What's new

WKRP In Cincinnati (1 Viewer)

Bob Movies

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone heard if WKRP In Cincinnati will be coming out on DVD? It only ran four seasons, but it's absolutely hilarious. Just saw my first few episodes a few weeks ago, and I've been eager to get my hands on the rest.

Bob

Matt.Koz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Kozlowski
C'mon Fox...I know there's alot of music to clear, but just a little WKRP to honor the Big Guy's (Gordon Jump) passing. Please! Just stick your toe in the water.

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
This topic has been beat to death. A quick search for WKRP would bring all kinds of responses (both here and in the Studio and Manufacturer Feedback). The music licenses required make this a (sadly) impossible dream.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
i have the first season of WKRP and was hoping to see the remainder of the series released. However, it appears that this another stalled series. I am ok if that is the case, because Season #1 has some classic episodes, like fish story, drinking test, foot powder,turkey drop, hooligan rock, etc. The other season has some good episodes, but, i felt season #1 was the best season of the show.h

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Until the two parter with the transmission tower being blown up and Johnny being terrified the phone police are coming after him for breaking a telephone is out on DVD, this series is incomplete in my opinion. :)

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Same here

I just wanted to give props to two of my favorite WKRP episodes. Uncut or edited, no DVD release of WKRP would ever be complete without that classic 2 part episode.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
this series will never be complete until all the original music is put back in.

btw here is a much longer discussion.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/222433/is-there-a-ray-of-hope-for-wkrp

kemcha

Second Unit
Real Name
Jaref
The complaints of online fans don't move studios on how they release their own shows. Thing is that WKRP is just one of those shows that come along with every licensing problem under the sun. Every episode is saturated with classic rock from the 60's, 70's and 80's.

While I think everyone has a reason why the original music should be included, this series will NEVER, EVER be released on DVD with the original music. 20th Century Fox has a real problem on his hands with this series. The only way that this series will be released is if 20th Century Fox and the Music Industry can strike up a deal that allows profit sharing of the sale of each DVD boxed set instead of a licensing agreement. This would allow the series to be released.

Unless this happens, don't expect this series to ever be released in either "in part" or "as a whole."

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I don't think anyone in their right mind would ever expect this series to be properly released. Wanting it to happen doesn't mean it will. It's a real shame all around.

kemcha

Second Unit
Real Name
Jaref
And, I'm not disputing that. However, while just about everyone here continues to complain about the status of WKRP, nobody is willing to look on the other side of the coin and recognize the position of 20th Century Fox.

The one thing that most everyone is forgetting is that WKRP is saturated with classic rock music from the 60's, 70's and 80's and the licensing fees would be "cost-prohibitive" for the studio. So, rather than not release the series at all, Fox decided to release an edited version of the first season.

If it came down to a choice of not seeing the series released at all compared to an edited version (that contains replaced music), it would be preferred to see a legally released copy of the series.

Just remember. This series will never be released with the original music intact unless 20th Century Fox and the Music Industry come up with a different way of compensating the music artists for their music re: some sort of profit sharing plan in regards to the release of those episodes which their music appears on.

I would rather see an edited version that contains replaced music rather than taking the chance of never seeing the series released.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
It's not just that we'd be getting generic music substitutions. I could almost live with the songs being played on the radio being something different.

As I understand it, there's no seperate audio tracks for this series. So it's not as simple as just changing songs since anytime there's someone like Johnny talking while a song is being played on the radio, there's no way to distinguish between the two to do the editing.

So you have to cut scenes entirely, cut parts of scenes out, etc. There's no way to just target the on air music.

I'd rather have no home video releases then a hack job.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Originally Posted by LeoAmes /forum/thread/36206/wkrp-in-cincinnati#post_3664638

It's not just that we'd be getting generic music substitutions. I could almost live with the songs being played on the radio being something different.

As I understand it, there's no seperate audio tracks for this series. So it's not as simple as just changing songs since anytime there's someone like Johnny talking while a song is being played on the radio, there's no way to distinguish between the two to do the editing.

So you have to cut scenes entirely, cut parts of scenes out, etc. There's no way to just target the on air music.

I'd rather have no home video releases then a hack job.
Exactly, that's why I don't recognize this as a real release.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
At this point in DVD history, I think the only way to release this show is as a complete series box set.
One season at a time isn't going to be a big draw for real fans of the show, the trust is broken to just buy
it on hope that more seasons are coming. Our trust has been betrayed too many times to count.

It's all or nothing at this point.

Even if the set was expensive, there would be people who'd pay for the real deal, I know I would in a heartbeat.
WKRP would be my #1 show on DVD to own.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Yes I would too that way, all or nothing - at any price. C'mon Fox make the exception/effort, you'll be happy and we'll be even happier.

kemcha

Second Unit
Real Name
Jaref
The problem everyone seems forgetting is what kind of solution can the studios come up with that will satisfy the music industry. 20th Century Fox simply cannot afford to pay licensing fees to everyone whose music appears through the series so what better solution can they come up with?

1. Music Replacement
2. Revenue/Profit Sharing with Music Industry
3. Not Release it At All

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
If i win the lottery this weekend,
i'll offer $50 million to fox to get out the dvds within a 30 day period.
wish me luck!

kemcha

Second Unit
Real Name
Jaref
I wouldn't. I'd just purchase a bootleg copy, remastered, of course ... :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member