What's new

WKRP...Complete Series Coming Soon! (See Post #109) (1 Viewer)

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
Matt.Koz said:
Gotcha. Thanks for the explanation. OT but how is a discrete 5.1 mix able to be made after the fact for a videotaped show as on the Donny and Marie DVDs?Nevermind. I actually found an interview with Donny Osmond on this very subject on mix online.
That was actually a really interesting article. Here is a link if anyone else wants to read it.

http://mixonline.com/mag/audio_call_techie_love/

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Lord Dalek said:
Actually VT can have separate tracks, its just not a regular occurrence.
Exactly. Background music, sound FX, etc. can be added in post production, and often are, and it has been possible for quite a long time (maybe not in VT's earliest days in the '50s and '60s, but certainly by the time WKRP came along). Doctor Who certainly had that technology available at least as early as 1975, when "The Brain of Morbius" was recorded, because in syndication, part one is sometimes shown missing the sound FX and music.

The problem with WKRP likely is that the original 2" studio tapes (before any post-production sound would have been added) likely no longer exist. As the show had already been "assembled", all that was needed to keep was the fully-mixed episode. No one would have thought of home video/syndication (and having to make changes) or they'd have kept those master tapes.

of course, it's also possible that in some of the scenes (particularly in the DJ booth) that "live" sound might have been playing during recording anyway, and if that were the case, then nothing could be done to remove the songs in those instances.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Andy, I think your explanation makes loads of sense. I really wish we had one of the sound men from the show here to explain just exactly the who, what, when, where, why and how of it all. I do agree with you that the 'assembled' tapes are all that probably exist now.

Well, in less than two months we're gonna know exactly what has taken place with this show. It will be in my hands on or about 9/23 and the results will be posted here for everyone to see. If Shout's shipping holds true, I will probably be getting the set about four days early. I got my Bob Newhart set and Welcome Back Kotter set about a week before they said they would ship. Keeping my fingers crossed. I'm very anxious to dive into this set.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Have there been any news on how much music has been cleared as of late? I know sometimes on Facebook they drop news but I don't do it at all so in the dark. I know some rumors a month + ago was that possibly 80 or was it 85% was cleared they were still working on more clearances. With news today of StarVista and what songs they were not a bale to clear for wonder years I have to say what they did clear was great and what they were not able to clear was sad but I would still buy that set. Something tells me trying to get Pink Floyd's music on this release would be a pipe dream so I have made my peace that there is no way I'm gonna get that on the release. Hopefully we will hear more news soon!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
What wasn't cleared fron TV shows on DVD. Comhttp://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Wonder-Years-The-Complete-Series/20182From the episode, "The Phone Call":Love Theme from Romeo and Juliet - Soundtrackused replacement song Lovers Theme/The Star-Crossed LoversFrom the episode, "Heart of Darkness":Riders on the Storm - The Doorsused replacement song Children of the NightHere Comes the Sun - Richie Havensused replacement song Train to NowhereFrom the episode, "Whose Woods Are These?":Variations on a Theme by Erik Satie (1st and 2nd Movements) - Blood, Sweat & Tearsused replacement song Le Seunne FiteFrom the episode, "How I'm Spending My Summer Vacation":Light My Fire - The Doorsused replacement song Love's on FireFrom the episode, "Summer Song":Spinning Wheel - Blood, Sweat & Tearsused David Clayton-Thomas versionFrom the episode, "Wayne On Wheels":Love Theme from Romeo and Juliet - Soundtrackused replacement song Romeo & Juliet with Narration/Lovers ThemeFrom the episode, "The Family Car":Long May You Run - Neil Youngused replacement song Keep Your Motor RunningFrom the episode, "The Tree House":Whatever Will Be, Will Be (Que Sera, Sera)used replacement song Let's Call The Whole Thing OffFrom the episode, "Little Debbie":Tammy - Liberaceused replacement song SammyFrom the episode, "The Wonder Years":Here Comes the Sun - Richie Havensused replacement song Train to NowhereFrom the episode, "Kevin Delivers":You've Made Me So Very Happy - Blood, Sweat & Tearsused David Clayton-Thomas versionFrom the episode, "Alice in Autoland":Let's Stay Together - Al Greenreplaced with soundalike versionFrom the episode, "Independence Day":The Mission - Soundtrackused replacement song PastoraleTaken from: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Wonder-Years-The-Complete-Series/20182#ixzz3An87hzrG

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Sadly there has not been any news one way or another from Shout Factory regarding the music for WKRP. The one little tid bit we got that they will be working on the music clearance right up to the wire has been it. Nothing new since then. I really, really wish they were being as transparent about this release as Time Life is being with The Wonder Years. This is the one time where they really need to be putting their best foot forward and they aren't. I know in the past they've made some promises about things to be included on their DVD sets only later to see those promises fall through. So, maybe this time they are thinking silence is best policy. Not with a release that is as high profile as this one. Honesty is the best policy in my opinion.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
Brian Himes said:
So, maybe this time they are thinking silence is best policy. Not with a release that is as high profile as this one. Honesty is the best policy in my opinion.
Agreed, they should be transparent. It is no advantage to keep silent, anyone who cares about the music issue will be finding the truth the second the set comes out and gets dissected by fans instantly on the Internet. At this point, I'm taking silence to mean there is no definitive list yet, that things are still being worked on. We'll know soon enough, and I certainly am not planning on any purchase until I know what I'm buying.

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
Even if we don't know before it comes out - everyone will know once it comes out. Again I don't it. I don't see this as a conspiracy.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
One good aspect about all this is that it's being released a month early if ordered directly from Shout! This means for those of us who used Amazon, or other vendors, we'll know well before the orders ship if we're willing to live with the omissions.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Brian Himes said:
Sadly there has not been any news one way or another from Shout Factory regarding the music for WKRP. The one little tid bit we got that they will be working on the music clearance right up to the wire has been it. Nothing new since then. I really, really wish they were being as transparent about this release as Time Life is being with The Wonder Years. This is the one time where they really need to be putting their best foot forward and they aren't. I know in the past they've made some promises about things to be included on their DVD sets only later to see those promises fall through. So, maybe this time they are thinking silence is best policy. Not with a release that is as high profile as this one. Honesty is the best policy in my opinion.
Yes, Shout should come out and say what hasn't been cleared. People will find out anyway, and saying it up front will save a lot of discussion and limit potential negative comments.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Brian Himes said:
I've had my pre-order in with Shout for a while now. So, as promised, once it arrives I will be going through each episode to let everyone here now exactly what is or is not on the set.
I think I thanked you before for taking the bullet for the rest of us.

Your review/nitpicking will decide whether I order it early or not at all.

Even something as small as all the episodes running at 25 minutes and being unedited would probably convince me to buy the set.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Brian Himes said:
I've had my pre-order in with Shout for a while now. So, as promised, once it arrives I will be going through each episode to let everyone here now exactly what is or is not on the set.
I want to thank you, also. Your review will let me decide whether or not I cancel my pre-order with Amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks