What's new

Win a signed copy of The Carol Burnett Show: The Ultimate Collection on DVD (1 Viewer)

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
Roddy McDowwel coming out in full Planet Of The Apes makeup is a childhood highlight and so that has to be my favorite. If I ever actually saw the sketch where They had Leonard Nimoy in Spock makeup and they were undoubtably having him mistaken for Dr. Spock because in the picture I saw of the sketch Carol is holding a baby.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I haven't seen this show in SO long!! I was born in '77 and only saw reruns when I was young. I definitely enjoyed sketches of "The Family" with Carol as Eunice and Vicki as Mama. I also love how those sketches were the groundwork for the "Mama's Family" sitcom.......which I also love!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I must completely concur with William's choice -- the dentist sketch is about as funny as this program got. Tim Conway was irreplaceable. Here, as a clumsy dentist, he shoots his hand, then leg, then face, with novacane, and his physical humor is every bit as good as Steve Martin's in All Of Me. Had I been Harvey Korman in the patient's chair, I'd also have found it impossible to keep a straight face. :D

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I have to say. "Went with the Wind". Harvey made a great Rhett and I was just amazed that he didn't lose it when Carol was at the top of the stairs in that dress. "This old thing, I saw it in the window!" Comic gold. Cracks me up to think about this. I had to hunt this up when my son and I screened GWYW a few years back. After the sketch, he had tears rolling down his face just as I did so many years ago.
Doug

Timothy J Wolfe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
TimothyJackson Wolfe
Tim Conway as Mr. Tudball has always been a favorite for me. He always makes you laugh and was a lot of fun to watch.

Spottedfeather

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
The best sketch on the show is where the Family is sitting around and Tim Conway is telling a story about the siamese elephants.

airport Dean

Auditioning
Real Name
Dean
Loved the Dentist skit with Harvey and Tim. With his back to the audience, Tim made it funnier to watch imagining what faces and antics Tim was doing behind his back!!!!!

MarkA

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Abel
I always loved "As the Stomach Turns" because it was so over the top. I made a soap opera parody with commercials when I was in high school, I can't remember whether that was an influence for it.

Aly

Auditioning
Real Name
Human Torch
Favorite - Went with the Wind and Sunset Boulevard parody. Carol can do no wrong. Love all the characters.

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
My family really loved this show! I guess the Gone W T W show is my favorite show. Brings back happy & sad memories,as my MOM passed away @ 50years of age in 1976. We also loved many of the other shows of the era. I liked the show When P.Diller
played a judge, on the C.B. show.

cherisland

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd
4d9514df_nora7a.png

One of my all-time favorite characters from the Carol Burnett Show is her portrayal of Nora Desmond - the worlds greatest silent screen star (Gloria Swanson from Sunset Blvd). It is so over the top and extreme. Just seeing her dressed up in her early Hollywood gowns with sagging cleavage, jewelry and that garish eye make-up makes me laugh. When she goes to swing her long necklaces or gowns over her shoulder she always knocks herself down and leaves me laughing - hilarious!! Obviously Gloria Swanson was a good sport about Carol's portrayal of her, as she herself guest starred in the series and showed her own flair for comedy by fawning over Lyle. There are so many great skits: Nora being Roasted, The Bed Bug Commercial, and The One where she is Dead - "I have spent my life dying". Harvey is also great as Max. :)

Anthony_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony
The movie parodies... National Velvet...Tim Conway cross-eyed screaming "Whots happenin?" continually until struck with a horseshoe. Good times.

Michelle*B

Auditioning
As a classic movie fan, my favorites have always been the movie parodies. Especially when Carol is playing Bette Davis, Joan Crawford or Gloria Swanson.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
There are so many to choose from, but I always had a special place for the long-suffering Eunice who had to put up with Ed, he mother Thelma ("Mama") and those siblings. She was always trying for a way out of her lifelong rut, to me she is the female Al Bundy, and my favorite Eunice skit is when she was on The Gong Show with dreams of stardom. If you've seen it, you know how it ended and how could you not feel sorry for her knowing her history? No matter how many times Eunice had he dreams smashed by her family, she kept trying.
One thing that set the Burnett show apart from all other was the classic movie parodies. In fact, there should be a separate DVD set of the movie parodies alone: Torchy Song, Rancid Harvest, One Way Ticket, Rebecky, The Putrified Forest, and my personal favorite Flora!

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I have to say my favorite charcter is Mrs. Wiggins and my favorite sketch is the Fire Drill sketch. Just watching Carol try and get down on her hands and kness in that skirt still cracks me up. Probably one of the longest gags in all of the Wiggins and Tudball sketches. On my last job I worked the front desk and one Halloween I went dressed as Mrs. Wiggins. It was too much fun being that character all day. "I have pencils to sharpen." And yes, each time I had to get up and walk I did the Wiggins walk. Loads of fun. Mrs. Wiggins will always have a special place in my heart.

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
One of my favorite sketches was "Double Calamity", a spoof of one of my favorite movies, "Double Indemnity". I was always impressed with Steve Lawrence on the Burnett show. So many singers seemed uncomfortable doing comedy but Steve was an exception.

classictvfan91

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian Hayden
My favorite sketch is "The Intercom" with Mr. Tudball and Mrs. "Ah-Wiggins":

Tim Conway's accent is really funny.

Sarah L

Auditioning
Real Name
Sarah
This is a tough question...there are so many brilliant sketches. I have to say one of my very favorites is the Nazi interrogator skit. Tim and Harvey attempt to extract information from Lyle using a puppet of Hitler that sings "I've Been Working on the Railroad," while Lyle is on the verge of losing it. This is one of my favorites because whenever I am having a bad day, I always play it on YouTube, and it turns around the entire day. It also means a lot to be able to play it for my cousin, who has a disease that often makes her days painful to get through. But seeing her smile when she sees this particular sketch is a great experience. This show is truly therapeutic.
However, a close runner up includes the one with Tim Conway in the hospital, shuffling along as fast as he can, moving his arms for all he's worth, resulting in him falling out the window. I'll never forget seeing him go out the window and hearing "THUMP. .......... I'm falling!!!" This is truly one of the greatest shows ever and I hope someday it will be available for a complete series release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.