What's new

Win a signed copy of The Carol Burnett Show: The Ultimate Collection on DVD (1 Viewer)

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
While my favorite character is Eunice Higgins, who tried so hard (maybe too hard) and still was a loser at life, my favorite sketch is undoubtedly "The Pail" with Carol as the patient and Harvey as the psychiatrist. No only is it beautifully played by the two of them, it may be one of the most perfectly constructed sketches ever. It starts off realistically funny and identifiable and build steadily to absurd proportions, but still within the realm of the relatable. Brilliant comedy writing in the hands of two of the funniest performers who ever graced a stage or screen.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Oh boy, so many memories:
Funny
The 'Oldest' man running a deli and the only customer was Harvey, but he still had to take a number.
Steve Lawrence as a gangster, and being shot (and dying) over and over and over.
Dinah Shore putting her head into the punch in Went With The Wind
Roddy McDowell coming out in full Ape makeup and doing his lines from Cleopatra
Hard to watch
Eunice finally getting to sing "Feelings"
Heartbreaking (and most memorable)
Carol, alone on her bucket, singing the theme song in the last episode
David

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
My favorite sketch is Went With The Wind. I never will forget the scene where Carol Burnett comes down the stairs in the drapes dress, curtain rods included. Watching the sketch now on YouTube and having seen Gone With The Wind a few times, you can see where they lifted lines from the movie for the sketch--and I can never watch the movie without thinking about how ridiculous it all sounds.
I also always liked when one of the cast would flub a line and crack each other up.

wampas

Auditioning
Real Name
david
my favorite sketch was The Intercom (the first Mr. Tudball and Mrs. Wiggins) its such a simple skit but hilarious tim was great on there with carol i also love Tim Conway's Elephant Story but wasnt sure if it was just an outtake i love when they couldn't hold thier laughing in and cracked up live
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]
Note: Video inserted by Moderator

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
Carol's series went off the air when I was nine years old. Spending time with the cast and it's many characters was a highlight of the week in our household. It was a rare opportunity for the family to come together; something everyone enjoyed. My sisters would recreate Wiggins at the pencil sharpener, my brother spoke with a Tudball accent, walked like the oldest man, and acted out the Siamese elephant tale. For me, the Q&A was a weekly highlight. Carol was more real and accessible than the average television personality. She was like a friend that stopped by the house once a week bringing laughs and cheer. I will always treasure those good times.
With Eunice she touched my heart in a way few broad comedy characters could. Of all the sketches and characters, Eunice is definitely the one I hold most dear and will take with me the rest of my days.

AnthonyP

Stunt Coordinator
I don't remember how I ended up stumbling upon The Carol Burnett Show. It was when I was a kid, 5-8 at the most I would guess. It would have been off the air for years at that point and I don't recall my parents sharing it with me. Was it in syndication for a time after? I don't ultimately remember watching it over an extended period of many months. I sort of wish I recalled more details given the lasting impression it created, albeit lacking in many details (maybe closer to the 5 age?).
What I do recall is laying on the floor. Leaning on my hands, belly down, a few feet from the TV laughing to the point of tears. I seem to remember the Korman / Conway scenes the most but, having not seen any of the shows in the decades since, no specific characters or skits come to mind. That show is one of my fondest movie/TV show memories. Seems unfortunate that I only remember watching it alone but, which is amusing, I remember thinking how neat something like that existed and wondering if anyone else knew of it (I was a naive, obtuse kid.. not much changes).
I'm so glad this show is finally getting a full release. I remember searching for it on DVD once I started collecting but the Columbia House ones were OOP at that point. I'm looking forward to Noises Off also.

NicolasC

Grip
"Went With The Wind". How Harvey was able to keep it together when Carol came out with the rod in the dress is beyond me. Priceless and ageless! But you know what I remember most? Hearing my mother laugh like I rarely heard her before or since.

mrmike898

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Wagner
I always enjoyed the movie parodies. My favorite would probably "Beach Blanket Boo-Boo", a parody of the Beach Party films with Steve Martin as "Frankie" and Carol as "Nannette." Not only did they hit the nail on the head with the ultra-cheesy songs, but also the ridiculous "surfing" that the real Frankie and Annette would do. Plus, Vicki in a fringe-clad bathing suit a la Candy Johnson. Absolutely fantastic!

