What's new

With demise of places like Tower Records where are collectors buying their dvd's? (1 Viewer)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
But would enough customers? You're talking about a model that has already been driven out of business, and in fact been supplanted. "Special Order" is almost an anachronistic term, because why do that when you can just place a regular order at Amazon (or YesAsia, or Amazon UK...) and rather than have it waiting for you, have it delivered to your door, quite likely faster and cheaper?

Nostalgia's nice enough, but I don't think it would form the basis for a profitable retail establishment. In this case, I highly doubt that there are enough film buffs around to make something like "Laserland Redux" something with staying power.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I miss the local B&M's I used to frequent. Here in the SF Bay Area, there was a Mom and Pop shop called the Laserdisc Exchange that was a terrific place. They would sell at a reduced price and knew movies. They'd take special orders and had a great cliente. If they didn't carry it, they'd get it for you. But they closed, the internet and big box stores took away business.

Then in San Jose, there was a place called Laserland (IIRC) where they also sold video hardware and did rentals too. They had a large selection of foriegn titles, anime and rentals. They even had industry people come and make presentations and answer questions. Once they had the sound mixer for The Phantom Menace in the store who signed the DVD's for you. But this shop closed too for the same reasons. It's really a pity.

Ronn.W

Second Unit

I agree with the Special Order. That always cracks me up when I get offered that at a store, any store. Yeah, I can special order it too!

Maybe all cities couldn't support a retail store catering to film fanatics, but some can. Scarecrow Video in Seattle is a good example of that.

MTRodaba2468

Agent
Real Name
Matt Rodabaugh
I typically go to FYE, due to the fact that I work there, and as a result:

A) I get a discount (which helps, since I'll be the first to admit that we're pricey).

B) I can order anything I'm interested in, without having to pay a deposit. Hell, all the Criterion titles in our store, aside from The Life Aquatic and Chasing Amy were due to me placing orders through our company.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks