What's new

Will this stream blurays for me? (1 Viewer)

PhillyT

Auditioning
Real Name
Phil
I'm thinking of buying the Lenovo Q190 as a HTPC basically to just play my media files from a local NAS on my big screen TV, various video formats, backups of my movies (usually in MKV format).

This is the model im considering: Lenovo IdeaCentre Q190 Nettop - Nettops | Ebuyer.com

- Is the CPU beefy enough to stream full 1080p content over a Cat 6 network?
- What about 3D BR rips?
- Will it be capable of running a snappy XBMC install alright when configured too?

I am hoping the i3 processor will give me slick, speedy performance so im not waiting around for things to happen, and also read that the graphics is a low point in the system's spec. But as im not wanting to play games, as long as its capable of the HD streaming it should be fine for me. Right?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The problem you will run into is Cinavia, a coopyright protection system that currently is being implemented by the likes of Sony and Disney on their latest blu ray discs, thus you cannot make a local backup to your hard drive and watch them, you can only view them using the disc, an i3 processor will be good enough if the graphics card is decent but once again you run into the Cinavia copyright protection issue, its buried into the audio section of discs and basically mutes the audio of the film after fifteen to twenty minutes of playing it.

If your internet connection is very fast then it will stream just fine using the above system, it's Cinavia protection which will be the big issue if you intend to rip to a hard drive and use it as a media server to play HD films.

PhillyT

Auditioning
Real Name
Phil
Thanks for your reply Foxy...

I obviously check my mkv rips after ripping but usually just by clicking through about 4-5 points in the film, via VLC.

Are you saying after 15 mins approx, of continuous playback the audio will stop?
Becuase clicking beyond the 15 mins mark, (say I click at 10, 30, 60 and 90) when testing I get audio at every step?

The graphics on the Lenovo system i mentioned above are integrated Intel, so built-in.
Do you still think they'll be okay for ripped HD playback / streaming from a NAS?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
PhillyT said:
Thanks for your reply Foxy...

I obviously check my mkv rips after ripping but usually just by clicking through about 4-5 points in the film, via VLC.

Are you saying after 15 mins approx, of continuous playback the audio will stop?
Becuase clicking beyond the 15 mins mark, (say I click at 10, 30, 60 and 90) when testing I get audio at every step?

The graphics on the Lenovo system i mentioned above are integrated Intel, so built-in.
Do you still think they'll be okay for ripped HD playback / streaming from a NAS?
The audio mutes after fifteen to twenty minutes of continous playback, checking various points for a few minutes at a time won't show up the Cinavia issue, not all discs are protected by Cinavia but its been implemented on players and discs including many PC software players and media servers since mid 2012,it first became a requirement to get a B licence in Feb 2012, Wikipedia can give you more info on it.

The good news is that if you can buy a system that pre-dates Feb 2012 ( sometimes a few months later than this ) and the media server/PC software player/BD drive has not had a firmware update then it cannot read the Cinavia code on the disc and thus the protection does not kick in, the bad news is that newer discs can require a firmware update to play them thus Cinavia is updated onto the player/media server/software player at the same time as everything else is updated.

I think the system would be fine even though its integrated graphics, you will just run into some issues with Cinavia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinavia

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks