What's new

Will we have Simpsons Season 15 before the end of DVDs? (1 Viewer)

Matt`L

Stunt Coordinator
I know I said they get tedious earlier on in this thread; but that's probably because I try and get through them all at once. I'm sure if I watched one every now and then I'd get more out of it.

I definitely wasn't saying ditch the commentaries full-stop. Nor do I want 'barebones' discs. (Though, admittedly, at the moment the commentaries are the bulk of the extras). But the poster above me highlighted what I was feeling as well. Commentaries are all well and good, but not if it means we'll have the complete series by 2015.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I think a release similar to the King of the Hill sets would work wonderfully for the Simpsons. We got King of the Hill season 1 in July 2003, Season 2 in November 2003, and season 3 is set for the spring. Its not a extras filled set, but I don't buy these things for extras I buy them for episodes and the bonus material is just that a bonus. It is possible that we could have more KOTH releases come the end of this year than Simpsons releases even though the Simpsons started 2 years before KOTH on DVD. I'm sure that the KOTH people are pretty busy but the quality of those releases shows that it can be done.

TedT

Second Unit
The commentaries ARE A MUST!

As someone who has every single episode on VHS, the commentaries are about the only reason why I buy the DVDs. I've seen them all numerous times on tape & reruns. There are many, many people who already have all the episdoes, by the way. Sales would drop dramatically if they dumped the commentaries.

Jeff McMillan

Stunt Coordinator
I don't at all mind the pace at which they're releasing them myself. First of all, there's no way I'd be able to watch the sets any quicker. And I feel that it's good to get all of the commentaries done now for posterity sake, before all the talent pulls a "Seinfeld cast" and decides they need gazillions to add their input. I think 20 years from now, everyone will appreciate all of the effort made to make these special, when we're all watching these on Super Duper HD plus 3000 DVD.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
As long as the Radioactive Man/Fallout Boy season makes it to DVD...I'm sound as a pound! ;)

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
More like "anything". In most cases there is zero compensation for particpating in a commentary.

-Dave

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
In that same chant he also said that In Living Color on DVD wasn't going to happen, things can change.

I don't care if the episodes have commentaries or not, I just don't want to be 37 before I have the complete run of the series.

Scott Ware

Stunt Coordinator

If you're refering to the episode "Bart Gets an F", Matt Groening DOES point it out. Go watch the episode again.

As much as I enjoy the commentaries, I'd gladly drop 'em if it would mean that the shows would be released faster.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I thought this, quoted from the first season set, is worth remembering:

"Welcome to the first of many deluxe overpriced DVD sets of The Simpsons. With 280-odd shows in the can and no end in sight, you might be able to complete your Simpsons DVD collection just before the next format comes along. Thanks for buying!"

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Regarding what I said in my last post. The question that arose in this thread isn't whether or not Fox will drop the commentaries, it is whether or not Fox should consider dropping the commentaries, and look at other special features like minicommentaries or a seasonal documentary.

Whether they will or won't is not the main issue in this thread.

TedT

Second Unit
ok then, well I hope that FOX does NOT consider dropping the commentaries.

From what Matt Groening told me personally at the Comic-Con in '02, he said the delays are HIS fault, not Fox's. He wants commentaries and other features on the disks. He told me that Fox wants the disks to just come out as soon as they can press them.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

What an awful guy, Imagine the nerve to want to put out quality sets with extra features.

But seriously, I do enjoy the commentaries so I would miss them if they dropped them. They may not always have a wealth of info or they may be repeatitive, but they are usually pretty entertaining regardless. Still, I would also like a full length, Alien Quad style documentary about the show. Hope that happens some day.

JoeyNelson

Grip

um, i don't think i buy this. are we supposed to believe that the hundredsd of people who worked on family guy, after getting fired, decided not to get new jobs? and just hang out recording dvd commentary tracks?

Norman Matthews

Second Unit

Exactly. At this rate, I won't have time to watch the final season when it does come out, what with being too busy watching the moon landing and all.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Yes, in this episode, the first of season 2, he does point it out and is surprised to hear it in fact. But, there were a couple of commentaries from season 1 where they were talking about bootlegged murchandise and he made the cowa-bunga comment regarding how Bart never said it, but there was indeed an episode from season 1 where Bart does say it, I think its the tell tale head but I'm not sure.

You know, I'd gladly give up the commentaries for a seasonal documentary, but I wouldn't trade them off for nothing in return, I think the Simpsons commentaries are really fun if maybe sometimes they have a few too many people in the room (10 for Lisa the greek) but my favorites are actuall the Futurama commentaries, which have been in the can for a longer period of time.

Matt`L

Stunt Coordinator
Hmm, I've been watching Futurama season two recently and I've just now watched an episode with the commentary on. I have to say, it was actually pretty decent. The reason why I was initially a little 'turned off' in regards to Simpsons commentaries must have been because I tried to watch them all in a very short space of time. I guess I'll have to give them another shot to know for sure.

So, even though they're not always informative, they are still enjoyable. But still, it's ridiculous that they can't even bring out two sets a year; commentaries or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks