1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Windows Phone 7 Series

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones / Entertainment' started by Sam Posten, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Hanson

Hanson Well-Known Member

Hanson
    I was referring to the tech press at large, not the Apple fanboys

2. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    http://www.suntimes.com/technology/ihnatko/2829294,ihnatko-windows-iphone-android-phone-102310.article

Andy Ihnatko's review. I like Andy. He's a consistent and seemingly thoughtful and honest reviewer. And if something is badly designed or implemented, he says so. And on WP7, he writes:

Ah, but he also writes:

(Quote weirdness courtesy of Huddler, not my copy/paste ability

3. Hanson

Hanson Well-Known Member

Hanson
    I find these WP7 reviews disingenuous because there's no way in hell any of these reviewers would even contemplate using a WP7 phone as a daily driver because it's just not capable of doing basic things like copy paste and multi-tasking. What current iPhone or Androird owner in their right mind would contemplate using a phone that requires you to reload a third party app every time you unlock the screen? It's sheer madness. If Android had any one of these limitations, the reviewers would have pilloried the OS.

Bottom line -- if you've never owned a smart phone before, perhaps you wouldn't know what you're missing. But these people aren't writing reviews for novices. So please, stop blowing smoke up my ass. Your readers deserve better than that.

4. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    So I think Ihnatko commented on all these things you're talking about.

I agree that Copy/Paste and multitasking are now table stakes. But, for example. Paul Thurott, of WinSuperSite says that no one uses Copy/Paste so who cares? There is a diversity of opinion.

It may be moot shortly: c/p should be out early next year. Multitasking will likely follow soon. It sounds like they're doing as Apple did: start with limited functionality and add it subsequently. But they don't have three years, they've got closer to 3 months to do that iteration and catch up.

5. Hanson

Hanson Well-Known Member

Hanson
    Thurott is worse than Mossberg when it comes to homerism. I use copy/paste frequently. To say no one uses isn't a matter of opinion, it's simply counter-factual.

If you're going to review a phone based on what might happen in the future, you're grasping at straws. Vaporware is the most common tech product.

If Ihnatko were being honest, he would call a spade a spade and call these things deal-breakers. Instead, he tosses them off as, "oh, by the way's".

6. mattCR

mattCR Well-Known Member
    HW Reviewer

Matt
    Several deal breakers, not the least of which is that you apparently cannot change your ringtones to something custom. Holy cow. I was doing that with MP3s on my blackberry....8700G! And before that on my Motorola Razr V1...

The copy and paste thing is something I use frequently on my blackberry, and have found it useful to move information from one email account to another, etc.. and it has been flawless. And despite all the crawing about this, I can't think of any blackberry I've ever owned where copy/paste wasn't a function, and I've carried one for 5+ years.

Copy paste also comes in handy for basic document setups. There are times where I need to edit something and send it back to myself, and without copy paste from email, it would be difficult.

I sat and played some with the WP7 today and there are quite a few things I really like about it. It has a very smooth display, the tile system is very straightforward, and it's surprisingly responsive. But again, it has two big negatives that count to me as most important in a cell phone: Speakerphone functionality is crap, and you can't setup more then 1 Microsoft Exchange server that I found (yes, I could setup the others as IMAP, but I lose a lot with that, especially with meeting acceptance and scheduling).

7. schwa

schwa Member

You really provide lots of urls. Well, it is not easy to admire the windows phone, to be frank. [url=http://

8. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Good review. Highlights some interesting comparisons to the iOS way of doing things. I'm a bit envious of the word-replacement tool; that looks easier and more efficient.

http://ignorethecode.net/blog/2011/05/31/windows_phone_7/

9. Gretchynvaughn

Gretchynvaughn New Member

I would like to know what handset is being used in the video link here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUZHy_T5GDc&feature=related if an image is needed there is one here: Thanks for your help
    http://www.zimbio.com/African+Mango/articles/kDaps6hTDfL/African+Mango+Plus+Review+Shake+off+Unwanted

10. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
  11. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten