What's new

Wither Woody Woodpecker? (1 Viewer)

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I was watching some of the cartoons on the Volume 2 of the Woody Woodpecker set last night with my children and they were really enjoying it. I wanted to ask if anyone had thought about future releases. Last year, Jerry Beck said on Stu's Show that there would be a special Woody Woodpecker set for Universal's 100th (http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/288885/jerry-beck-on-stus-show-tommorrow-at-4/60 post 89), but it never happened (although there was a bonus disk in the Universal 100 Mega Set with many previously released cartoons). One thought I had was that, since Sony did well by selling the UPA set through TCM, perhaps Universal could release more Woody Woodpecker that way. Any thoughts?

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
I really liked the first two volumes of WOODY WOODPECKER & FRIENDS, although the fact that they burned through pretty much all the worthwhile Woody and Chilly Willy shorts presents a problem for further collections. While a lot of the other series/characters (most notably Andy Panda, but also Oswald, Swing Symphonies, Ma & Pa, Hickory Dickory & Doc) and one-shot cartoons are represented, there are still a bunch of these, particularly from the 1930s-1950s, that are still in the vaults. With 99% of the worthwhile Woody and Chilly cartoons already covered, a Volume 3 would be heavy with really lackluster (barring a tiny handful of exceptions) Woody & Chilly cartoons from the mid-1960s through 1972. They'd need to feature Woody, as he's the star character, and the one with lasting public recognition, to allow for the higher-quality earlier shorts to be included, but I think most people, apart from completists, would be pretty disappointed with the remaining Woody/Chilly cartoons they'd get in a Volume 3 (unless the double-dipped a number of the classics, but I think most would be against that, myself included), and they'd outnumber the non-Woody/Chilly shorts in the set... and a Volume 4 then probably wouldn't have any unreleased Woody Woodpecker shorts left to work with, and so would be really tough to market to a general audience. For me, ideally, the remaining older shorts would be a TCM Vault release (or MOD), simply titled 'Walter Lantz Cartoon Classics', focusing on the unreleased rare and earlier stuff that classic-era cartoon buffs me really want, along the lines of the non-Magoo UPA set they put out last year.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed the 2 volumes and was hoping they would complete it as well. Didn't they stop at around 1958 or 1959? So a volume 3 would probably only go to 1965 or 1966. Still alot of good material there, it wouldn't be until Volume 4 that we get mostly bottom of the barrel stuff. I believe volume 2 did not sell well enough just like Popeye Volume 3 which is why they were stopped.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks