What's new

Withnail & I Criterion is not anamorphic (1 Viewer)

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
http://www.currentfilm.com/dvdreviews2/withnailandidvd.html
Same with How to Get Ahead in Advertising
This is a big blow to Bruce Robinson fans...
The Channel Four UK documentary that I was told *might* be on there hasn't been included either. A shame.
However, somewhat bizarrely, I still recommend the disc as Withnail and I can only shine through, whatever its presentation.
Please add a quote from the film to any subsequent posts!
"We want the finest wines available to humanity, and we want them here, and we want them now!"

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Criterion has really been dropping the ball lately.
Quality has been on the decline for some time now.
There's no excuse for non-anamorphic transfers.

Duncan

Auditioning
That is too bad. Any commentary track on this one?
I assure you officer, I've only had a few ales.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
This has slipped way down on my priority purchases list thanks to this sad news.
frown.gif

"How do we make it die?"
Dan (UK)
------------------
Visit: Link Removed

Duncan Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
This is pretty poor, wonder what their excuse is?
I thought that Anchor Bay had the Handmade library and hence would be releasing this - we'd probably have got anamorphic from them...
Still, it will be better than the old Criterion LD, so I'll be buying it.
Remember - all hairdressers are in the employment of the government!

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Uh-oh, looks like Criterion have been getting advice from MGM...
rolleyes.gif

Another one off my list.
frown.gif

Alister Willis

Auditioning
This is disappointing
frown.gif

I was hoping that the sites that listed it as non-anamorphic were incorrect, but I guess they weren't.
With no real extras so to speak, (a poster is a nice idea but...) I'm not sure whether I will be buying this now...
"We've gone on holiday by mistake. We're in this cottage here."
Woody

Don Myles

Stunt Coordinator
Damn - I have been looking forward to trading up from my old worn out VHS copy.
Guess I'll have to wait a few years until the Criterion contract runs out and hope that somebody does the movie the justice it deserves.
Don

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Oh, come on! I'm sure we've all seen worse, and it's not the kind of film that would benefit hugely from a 5th-Element-quality transfer, anyway.
Some of you really need to concentrate more on the film and less on the picture. I know it's a principal thing, and I admire you most of the time by sticking to your guns, but is it really worth denying yourself many, many painfully funny viewings of the film, until a new version is released? How many of you have ruined perfectly good sofas beyond dry-cleaning by screaming with laughter at worn-out pan-and-scan VHS tapes of it?
BTW, Bruce Robinson refuses to do a commentary for it, as he's sick of talking about it, and has made nothing from it except a very low writing/directing fee during the film's production, and others seem to be cashing in on it.
And as for comments regarding Criterion dropping the ball recently - nonsense! I admit these two are pretty big smudges on their reputation, but nearly all of their recent work (The Hidden Fortress, The Blob, Do The Right Thing, Written on the Wind, Diary of a Chambermaid, etc.) puts their earlier release to shame.
Buy it!
------------------
"Here lies Ash Buchanan, protected by the Ejaculation of Serpents" - coming to DVD on 21st August 2001

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Yes, Criterion's recent work has been extraordinary, but this is unfortunate. I only know Withnail by reputation and I was considering buying it. I'll rent it now and save my $ for that amazing Dreyer Boxset!

Tony Terlecki

Auditioning
The only reason I was going to buy this DVD was because it was anamorphic and so would be a better presentation than my current widescreen SVHS copy (also anamorphic) which I taped recently from Film Four.
Sorry Criterion - not good enough. I won't be buying this one.
Tony

ChristopherM

Stunt Coordinator
R2 Project is now saying that the UK edition will carry a commentary by both Paul McGann and Ralph Brown, and that the release will be on 12 November.
Still no word on whether the picture will be anamorphic though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks