1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Will we ever get a non p.d. release of Pitfall?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by MarcoBiscotti, Nov 29, 2009.

1. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Who has the distro rights; is it a Republic or UA film?

2. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

There's too many UA gems that need to be released, including:

Pitfall
    The Prowler
    A Thousand Clowns
    Day Of The Outlaw
    The Fearmakers
    The Killer Is Loose
    The Black Sleep
    etc.

I guess these are all M-G-M properties now?

If so, I wish they would release several dual-layered sets, similar to Universal's economical Classic Western Round-Ups, with their long neglected b-movies like Riot In Juvenile Prison and a poverty row noir themed set with crime thrillers like Cop Hater, The Big Caper, Before I Wake, Guns Girls and Gangsters, etc. Finally a matinee western collection with oaters like Fury At Showdown, The Crooked Sky, My Gun Is Quick, Fort Massacre, Gun Fever, War Drums, The Lawless Rider, etc.

They could dump these out with one single two-disc genre set for each and keep it barebones and simple. I wouldn't even be too picky about the transfers so long as they're competent. The above list however, deserves individual catalog releases for the titles laid out.

I fear that with MGM's current financial state, we may never see these films on any home video format.

3. Marcel H.

Marcel H. Supporting Actor

Day of the Outlaw is available on DVD since last year.

4. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Woops, you're right!

(I actually own it too)

5. Dan McW

Dan McW Second Unit

Dan
    My Gun Is Quick is a Mike Hammer mystery (which has gotten some airtime on Encore Mystery in the past year or so).

Pitfall was released on VHS in the "Republic Restored Classics" line. Are there p.d. versions out there too?

6. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

I've seen the generic Alpha looking collection with Pitfall and the usual DOA, etc. titles. There's one showing on Amazon as discontinued.

I used to own the Republic VHS and ditched it at the height of the studios dumping their classic noirs on disc assuming this would definitely be available. I can't believe we're reaching the end of the line and still nothing... I hope Eddie Muller tries to save this one and convinces whoever owns it to get it out on disc soon.