What's new

Wings is FINALLY coming to DVD!!! (1 Viewer)

Angela_K

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Angela
WOOHOO Finally! Great cover art. Glad they actually used pics from the first two seasons for the cover :D

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Glad to see that finally Paramount is wising up and releasing the first two seasons of this show as they seriously dropped the ball in not doing that with "Laverne and Shirley" and "Happy Days."

Music clearance issues aside, I do still feel that, if lackluster sales were the reasoning why these series are in limbo, then packing the series into a price point that was worth it would have been the best deal. I do feel that many were scared off by only 15 episodes, for example on L & S at a forty and high price point is what scared prospective people off.

Hopefully, for the fans of "Wings"...Paramount is doing the right thing.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
May 23 is very near. Go out and get this to show our support! I love "Murder She Roast." The climactic scene (with Psycho music and all) makes me laugh out loud all the time. Heck, this whole show makes me laugh out loud!

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
I read a couple reviews that say the video quality is as bad as it gets. What a shame but i am sure wings fans will still buy it and enjoy.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
Strange how Tony Shalhoub is on the cover when his character Antonio Scarpacci did not appear in the first two seasons. He did appear in one episode as a totally different character, according to DVD Talk's review. IMDb and TV.com both say that Tony played Antonio for the first time in Season 2's "Looking for Love in All the Wrong Places." But since the DVD Talk reviewer watched the set, he must be right and those other sites must be wrong. I do recall Shalhoub playing a waiter in a restaurant. We'll all see come Tuesday anyway.

Fay and Roy should have been on the cover, they had great chemistry with the other cast. Hopefully Paramount changed the cover to make it more accurate.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
I'm still laughing years after this show ended. I laughed when it was Nick-at-Nite and other cable networks. There are also some nice heartwarming scenes like Brian telling Joe without him hearing him, "I always wanted to be like you, too." And Helen seeing the pendant Joe gave her that was his mom's.

The video is a little soft and I don't know if it's my player but when there are quick cuts to different angles, there seems to be a weird jump as if an extra frame (or a repeating frame) appears. But it's not irritating enough to stop me from laughing. The sound is very clear. No need to adjust the volume controls.

Bring on Season 3 and 4 this year, Paramount!

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
I finally got my Wings DVDs and I am appalled. The pictures don't just look soft, they look out of focus, they're so smeary. TV broadcasts look better than these DVDs. They must have just taken the old tapes and slapped them onto DVD without any touch-up for the format. And NO extras whatsoever. No cast or producer interviews...why? This is a substandard product. I am very disappointed.

And yet is is so nice to have the first two seasons in a tidy little package, commercial free. But the presentation could have been so much better.

Ollie

Stunt Coordinator
Any word how how the Seasons 1 & 2 sets did "sales-wise". The TSoD news story that came out a few months back said Paramount anticipated a Fall Release for S3, and S4 potentially coming out before years end. It DIDN'T say whether or not this was contingent upon the sales of the first set. Has anyone heard any word on this?

Also, how is it that Paramount seems to be so much more adept at consistently "fast tracking" its shows (i.e. Brady Bunch, Andy Griffith) than the other big studios?

marcSo

Stunt Coordinator
Can't wait for season 3.I have been watching season 1 & 2 a lot.I just love watching this show.I watch so much more tv on dvd and regular television anymore.

RoyM

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't buy the first set, but with news of the quick release of season three (and possibly season four to soon follow), I am now seriously re-considering collecting Wings. If the other studios would fast track their releases, I think they would find that a lot more folks were willing to make the plunge into investing in some shows they might otherwise be ambivalent about.

It's the same thing with the Andy Griffith releases for me. I had originally only planned to buy through season five, but since Paramount is releasing the entire run of the show so quickly, I thought what the heck, I'll go for all eight seasons.

I think for a lot of people (like me) there is a reluctance to start collecting a show (especially a long running show like the two mentioned above) if there is a chance (a pretty good chance with some studios) that you'll be left high and dry after a couple of seasons are released. If a few seasons come out pretty quick and at a regular rate, then at least you have some confidence that it's worth the investment.

But with all of that having been said, Paramount has still let us down by (seemingly) quitting on Taxi, so I'm still not 100% confident even in them, although they do better than some of the other studios.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
I just got my copy today and the case has changed. Instead of individual slimcases for the discs, two are attached to the case themselves and the other two are housed on a hinged door-type holder (one disc on each side). The episode summaries are on the back of the cover sheet/insert! So you either have to read through the plastic or remove the paper altogether. The discs themselves no longer have artwork on them. They are plain gray with silver text.

We paid the same price for this set. I hope the extra money CBS DVD gets is used to get Seasons 4 and 5 of Taxi out for release. That is, if this set cost them less than the previous configuration.

Shawn_Sm

Stunt Coordinator
CBS is getting pathetic with this standardized crap. I don't have a single series from them that looks the same throughout because of this.

Tony S

Stunt Coordinator
I wish they would use a different color besides gray on those discs. I can't read them unless I tilt them toward the light.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks