What's new

Windows question? (1 Viewer)

Miki<>C

Agent
Hello everyone, this is kind of a pressing issue so an answer soon would be great, ..

Do I need Windows xp Professional to have a home network to share Dsl or is Windows home Edition adequate?

Thanks

Jeremy K

Stunt Coordinator
Your best bet to share DSL would be be a router. I think XP home can does have the Intermet Sharing Connection(ICS), but the main computer always has to be on for this. With a router it wouldn't matter, plus you get the hardware firewall.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Any Windows version from 3.11 will support peer-to-peer networking. You only need the Pro versions of Windows 2000 and XP for client/server networks. You can share DSL or cable connections, printers and files just fine with Windows XP Home edition. I've since upgraded my desktop to XP Pro, but I originally set up my wireless network with my desktop, laptop and TiVO using XP Home on both PCs and distributing files and sharing a wireless DSL gateway.

Regards,

Joe

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Jeremy's right re: the router/gateway. The DSL connection shouldn't be connected via a PC. My DSL modem/gateway has a built-in wireless router so I can surf from the laptop in the living room even when the home office PC is turned off.

Joe

Miki<>C

Agent
right thats exactly what I want to do. I have a Siemens DSL/Cable Router and want Dsl on both pc whether the main pc is on or off, but dont I still have to set all this up in Windows?

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Are you simply wanting to use the internet on multiple computers or do you want to be able to share files across the computers also? If you only want to share the internet then you shouldn't need to do anything in Windows. If you want to share files then it gets a little more complicated and you'll need to tell us which version of Windows you have.

Miki<>C

Agent
well both.. in the end all I want to do is share the internet on two computers one running windows xp home edition and one running windows 98.

however in the beginning I need to transfer some files to the new computer and then format the old computer and reinstall Windows 98.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Ok, I'm not very familiar with Windows98 (it's been awhile since I've had to use it). Here's what I'd try to do if I were you. First, when you setup your router it would probably be best to tell it NOT to use DHCP. Just assign the IP addresses manually (this should be covered in your owner's maual). Assuming your router's address is 192.168.1.1, you'll want to use something like 192.168.1.10 and 192.168.1.11 for your computers. Make sure they are all on the same subnet.

On you WindowsXP computer, create a new folder on your C drive and name it something like "Old Files." Right-click on that folder and go to "Sharing and Security." (Note: this may vary slightly because I running XP Pro). There should now be an option for sharing over a network. Select that option.

On your Win98 computer, right-click on MyComputer and click on "Map a Network Drive." Hopefully there will be an option there to Browse (there is in XP). When you click Browse you should see a list of all available shares on your network. Unfortunately it's almost never very easy until you've done it a few times. Give it a shot and let us know if you run into any problems. Perhaps someone will chime in with some information more relevent to Win98.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks