What's new

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1 Viewer)

Just watched this on Blu. Wow! Without a doubt, this is the BEST that this film has ever looked or sounded. The framing is finally correct as well. Warner just hit another one out of the park and across town.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Thanks for the review. I'm looking forward to this one.

Hey, Eric, by any chance do you have or have you seen Young Frankenstein? That's my other favorite performance for GW, and I'm wondering how Young Frankenstein looks on blu...

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
The positive comments are nice to hear, but a bit surprising, since it's my understanding that this is the same transfer as that done for the HDDVD, which came in for some criticism.

I cannot speak for the HDDVD, as I did not buy anything in that format, but Wonka had always been either really grainy and muddy, or in the case of the 2001 dvd, good in parts and not so good in others. As people on here know, I can be very picky when it comes to transfers, and I'm stating emphatically that Willy Wonka on Blu-Ray is beautiful.

gomezfan69

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jason stocker
I've seen windowboxed credits before but I think they've gone a little too far on this one. The credits look like they appear within about a 2.00:1 ratio. I guess it's not a big deal, but it's kind of offputing.

Otherwise I'm really happy with this release.

When comparing with the anamorphic widescreen dvd (the one that we all fought so hard to get) I was surprised to see how much had been cropped on that release. They must have just took the pan and scan version and cropped off the top and bottom. It's not even just that it was cropped, but it was cropped so unevenly (about a fifth of the picture was missing on the left side, and quite a bit from the bottom. But on the right side and top the cropping was barely copped, if at all). But you probably all know this already. It just really surprised me. It's like they decided to just crop a transfer they already had just to shut us up, rather than give us the real deal.

But it's all water under the bridge now, we have this fantastic blu-ray.

I re-watched this last night, and the windowboxing is not as severe as I thought it was. This is the best that Wonka has looked on television, and probably the best it has ever looked.

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman
The best it has ever looked? Better than the release prints in 35mm - I don't think so. It looks just fine on Blu-Ray, but not the best it's ever looked period.

I projected the 35mm prints. They were muddy, lacked detail, and the color was drab and ugly. Yes, this is the best it has ever looked.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Pleased with the Wonka blu-ray. Did have a question about the framing though, as on one of Jack Alberston's lines in the Golden Egg room it cuts off his head almost down to his nose while he's speaking. Is that the correct framing? It's been years since I've seen it on the big screen, but I don't remember that being that way.

Ben, by the way, the Young Frankenstein blu-ray looks terrific.

I compared the shot of Jack Albertson to the dvd and it is tighter at the top of the frame on the Blu-Ray. The dvd cuts off most of Mike TeeVee in that shot, and Charlie from the neck down. I think the dvd was framed too high. Since Albertson and Ostrum both had a line in that shot, it is imperitive that both been seen and I think the Blu-Ray accomplishes that. Also, it doesn't cut Albertson off from his nose on my monitor, rather his forehead.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Digging up this old thread to ask for a favor. Could someone who owns the 2009 Blu-ray check its specs for me? I got the review copy of the 2011 Ultimate Collector's Edition and I'm not sure if the Blu-ray literally duplicates the 2009 release or if there are some changes. My 2009 review shows a standard Dolby Digital 5.1 track and somewhat different subtitle options, so I assume this is a different disc, but it's possible I goofed the specs in my 2009 review.

Thanks to whoever helps!

Here are the audio and subtitles of the 2011 Blu-ray:

Audio:
English Dolby TrueHD 5.1
French Monaural
Castillian Monaural
German Monaural
Italian Monaural
Portuguese Monaural

Subtitles:
English
French
German
Italian
Castillian
Dutch
Spanish
Portuguese
Danish
Finnish
Swedish
Norwegian

Colin, can you check the scene after

Veruca goes down the eggdicator

, and Uncle Joe says "Well, mr. salt finally got what he wanted. Veruca went first" and tell me if the frame is tightly cropped at Uncle Joe's eyeline? Thanks!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by gomezfan69

Not sure about the subtitles but it definitely has a TrueHD track.

Yeah, I know I have that part right, and the fact the new Blu-ray is TrueHD instead of DTS-HD makes me think it's the same disc. Want to try to confirm it's an identical disc via the subtitles - anyone have the scoop on those?

gomezfan69

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jason stocker
Subtitles For the 2009 Disc: English Francais Deutsch fur Horgesshadigte Italiano Italiano per non udenti castellano nederlands Espanol Portugues Daansk Suomi Norsk Svenska

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
If you have a Blu-ray disc drive on your computer, the simplest way of checking whether or not it's the same disc is by the timestamp on the files.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by gomezfan69

Subtitles For the 2009 Disc:
English
Francais
Deutsch fur Horgesshadigte
Italiano
Italiano per non udenti
castellano
nederlands
Espanol
Portugues
Daansk
Suomi
Norsk
Svenska

Awesome - thanks! If you get the chance, could you confirm that the audio tracks are the same as well? I suspect they are but would like to know for sure.

Guess I goofed when I transcribed the subtitles for my 2009 review...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks