What's new

Woah... Bill & Ted, no extras? (1 Viewer)

Ricky f

Supporting Actor
I know there is only a trailer and a behind te scenes feature on Bogus Journey but MAN I AM HAPPY.
I recently called MGM and asked if there was any plans for these titles to be released and they said they have no plans, That goes to show don't always believe what they tell you on the phone, Although maybe my call reminded them about releasing these titles, No I doubt that.
Anyway this news is " most excellent "
A great price aswell.
Regards,
Ricky
------------------
Please help convince Warner to release Stephen King's IT On DVD
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/003344.html

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
There certainly should be deleted scenes that were shot for Bogus Journey, although I've no idea if the Orion -> MGM transfer would have lost them. Somewhere I have a trailer on VHS, and the trailer contains at least one shot (a knight if memory serves) that didn't make the final cut.
Its a pity we are getting barebones treatment, but badly done Bill 'n' Ted is a lot better than no Bill 'n' Ted!

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Considering that the region 2 release (if memory serves) had crappy pro logic sound and these are widescreen anamorphic with 5.1 tracks, I for one am a happy camper!
Sure, extras would have been nice, but affordable discs with a high quality (hopefully) presentation of the movies sounds pretty darn good to me!
This is so non non non heinous! :)
------------------
/Kimmo

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
OK...OAR and 5.1 is a big plus for me...cant wait. But somehow I think MGM has special editions planned for these. Look at Princess Bride, Carrie, and other films...they release the bare bones first, keep quiet, then unleash a quality special edition a year or so later. These will probably be rereleased later next year...but for $10-$15 for these movies, I can live with no extras!!!
Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
------------------
card11.jpg

JamesHromadka

Stunt Coordinator
From DVDFile: "... both feature 2.35;1 and 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen transfers, respectively, and English 5.1 surround and English, French and Spanish subtitles and trailers"
Is that a typo? Is MGM finally going back to having English subtitles? That is one feature I sorely miss in most of my Bond movies. Subtitles are less intrusive than CC and I use them often, particularly when watching a movie after my wife has gone to bed.
------------------
James Hromadka
Senior Editor - VisorCentral.com
My DVD Collection

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Most recent MGM releases feature English subtitles. MGM indicated they would do this after the last HTF chat with them and we are starting to see the results.
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I could be (and probably am) wrong, but it could possibly be a rights issue.
Could be, but I'll bet the rights to these would be pretty easy to obtain (for a price). What is a bigger issue is the royalties and how that could affect the MSRP. Would you be willing to pay an extra $5 to have those videos? I wouldn't.
As for the films being Orion, actually only Bogus Journey is Orion. Both films were Castle Rock productions which at the time were funneled through Nelson Home Video. However, if I remember correctly, Nelson needed to raise some quick cash and sold the video rights to Bogus Journey and one other title to Orion. I remember reading about it in VIDEO STORE magazine back at the time. MGM aquired Orion back in the mid-90's and aquired the Nelson library from Polygram back in 97 or 98, thus both films now belong to MGM.
This will be the first time either film has been available in North America in its OAR. Excellent Adventure was shot in 2.35 Panavision and was available in widescreen only on a Japanese laserdisc which sold for around $75 or so. Bogus Journey was shot open-matte 1.33 intended for 1.85 projection, although I'm sure some special effects shots could have been hard-matte 1.85.
As for the lack of extras, I could care less. I'm tired of people complaining about "bare-bones" discs. I think some people care more about extras than the films themselves. Not that I don't appreciate extras, but I think it's getting to be overkill in some cases. If MGM does these transfers right, I will be one happy MF'er! Besides, I doubt you could drag Keanu in for a commentary, although Alex Winter is probably available.
Jeff

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
For the longest time, the Bill & Ted movies were among the most anticiapted cult comedies around.
Now that they're announced, we have nothing but "Where's the extras?" complaints.
I love a good Special Edition as much as the next guy, and most of the DVDs I own are not of the bare-bones variety...
But this news just made me smile. I cannot wait to get Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure onto my DVD shelf! (I'm not a fan of the sequel.)
And whoever mentioned the Orion connection in relation to old featues was probably correct.
Surely Alex Winter is available for a commentary!
tongue.gif

------------------
Scott
Check out my Movie Reviews at Epinions. Help support my debilitating DVD addiction!
AOL IM: TheAngryJew29

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Excellent!!
I'll be buying these too. With a price like that I can't pass it up.
One thing the studios should consider when releasing films like this that obviously have a cult following is to include scripted commentary by the film's characters. This was brought up in a thread about Strange Brew and I think it's a great idea. They could put the characters' voices in the surround channels. Then it would be like watching the movie with Bill & Ted sitting next to you instead of hiding behind the screen. They could even liven it up a bit by having moments where Bill or Ted get up out of their seats and go up to the screen (voices and walking noise follow them around the room up to the front) and have a silhouette of a hand pointing out certain elements of the scene they are talking about (along the lines of the Ghostbusters video commentary). "Special Feature: Dolby Digital 5.1 Commentary Track."
------------------
Bill
biggrin.gif

mickey31.gif

[Edited last by Bill Catherall on August 30, 2001 at 06:09 PM]

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm really pleased to here Bill & Ted is coming to DVD. I saw this movie in the theater when it debuted, senior year in high school with my best friend. It was excellent!
While I'd love to have special features (esp. commentary), just getting the movie will be good.
"Wyld Stallions" rule!