Terry Hickey

Second Unit
Real Name
Terry Hickey
There were so many different sketches that were hilarious, and some of the memorable characters have already been mentioned. I have to say my favorite
character that Carol played was the cleaning lady who didn't show up that often, but it's just the way she played her, down but not out. Also, when Carol
would end the show, tugging on her ear.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Off the top of my head it would have to be the "Went With The Wind" sketch. When Carol came down the stairs with the curtains on her shoulders I almost hurt myself laughing!
Another favorite is the audience segments when they would bring up the lights and she would answer questions.
There was little about the program I *didn't* like. For part of the original airings I was in HS and would actually go home from cruising the streets for an hour on Saturday nights just to watch The Carol Burnett Show.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
My favorite episode really isn't an episode of the show. It was an interview many years later when she revealed who the dress designer was the entire time. Not like it was a huge secret, but of course the Went With the Wind dress...and the story behind it is golden.
The dress was a surprise even to the designer, cause the original concept had been damaged. The fact that dress was even created was a feat in and of itself.
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]
Note: Video inserted by Moderator

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I loved everything about the show, especially the boss and secretary but I guess I really liked when Carol came out to talk to the audience.

ScottRichard

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
My favorite character is Eunice. She's hilarious, brazen, sad, scary, and ultimately sympathetic, played to utter perfection by a master! Watching The Carol Burnett Show was a ritual for my sister and I on Saturday nights. It's been a long time since I've seen the show and I'd be in heaven if I won this set!

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
Definitely Carol Burnett in "Went With The Wind". I love this sketch having seen "Gone With The Wind" several times and although being a fan of the movie, the parody is simply hysterical.

Frank Ha

Second Unit
Real Name
Frank Harrison
I have to agree with others. "Went With The Wind" is the sketch that I remember most. Specifically, Carol coming down the stairs wearing the curtain. I have fond memories of my family watching The Carol Burnett Show when I was growing up. It was one of our favorite shows.

Bobbo

Grip
Real Name
Robert
It's a tie for me, between "Went With The Wind" (as soon as she came out with the curtain dress, I just about lost it) and the Family sketch where Eunice sang "Feelings" on "The Gong Show", which was my favorite game show at the time, although it was bittersweet to see her get gonged in the middle. (After the Eunice segment was taped for the show, Carol introduced host Chuck Barris on the next daytime episode of the Gong Show with the following: "I'd like to introduce a man with the charm of Cary Grant, the good looks of Paul Newman, and the talent of Sir Lawrence Olivier; I'd like to introduce that man, but I'm stuck with Chuck Barris..." :))

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
My favorite character was, of course, Eunice, for the same reasons everyone has already pointed out. The sketches were brilliantly written with pathos and hilarity mixed together perfectly.
But when I showed "A Place in the Sun" to my film class last night, I had to stifle a smile when the story came to the famous scene on the lake. I couldn't help but remember Harvey and Carol (as George and Zelda) in that rowboat, with Carol whining "Geeeooooorrrrgge!" so relentlessly that *he* jumps overboard. The characters were so hysterical that they were re-used countless times to the point that no one remembered that they were originally written as a movie parody.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I don't remember the name of the sketch, but it had Carol Burnet and Steve Lawrence as individual song writers. They couldn't get anyone to publish there songs until they sat together and sung their two songs and found out they were really one song. One with the lyrics ."Happy, Happy, Happy, That's What I Am" The other was something like "When we are together" ,"Through all kinds of weather". Put them together and you have "Happy, When we are together, Happy, Through all kinds of weather, Happy, That's What I Am. " They write many more songs and are very successful. But later they split and Carol is a star but Steve loses all his money. At the end she and others are all dressed up after a show and see someone lying in the gutter (its Steve). They walk over and wonder who could it be. He looks like someone they might have known from the past. Maybe its her old songwriter co-writer. Steve looks up to them and Carol says "no, its not him" and they walk away leaving him in the gutter. At least, that's they way I remember it.

Albert71292

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Sims
The spoof they did of "The Exorcist" with Bernadette Peters. Tim Conway was hilarious as "Otto Blackflag", the exorcist/exterminator. Always liked how near the end of the sketch he managed to crack both Carol AND Bernadette up!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.