What's new

Wizard Of Oz and Gremlins out 9/29: Post Your Finds! (1 Viewer)

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
The Target edition of the Wizard of Oz for 34.99 looks to be very limited. My Target only got four of those in, along with two of the Ultimate Collector's Edition. Gremlins was no where to be found, even though it was advertised.

The Target edition of the Wizard of Oz is the way to go. This is what WB should've had as the OTHER option in all retail stores and online distributors if you didn't want the big box.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
ROTFLMAO! Great post, Ron. I'll be in a line for an autograph later.

I remember when Disney's Newsies hit DVD I felt that same way. I think I even went to my local Best Buy the day before to see if they had put any out early.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
A very enjoyable post, Ron, and one which many of us can identify with, maybe not about GREMLINS, but about a favorite film we finally get our hands on. I'll feel that way when I get my hands on the UCE of OZ.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'm very happy with the Walmart edition. I have no interest in the silent films or the Ritter TV movie. After all the talk about the UCE being so overpriced, it's nice that we were actually given multiple choices. It's even nicer that I paid less than half for the Walmart edition what I sold the 2 disc DVD edition for.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by RobertR

Well, I'm very happy with the Walmart edition. I have no interest in the silent films or the Ritter TV movie.
Me, too. But I keep wavering on if the extra $15 is worth the price of the M-G-M documentary. I don't already have it and have never seen it. I'm not sure I can justify that extra expense right now (or for the re-purchase of the film for that matter--but it IS the Wizard of Oz).

After all the talk about the UCE being so overpriced, it's nice that we were actually given multiple choices.
Amen, brother.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

Me, too. But I keep wavering on if the extra $15 is worth the price of the M-G-M documentary. I don't already have it and have never seen it. I'm not sure I can justify that extra expense right now (or for the re-purchase of the film for that matter--but it IS the Wizard of Oz).

Amen, brother.
:) Yes, the MGM doc was the only reason I might have gone for the Target version. If it helps any, Mike, I'm thinking Target will do something similar with Gone With the Wind, and I may go for that version, which may very well have the MGM doc.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Is the MGM doc going to be in the UCE of GWTW, too?!?

That would seem like odd marketing to me.

Robert: Why would you decide to wait for a stripped-down version of GWTW to get the MGM doc rather than just spring for the Target WoO? Maybe you're more interested in the GWTW bonus features?

RobertR

Senior HTF Member

Is the MGM doc going to be in the UCE of GWTW, too?!?

That would seem like odd marketing to me.

Robert: Why would you decide to wait for a stripped-down version of GWTW to get the MGM doc rather than just spring for the Target WoO? Maybe you're more interested in the GWTW bonus features?
Mike:

Exactly. I've gone over the GWTW bonus features, and they're all related to the making of the film (no alternate versions or TV movies). Yes, the MGM doc is in the GWTW UCE.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Your decision sounds so well-reasoned (assuming WB & Target do a similar exclusive release with GWTW) I may just join you in your tack.

Wal-mart, here I come!

Did your W-M, Robert, have lots of copies?

RobertR

Senior HTF Member

Did your W-M, Robert, have lots of copies?
I went to the Riverside Walmart about 6 blocks from me and they had NONE, not even a placeholder. So I drove to Corona, about 4 miles away, and they had about half a dozen. Good luck with your "treasure hunt". :)

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Got Gremlins when the store opened in Westland Michigan. They only had about three copies. Aspect ratio 1:85.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I got to my Target a few minutes after they opened at around 8 AM EST. Gremlins was on the shelf already, so I grabbed one. Then I looked around frantically for their Wizard of Oz exclusive and couldn't find it. Finally, I found the place holder for the release, and I asked one of the Target employees stocking the new releases if they had received it. They had; and she pulled a literally case-fresh copy from the shipping container. Yay!

I opted to go with the Target WoZ over the Wal-Mart one for a couple of reasons. One, the Target release is all encompassing so far as disc-related contents is concerned. Two, I hate Wal-Mart. Three, I can never be sure Wal-Mart will have anything I want. The later is one of the many reasons for point two.

Anyway, good hunting everyone!

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Picked up Wizard of Oz at Wal*Mart for the $19.95 for the one disc...PERFECT!!!

Now that's the way they need to release all BDs. If you want all the other stuff, then offer it as another package.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
I decided to get the Target edition, and cancel my Amazon UK order. They had 1 left. I suppose I would have gone to Wal-mart if Target had been sold out of their edition but I figured if I did, I might not want to sell my previous edition due to the extras in that set.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Those purchasing the Walmart version might want to make note of the fact that NONE of the bonus content listed on the "Only at Walmart" sticker on the front of the Blu-ray is actually IN the package. That sticker lists three features that are found only on Blu-ray Disc #2 of the UCE and Target sets.

Granted, the Walmart 1-disc does contain all of the bonus material found on disc #1 of the UCE and Target sets (all three versions share the same disc #1). But Walmart (or Warner) screwed up with regard to that sticker on the front! That stuff isn't there and it's not available via BD Live either.

Just sayin'.

Mark

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Mark Booth

Those purchasing the Walmart version might want to make note of the fact that NONE of the bonus content listed on the "Only at Walmart" sticker on the front of the Blu-ray is actually IN the package. That sticker lists three features that are found only on Blu-ray Disc #2 of the UCE and Target sets.
Fortunately for me, I don't care about those features or anything else on disc 2. :)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I purchased the blu-ray box of junk for $42.49 at Borders using a 50% off list price of one item coupon.
http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/7186/33209915.jpg
Coupon link came from DVD Talk. Coupon good until 9/30/09.
There are no Target Stores in NYC and I figured if I waited until after work, Target would be sold out, which happens often. Anyway I paid $7.50 more than the Target price. I am OK with that.

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
I was at my local Target today and they had both the Wizard of Oz non-ultimate and Gremlins on an end cap. The Wizard of Oz has the lion that roared doc. At $34, it is still too high for me. I wonder if the $19.99 Walmart version is the same as Target's.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Jeff: The $20 W-M version is only Disc #1 of the Target set.

Check Post #37 above by RobertR and you'll see the contents of Discs #1 & #2. Disc #3 in the Target set is the M-G-M documentary "When the Lion Roared." Disc #4 in the Ult. CE is a digital copy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.