What's new

With WKRP, Wonder Years and Batman now a reality, what's the next holy grail? (2 Viewers)

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I was thinking about this question a little more and I think for an adequate answer we have to recongize that their are 2 types of grail shows:

1) Unreleased Shows that garner a lot of widespread interest from many fans (Ozzie and Harriet. Make Room For Daddy, Sunset Strip, etc.)

2) Personal "Grail" shows that are very important for we personally but not in exceptionally high demand by many in the hobby as compared with the ones mentioned above. For me that would include shows like He and She, Run For Your Life, and THE Cat.

Point being that by the examples in the thread title, I interpreted that as shows falling in the #1 category (those were all highly demanded series) rather than personal lesser demanded shows (The Defenders, etc). If we use that perameter, I would say that 3 shows fit that category. Ozzie and Harriet (which I have absolutely zero interest in personally), 77 Sunset Strip, and Hawaiian Eye with those latter two being definites for me.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Actually my "Holy Grail" list is very near complete. What remains is:

-St. Elsewhere complete series

-Lassie complete series

-Saturday Night Live(all remaining seasons)

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
I will also say that I have most of the shows I want. I want more Hanna-Barbera & more shows on blu, but as far as owning copies in general, I have most of the ones I want, or they are available to purchase.

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
Well, for me these are my 2 holy grail shows:

1.) "Knots Landing" - This show has similar music rights issues like "WKRP". "Dallas" and "Dynasty" have now been completed. Now it's "Knots Landing" (and for that matter "Falcon Crest", another 80's prime time soap) turn to get completed. Both shows are Warner Brothers, and at this point I will take complete series from either a retail release OR Warners Archive program. Just get it done already Warner!!!!

2.) "The Drew Carey Show" - Another show that also has music rights issues and is also another Warner Brothers show. A few years ago, Shout Factory released "Norm" (Norm McDonald from "Saturday Night Live" and Laurie Metcalf from "Roseanne" starred in this 3 season show), several years ago, which had a similar premise to "The Drew Carey's Show". "Norm" too is owned by Warner Brothers, but Shout Factory released the DVD complete series. Since Shout Factory does such a great job with complete releases......I wish Warner Brothers would let Shout Factory take "The Drew Carey Show".....and get it done!!!!

Other honorable mentions for holy grails.......Last season of "Rhoda" would be nice. How about the other MTM show that gets talked about a lot on the forum.... "Phyllis"? Sony shows: "One Day At A Time" and "Maude". How about completing "The Jeffersons" and "Archie Bunkers Place". Paramount studio's I believe owns the 2 season 70's show "Angie" (also gets talked about a lot on the forum). The classic "Our Miss Brooks" (Not sure what studio it's from, but definitely gets talked about a lot). Wouldn't mind seeing more releases for "The Carol Burnett Show" and "Coach". And how about "Murphy Brown"? (another show with music rights issues AND again, a Warner Brothers show).

Don't get me wrong, I know I sound like I am picking on Warner Brothers. But when they do a DVD (or for that matter a Blu Ray) release, they do an excellent job! However, they do take FOREVER to get their TV Shows released!!! It's very frustrating!!!!

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
mrz7 said:
Well, for me these are my 2 holy grail shows:

1.) "Knots Landing" - This show has similar music rights issues like "WKRP". "Dallas" and "Dynasty" have now been completed. Now it's "Knots Landing" (and for that matter "Falcon Crest", another 80's prime time soap) turn to get completed. Both shows are Warner Brothers, and at this point I will take complete series from either a retail release OR Warners Archive program. Just get it done already Warner!!!!
It would be great to see at least season 4 of Knots Landing released on dvd.

I'm mainly interested in the crossover episodes, which feature Dallas characters (such as JR).

Recently I picked up seasons 1 and 2 of Knots Landing, largely to see the Dallas crossover episodes. But so far I've been finding season 1 somewhat "slow going" to watch. Season 2 seems to be more of the same (so far). These first two seasons seem to be mostly "standalone" type of episodes where everything is wrapped up by the end of the episode, with very little mentioned about events from previous episodes. (It doesn't seem to be "serialized" like Dallas was).

I never really watched Knots Landing back in its original first-run.

When does Knots Landing become a "serialized" show (like Dallas)?

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Like Ron said: Amos 'n Andy
Followed closely by Gary O's: The Adventures of Ozzy and Harriett
Then You'll Never Get Rich (aka Sgt. Bilko)
and Burns and Allen

I have others but those 4 are "Day 1" purchases should they ever hit these shores.

**EDIT**
I almost forgot!!!

The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour *and* Laugh-In - both with *full* season releases and all music/skits intact!

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
jcroy said:
It would be great to see at least season 4 of Knots Landing released on dvd.

I'm mainly interested in the crossover episodes, which feature Dallas characters (such as JR).

Recently I picked up seasons 1 and 2 of Knots Landing, largely to see the Dallas crossover episodes. But so far I've been finding season 1 somewhat "slow going" to watch. Season 2 seems to be more of the same (so far). These first two seasons seem to be mostly "standalone" type of episodes where everything is wrapped up by the end of the episode, with very little mentioned about events from previous episodes. (It doesn't seem to be "serialized" like Dallas was).

I never really watched Knots Landing back in its original first-run.

When does Knots Landing become a "serialized" show (like Dallas)?
I too have found early Knots to be slow-moving and I'm still not past S1 (I got the first two seasons a few years back for a steal), but don't forget many of those early Dallas episodes were also pretty self-contained (Bobby and J.R. in the plane crash; the Ewings held hostage at Southfork; Bobby kidnapped, etc).
Sorry I can't answer your question as I am watching it for the first time, but I've heard once Donna Mills' character starts to click and Michele Lee hooks up with Kevin Dobson it gets better.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Kasey said:
I too have found early Knots to be slow-moving and I'm still not past S1 (I got the first two seasons a few years back for a steal), but don't forget many of those early Dallas episodes were also pretty self-contained (Bobby and J.R. in the plane crash; the Ewings held hostage at Southfork; Bobby kidnapped, etc).
Is this from the season 1+2 Dallas dvd set?

I don't have the season 1+2 set. I started watching the original Dallas starting with the season 3 dvd set, with the "Who Shot JR?" cliffhanger at the end of the season.

(I ended up returning my season 1+2 dvd set for a refund, due to one of the discs being defective. It turned out episodes 7, 8, and 9 were missing entirely, and episodes 4, 5, and 6 were duplicated two times in this particular defective dvd set. A grave manufacturing defect).

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Kasey said:
Sorry I can't answer your question as I am watching it for the first time, but I've heard once Donna Mills' character starts to click and Michele Lee hooks up with Kevin Dobson it gets better.
I would love to have the season with Ava Gardner. Not sure which it is but I know it was a later season.

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
jcroy said:
Is this from the season 1+2 Dallas dvd set?

I don't have the season 1+2 set. I started watching the original Dallas starting with the season 3 dvd set, with the "Who Shot JR?" cliffhanger at the end of the season.

(I ended up returning my season 1+2 dvd set for a refund, due to one of the discs being defective. It turned out episodes 7, 8, and 9 were missing entirely, and episodes 4, 5, and 6 were duplicated two times in this particular defective dvd set. A grave manufacturing defect).
Yes, those episodes all aired in early 1978 and during the 1978-79 season. IMO the show didn't really take off until Mary Crosby replaced Colleen Camp as Kristen. She was one of my favorite characters in all 14 seasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks