What's new

Win a signed copy of The Carol Burnett Show: The Ultimate Collection on DVD (1 Viewer)

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Thanks to our good friends at Time Life we have a copy of The Carol Burnett Show: The Ultimate Collection to give away to a lucky Home Theater Forum member...but it gets better....the included memory book will be personally signed by Carol Burnett, Vicki Lawrence and Tim Conway! We have a second non-signed copy to give away as well.

68254406_600x388px-LL-8a76a0a3_cburult.jpeg

Fans and collectors can pre-order the DVD release of THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW: THE ULTIMATE COLLECTION today! The DVD is available for pre-order on WWW.CAROLONDVD.COM.

TO ENTER: Post your favorite sketch or character from The Carol Burnett Show and a brief description of why.

FINE PRINT: Both the winner and grand prize winner will be chosen at random from all qualifying entries received by the end of day 8/20 (PT). Winners will be drawn on 8/21 and announced in this thread shortly thereafter. Prizes must be able to be shipped to the US or Canada, must be 18 or older to enter.

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
Oh man.....would I love to win this....definitely submitting an entry....guess I have to check back later :banana:

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Hey, wait until she calls on you before you ask a question. She can't see you with the lights down. They'll be bumped up soon

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Mr. Tudball and Mrs. Wiggins. Each sketch was a perfect construction, building to an inevitable, yet still surprising, conclusion. The characterizations were so simple and yet so consistent throughout years of situations. And seeing Tim Conway react in that character makes me laugh every time.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
That would definitely have to be the "Hollow Hero" sketch; where Carol "The Queen of England" tried to bribe Hollow palace guard Tim Conway...with a popsicle. And he couldn't figure out what flavor he wanted. Comedy gold because the premise grew progressively more insane as the piece went along, to the point where Queen Carol finally had to utter, "My good man, there is no such thing as a moose-flavor-ed popsicle!!"

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Tim Conway as Mr. Tudball. He had such faith in Mrs. Ah-Wiggins come what may. And he had the uncanny ability during scenes to make fellow cast mates laugh like audience members.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
"No Frills Airline". I had to look it up on youtube. Harvey Korman and Tim Conway on a flight, Korman being constantly bothered is great in this. Carol Burnett was my mums favourite show and I remember this sketch being hilarious and making her laugh until tears come out of her eyes. I'm sure there are funnier sketches, but it's the one that stuck with me, I plan on getting this set for her to watch again if I don't win it ha ha. :)

Mod note: I inserted the video

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
My favorite character is Eunice from the Mama's Family sketches. I love it when Eunice gets angry and tells off her family. I love Carol's portrayal. I really admire the energy and enthusiasm she brings to the role.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Harvey Korman's Buxom Buttinski 'Mother Marcus' in 'As The Stomach Turns'. With the aid of a gargantuan fat suit and grotesque makeup, Harvey brought this broadly played character to screamingly hysterical life. It's hard to steal a sketch from a legend like Carol but he managed to do it here.
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]
Note: Video added by Moderator

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
Well....this is an easy one for me ....my favorite sketches from "The Carol Burnett Show" are the "Family" sketches by far. A number of reasons why:
1.) These characters (specifically Eunice, Mama, and Ellen) were my family (my mom, my Grandma, and my aunt). One minute they are screaming at each other, the next minute they are caring/concerned for each other. I totally understand that type of relationship within my own family. (Also note: My Grandma made all her own dresses.....they were all the same style with different floral patterns....they all had the same style of Vicki Lawrence's "Mama (aka Thema Harper)" dress. Mama always reminds me of my Grandma (both in the "personality" as well as Mama's famous "dress")
2.) From what I saw from interview with Carol Burnett, the writers originally based the characters from Chicago, and Carol, Vicki and Harvey decide to put a southern accent on their characters. My family is from Chicago, so, again, I understand where the writers are coming from, because I lived with these characters (my family) and identified with their personalities so well.
3.) In my opinion, Carol Burnett as "Eunice" is as equal to Lucille Ball's character of "Lucy Ricardo". They both are funny. And most importantly, everyone could identify with these characters because they represent "the human condition" (example, we all want to be "A Star", we all want to feel "accepted", whether it's by our parents or by an audience).
4.) And lastly, these were the funniest sketches in the "Family" series - The "Sorry!" sketch is absolutely my favorite (and it's going to be on this set....this alone is why I want the Ultimate set!!!). My favorite line: Mama: "Eunice, I think you are playing hockey with warped puck". Along with this sketch, two other "Family" sketches that rank up there is with Tommy Smothers (as Eunice's brother Jack) visiting in the hospital. Eunice describing Jack's doctor as a "butcher" gets me every time. And the "Attic" sketch (with Betty White as sister Ellen). Most memorable line: Eunice to Mama: "Shut Up You Rabbit Killer!"
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.