Brett Cameron

Stunt Coordinator
I'm happy enough that these are coming to dvd. I'm finally going to be able to see them in their OAR. And if done right, the 5.1 remixes on these should be really good with the rock soundtrack and all the sound effects. Plus I'll be able to pick them up for around 10 bucks each. MGM really has made me happy.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Oh my God, a discussion about Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure on the HTF? I'd never that I'd see the day. This DVD would suck if there were no extras (let the "I don't care about extras, just picture and sound is good enough" rants begin).
------------------
"I don't know, Marge. Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson
My DVD Collection

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
You obviously didn't read the whole thread. They already began.
Sure I did, I just...hey what's that over there? (sounds of running in the other direction
laugh.gif
)
Just kidding, but seriously though, I think people who like special editions (deleted scenes, commentary, etc.) fall into two camps
1. Those who actually like extras material
2. Those who are afraid that the studios will first entice customers with a movie only edition and then release a super-delux limited platinum tin with cloth movie poster edition.
Quite frankly, I fall into both camps. Bill and Ted's was an excently movie during my childhood days, and I would love to see it on DVD. Considering the "critical" treatment this movie gets (it's only Keanu's good movie, it's dumbdowned entertainment for J6P, I'm too much of a film snob to try and enjoy something purely for fun, etc., etc.), I would highly doubt that if the movie was a barebones release, there would never be a special edition of it later on. I say bring on the special edition right from the get go with deleted scenes and commentary.
------------------
"I don't know, Marge. Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson
My DVD Collection

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
quote: I say bring on the special edition right from the get go with deleted scenes and commentary.[/quote]
Do you really want a commentary from Reeves and Winter? I can see it now...
ALEX WINTER: So, Keanu, remember the day we shot this scene?
KEANU REEVES: Totally.
WINTER: Yeah. So, what some people don't know is that this isn't really a special effect done in post-production. It was really a special effect done in-camera.
REEVES: Whoa.
WINTER: Um, here he have George Carlin. Great guy to work with, no?
REEVES: Dude! He was awesome! Did you know I was in The Matrix?
WINTER: Yes, that was a good movie. So, did you enjoy working with director Stephen Herek?
REEVES: Totally.
WINTER: A lot of people don't know this, but Stephen also directed Critters.
REEVES: Whoa.
WINTER: So what did you think of Stephen when you first met him?
REEVES: Dude! He was awesome! Did you know I'm gonna be in The Matrix Reloaded?
WINTER: Um, yeah...I think I read about that somewhere...
[repeat ad nauseam...]
biggrin.gif

------------------
Have you ever noticed anyone driving slower than you is an idiot? And anyone driving faster than you is a maniac!! - George Carlin
ICQ: 55259446 (or just search for "John Shaft"...can you dig?)
[Edited last by Kevin Leonard on August 31, 2001 at 01:13 AM]

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I saw one of the deleted Bogus Journey scenes when they aired it on TV. Basically the Reaper and Bill have this big thing about gum while they're driving to the concert from Home Depot. It was a real padding scene, but it would be nice to see it on the DVD
From looking at my Bogus Journey tape, I'd say it's definately 1.85:1 OAR, probably because of all of the floating/flying they were doing. I think BJ had a lower budget too
Jeff Kleist

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
Well, I'm a little disappointed at the lack of extras, but as for these films finally being released...
(sound of me air guitaring an amazing riff)
------------------
Andrew Hamm's new album Link Removed is available now!

ChristopherM

Stunt Coordinator
Earlier in this thread, Bill Catherall suggested an in-character scripted commentary by Reeves & Winter.
Let me tell you, those two don't need a script. At the time that each movie was released, in-character interviews with Bill & Ted were screened by Cinemattractions. They were hilarious, and were clearly ad-libbed.
In fact, Reeves must have really loved playing his character - why else would he have joined Winter in providing the voices for the first series of the animated version? His career was moving at that point and he wouldn't have needed the money.
With this in mind, I believe that Reeves would probably be happy to do a commentary on "Excellent Adventure", if not "Bogus Journey" (he was once reported as saying that he turned down Speed 2 because his "only other sequel" turned out badly - if this quote were true, though, then he seems to have abandoned the policy now).

SteveMc

Stunt Coordinator
With an anamorphic 5.1 transfer for 15 bucks, I am definately a happy guy. Yeah extras would be great, but I am just geeked that I can get em before xmas. For that price i can live without em. Now if we can just get the soundtracks in DVD-audio! :) The soudtracks are definately a guilty pleasure of mine. (Yes, I love hair bands from the 80's)
------------------
Crash
"I don't even own a gun, let alone many guns that would necessitate an entire rack."
Help us get the Friday the 13th films-UNCUT. Click Here or here

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks