What's new

Winemaking... (1 Viewer)

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Hmm that is not the information I was given, but given your apperant knowledge, I more inclined to believe you. Is there any kind of cleaner that would be good to use to kill the germs and prevent the growth of bacteria that will not kill the yeast. I think Mr. Beer advertises such a product on their website, and claims you dont even have to rinse it off very well. Is this believable to you? BTW, I guess I am lucky, because I use the b-brite to clean my "keg" and my 1 liter glass bottles, and all my bear has always fermented and carbonated fine. :)

Sheldon

Stunt Coordinator
Yes there is a slight residue left if you do not rinse.Charles,I believe you are talking about aseptox.It's a no rinse sterilizer that is better for your septic systems.It works by using oxygen.Excellent stuff.You can also but a similar product called bio-san which also is a no-rinse sterilizer.You are probably more familiar with Sodium or Potassium Metabisulphite which a lot of people use.Really smelly,clears the sinuses out real good.Not great for beer yeast though.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
B-Brite cleaner(the pink stuff) is actually Chlorinated Trisodium Phosphate and is very similar to Javex or any other chlorinated product
I was worried, and wondering why I had gotten so lucky and not killed my yeast, so I checked when I got home. It is called B-Brite cleanser but is not pink and is not Chlorinated Trisodium Phosphate. It says it cleans with active oxygen which is why I thought it was like Oxy-clean. It also specifically says it does not contain chlorine or bisulfite. It says it is Sodium Percarbonate, Sodium Carbonate, Silicic Acid and sodium salt. Whatever, it works well, and I have never had a batch go "bad" or not ferment properly.

Sheldon

Stunt Coordinator
Their must be another B-Brite that I am not familiar with.I looked up the ingredients that you listed and this is what I found.

Sodium Percarbonate-First off has no apparent Environmental hazards because it breaks down to oxygen,water and sodium carbonate(soda ash.It's mainly used for laundry applications.Apparently it is color safe and makes whites even whiter like Javex.

Silicic Acid is a Carninogen.I personnaly wouldn't use this until I knew more about it.

Sodium Salt-lots of salt in this stuff.I'd prefer the B-Brite that we have.(pink stuff)

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Silicic Acid is a Carninogen.I personnaly wouldn't use this until I knew more about it.
Seriously? I mean, they sell this at the home brew store, and the instructions on it are specific for cleaning fermenting supplies. I would think that anything used to produce food, would require some type of approval (like from the FDA) to be non-toxic.

Sheldon

Stunt Coordinator
Charles:Check out this site.
Link Removed
At the place where you purchased this,was it an actual label from the manufacturer or a store label?

Sheldon

Stunt Coordinator
Probably in small quantities wouldn't hurt.I don't know the strength or the amount that is in it however,to be safe,I would consider a no-rinse sanitizer.Good Luck...

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Thank you for your concern Sheldon, but alas, this is not Charles, but his fiance. Charles passed away this morning due to over-exposure of b-brite.

Andrej Dolenc

Stunt Coordinator
Charles,
That cleaner sounds a lot like what I understand b-brite to be. They claim no rinsing necessary, but I do it anyway.
The coolest cleaner I had was a b-brite cleaner with a green tracer in it. When you dumped this stuff into water, the water turned neon green. Looked kinda disgusting, but you could very easily tell when all the stuff was rinsed out - no green liquid left. Haven't found that since I used up my 5 lb tub of it, and unfortunately the homebrew supply store where I bought it went out of business :frowning:
Andrej

Sheldon

Stunt Coordinator
I'd say that One Step is the way to go.Let me know how it works out for you.If it's as good as what I read,perhaps I might carry it in the store.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks