What's new

WKRP...Complete Series Coming Soon! (See Post #109) (1 Viewer)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
^Boy... they're cutting it *close*! With a September 23rdth "get it on" date when ordered direct that gives them only 2-3 weeks to get the sets ready and shipped!

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
BobO'Link said:
^Boy... they're cutting it *close*! With a September 23rdth "get it on" date when ordered direct that gives them only 2-3 weeks to get the sets ready and shipped!
Might be part of their negotiating tactics for licensors to let them know that the train is leaving the station.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Antenna TV aired the episode that focused on the Russian hog expert who has a crush on Bailey and featured the song Tiny Dancer. All evidence of that song was removed. Hope it's back in this new set because of the dialogue that uses the lyrics from the song.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
What has me worried with this 'down to the wire' business is this doesn't leave much time for any type of good editing for the episodes with unclearable music. Especially if there is any re-recording of dialogue or new dialogue that needs to be put in place over existing scenes to remove the music. If they wait until the very last minute, then I'm guessing that the solution is going to be to delete the scenes with unclearable music all together. I'm not going to be too happy about that if it happens. Or they may have to go with existing dubbed dialogue from the current syndication package. From what I hear, that stuff is pretty bad and highly noticeable.

I'm willing to give Shout the benefit of the doubt, but they've burned me once too often for me to completely trust them.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Brian Himes said:
What has me worried with this 'down to the wire' business is this doesn't leave much time for any type of good editing for the episodes with unclearable music. Especially if there is any re-recording of dialogue or new dialogue that needs to be put in place over existing scenes to remove the music. If they wait until the very last minute, then I'm guessing that the solution is going to be to delete the scenes with unclearable music all together. I'm not going to be too happy about that if it happens. Or they may have to go with existing dubbed dialogue from the current syndication package. From what I hear, that stuff is pretty bad and highly noticeable.

I'm willing to give Shout the benefit of the doubt, but they've burned me once too often for me to completely trust them.
I'm thinking the same as you.
Shout and "down to the wire" doesn't sound that good together. They flub up more often than I would like.
I hope I end up completely wrong about my concerns.

Hasslein

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
I wish we would get both the original broadcast cut and the original syndication cut, because many of the shows play much funnier in the syndicated cut. The one with Carlson's son is the first that comes to mind. The confrontation between Venus and him is much funnier in the syndicated edit.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Hasslein said:
I wish we would get both the original broadcast cut and the original syndication cut, because many of the shows play much funnier in the syndicated cut. The one with Carlson's son is the first that comes to mind. The confrontation between Venus and him is much funnier in the syndicated edit.
How so?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Hasslein said:
No. It isn't.

Hasslein

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Dave Lawrence said:
When his son calls Venus "boy" they cut away from it right after the comment, keeping it lighter. In the original version, the confrontation is ugly and awkward as Venus grabs him & picks him up.

The scene resumes in both versions with the son saying "He just tried to kill me!" Then Herb saying "Venus shouldn't be picking on little white kids!

"How about big white kids!?!" :lol:

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i think whatever delays are a good thing

as i said earlier, i thought wonder years would set a precedent for all these shows where music rights is an issue

the rights holders are seeing just how much was cleared for that show, and are beginning to realize that something is indeed better than nothing

plus whatever deal they worked out with wonder years will probably be a blueprint for starting out with other shows.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Well, here we are in September and the set is supposed to ship 21 days from now. So far, there has been no news of any delays or rescheduling of the release date. In my opinion it looks like this is a go. Shout could still delay the release date or even choose not to do the early shipping for the direct pre-orders. Until the set is in my hands, anything is possible. At this point however, it is my firm guess that the train has left the station. Time's up. Now all I can do is keep my fingers crossed that things turn out well. I'll know in 21 days or less.

Please, please, oh please Shout don't mess this one up.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I kind of already made my peace with the fact we won't hear Pink Floyd on this release and a few others... it is just normal that it would be so hard to get certain songs. If they did all they could and secured as much music as possible then I'm in for it. It comes down to the songs Wonder Years did really well for their set, but again it comes down to the songs / artists / labels they needed to license from. I have my fingers crossed for at least over 90% of the music. But am I over shooting?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Powell&Pressburger said:
It comes down to the songs Wonder Years did really well for their set, but again it comes down to the songs / artists / labels they needed to license from. I have my fingers crossed for at least over 90% of the music. But am I over shooting?
The Wonder Years and its success with clearing so much music is going to be what the WKRP set gets compared to and WKRP is going to get killed by fans who compare the two. In my opinion, it's not even fair to compare the two because the price for The Wonder Years is more than double than WKRP and I'm sure Time Life is planning on selling more of The Wonder Years than Shout is going to sell of WKRP.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Just saying no matter who releases these shows Shout or Life Time it all comes down to the songs / artist / labels. if Wonder Years contained 10 Led Zeppelin tracks chances are we'd be very dissapointed with the release. it would be great if maybe this week Shout gives fans news about what was cleared and what couldn't be cleared. Better to be up front you can get more sales. I'm more prone to buy the set knowing what I am getting rather then be angry as I watch the set and find out that way.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
That is surely something S!F must have considered too, to say or not to say, by not saying anything (knowing fans would cause an uproar if the release is poor) it would seem like they're fairly sure most people will be happy. Otherwise silence is risking one's neck big time, they know this particular show's huge importance in the cult TV landscape.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I took to Twitter today to try for some news from Shout Factory,
"Nothing yet. You guys (meaning Facebook Twitter more than likely) will be the first to know. We Want to present accurate info."
and I then asked if any release dates or early ship orders Direct from Shout would be delayed -
"...everything is still on track. We're just finalizing details"
We are down to the wire but I would guess everything is final at this point just making sure everything is in order so they don't specify wrong info. I would guess with episodes they are down to the wire those discs are last to be pressed and the ones that are ok'd are ready to go. Which makes sense. No use waiting to the last minute to press every single disc if discs 3,4,7,9 are waiting. (of course this is just me typing outloud) :)

Chareth

Agent
Real Name
Jack
The Amazon listing now says:

"Please note: Where possible, original music from the series is included in this release. Over 70% of the original music is contained in the set. Missing music is due to inability to obtain rights for some content."

No idea how long it's been up there, but I've checked the last few months of posts in this thread and didn't see a mention of it. Hopefully Shout's last minute negotiations have yielded significantly more than 70% too.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
That has been up for a long while now. Someone qouted someone from WKRP saying it was closer to 85% cleared and that they were still working for more at that point. I was hoping SHOUT would give news this week sometime. I would imagine the sets are done at this point and discs pressed.

I asked last week on twitter and SHOUT said no dates have been pushed back not even for the SHOUT early release. So what is done is done Time for them to give us the news they have.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks