What's new

WMC dead. What's the future of HTPC? (1 Viewer)

Patrick Mason

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick
Whether or not you use an Apple TV, I think Raul's approach outlined above is basically "the future" for HTPCs. You will rip your content to a computer that hosts files to streaming boxes or other devices on your network. You can accomplish the same thing by using Plex with a Roku box or game console. And it's only a matter of time (and likely a short amount of time) before Apple finally updates their Apple TV offering with an App Store, which will open up more options with that device.

The only piece of this puzzle that's really missing to my mind is a library interface that can combine your purchased streaming content (from iTunes or Vudu, etc) with the titles stored on your home media server, and simply launch the appropriate playback software for the selected title.

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
I just tried another app.

Air Video HD

It's great!

Server version is free on my iMac, pointing to my Movies folder on my Drobo 5N. Then installed the iOS version ($2.99) on my iPad and iPhone.

I can now see my movies on these devices and also using AirPlay with AppleTV I can see them on my various TV's. (I have several Apple TV's)

Raul

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
Also my brother who lives in Florida can also see my movie library from his iPhone / iPad devices, once i gave him my server PIN.

Note: It doesn't work for DRM protected movies (bought from iTunes).

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Sam Posten said:
My point is that small boxes for consumption rather than ripping have essentially won. There is no large scale HTPC market any more, it's now a niche within a niche.
In terms of the market, streaming is winning over discs. And so goes the niche HTPC market.

Hence my question: what's the future of HTPCs? The answer is: most of its purported convenience is subsumed by streaming and 6-tuner, whole-house DVRs. For the ripped-disc holdouts, options are reducing, I think.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Clinton McClure said:
I'm still considering picking up an entry level Mac Mini and a Drobro.

That's what I use. I have four drobos daisy chained. I run Plex to stream and organize things. It works pretty well.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Mac Plex Media Server app and Mac Plex Home Theater App. I use iTunes for music because Plex is too graphics intensive to work well with a large music library.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I have several computers in the house with the Home Theater app. They all tap into the server running Media Server. The server drives my main theater too, so it has Home Theater too.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I was all prepared to take advantage of the free Windows 10 upgrade offer until I saw this caveat on the compatibility screen:
W10-wmc-warning.png

I use the SmartTV options built into my LG TV and the streaming "channels" in my Roku for a lot of my content, but 7MC is still too central to my media ecosystem to give up lightly. I DVR everything and purposefully delay watching so as to allow me to skip commercials. The TWC app on on the Roku is surprisingly robust and would do a decent job replacing live TV viewing, but that's such a small part of my TV consumption as to be almost meaningless for me.

And 7MC remains the most hassle free solution I've found to play my saved video files on the TV. I have a WDTV box, currently hooked up to my parents' TV, that would replace most of that functionality. But for all practical purposes that's limited to what can fit on the 1 TB hard drive inside it, and copying files to it is much slower and unwieldy than playing them straight from the PC hard drive.

The news isn't surprising, given that Microsoft hasn't made any significant WMC development strides since 2009, but it's still very disappointing. I was hoping they would at least port over the functionality as-is via an add-on like they did with Windows 8.

I was seriously considering buying a Ceton Echo, but now I'm glad I didn't since this move by Microsoft essentially cuts the legs out from under the whole WMC extender market.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm very glad I didn't buy into WMC back in 2013. when I was comparing a Ceton system to a new TiVo,

I'm curious, though...around 2013-2014 when the Xbox One was coming soon and Windows 8 was not fully baked, I asked about the future of WMC. And the answer, an informed rumor, was something significant is coming. But the final answer is it's dead.

Perhaps I misremember. Assuming not, I wonder what was planned and why it was killed?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
From what I've read today, Microsoft did statistical analysis of Windows 7 and Windows 8 users and found that only a relatively small percentage used WMC at all, and the majority of those that did only used it to play DVDs. The passionate base of users that use 7MC to its full potential is too small for Microsoft to care about, and they anticipate it getting even smaller as more and more people "cut the cord."

Microsoft is on the record as saying they plan to roll out a stand alone DVD (and perhaps Blu-Ray?) playback solution for Windows 10 in the coming months. In the meantime I'd imagine most people will use free options like VLC. Most people who use their PCs for home theater disc playback probably already have a more robust premium software PowerDVD or ArcSoft anyway. I still prefer sticking with a standalone Blu-Ray player for that purpose.

robcy

Auditioning
Real Name
Roberto Calderon
I for one will hold on to my 7MC for as long as possible. The convenience that I have with its use can not be replicated unless I get 4 new devices, running 5 services, and a multitude of accounts, passwords, and monthly fees. I have the HTPC, an HP x280n, a Linksys DMA2200, and an XBox 360, The HTPC contains dual 4 tuner Cetons, and it has been rock solid for years. My kid records his cartoons, the wife the soaps, and I record my shows. Any Movies we get are converted into WMV then added into the NAS. This system paid for its self a long time ago by allowing me to avoid the high rental fees of whole house DVR systems, that do not include my movies. I get that MS is moving away from WMC since it does take a certain type of geek to setup and run, but when the time finally arrives to replace my setup I will definitely miss it.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I agree completely, Roberto. I'll probably go with Windows 10 for my next computer, but this decision means that I'll still keep my current computer to use as a DVR. And I have no pressing issues with Windows 7 that would entice me to switch; much like XP before it, I don't need to fix what isn't broken.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
DaveF said:
In terms of the market, streaming is winning over discs. And so goes the niche HTPC market.

Hence my question: what's the future of HTPCs? The answer is: most of its purported convenience is subsumed by streaming and 6-tuner, whole-house DVRs. For the ripped-disc holdouts, options are reducing, I think.
I dont think there is a small market for the HTPC type product I think its still viable but its done differently now. NAS and Home servers are popular and getting more popular. Private or personal clouds in homes are also gaining traction and one of the big storage "buzz words" in 2015. The need for a HTPC under the TV has been replaced with a server and smaller boxes or chromecast like devices on each TV. It has centralized the media experience in the home. If you look at your favorite media box and the app stores you will see apps like Plex in the top downloaded or most popular. People are taking their collections of movies, tv, music, family photos and films and going this route now. As we get more and more into downloads as collectors and buyers of media this "NAS or server" concept will become more popular as well as offsite cloud storage.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I use my HTPC just for cable TV via Cable Cards. I work for AT&T and we will be getting steep DirecTV discounts soon, so I will probably take advantage of those when they become available and turn off my WMC ecosystem then.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
For those who love building their own boxes, you might want to start looking into Raspberry Pi seriously. The Pi 2 has a quad core processor and runs Plex beautifully.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Without crossing forum rules, I'm
curious if folks think the era of the HTPC ended yesterday?

I need to learn more, but I'm pessimistic about it being worthwhile to build an HTPC this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks