25" projected image!

then i went to good guys and saw a new mits dlp monitor... and guess what? I saw rainbows in the dlp tv set...

needless to say, I will no longer be getting the 4805..

im looking into the much cheaper sanyp z1 now... about a good $400 cheaper..

im scared about bulb life though, and my room is dusty..
So im hesitant to bite the bullet. ill find out tonight after work, If I will be buying it.

David K.

Second Unit
i bit the bullet and bought it right now,

$899 shipped. is that a good price? anyone know if there were coupons at visual apex i couldve used?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks