What's new

Will the rest of the roadshows make it to bluray? (1 Viewer)

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
Ed Lachmann said:
If Twilight TIme could do for Hawaii what they did for Solomon and Sheba, I would be jumping to pre-order several copies of it.

Or like Criterion did for It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World in offering both versions of the film; only this package would be a 2-disc Blu-ray and a 2-disc DVD separate from each other and not the combo pack.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Ed Lachmann said:
If Twilight TIme could do for Hawaii what they did for Solomon and Sheba, I would be jumping to pre-order several copies of it.

TT is only putting out what they get from the studio that holds the rights to that movie. This time I am sure that MGM did a decent job as I saw an HD airing a few years ago that already looked quite nice and about on par with Khartoum, plus you and other have commented favorably on the quality of the Blu-ray release.

What we can thank TT for is that they wrestle movies like Solomon and Sheba from the studios but with their limited release model they obviously could not really do the necessary work on their own. I think that that Hawai has never been aired in good HD quality anywhere so there probably isn't much to be released for TT in this case.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Paul Rossen said:
If I recall correctly RYAN's Daughter did not have a reserved seat run on it's premiere engagement at the Ziegfeld Theater in NYC. Seats were not reserved but you could purchase tickets for specific performances(either 2 or 3 a day). In was shown in Super Panavision 70mm and had all the trappings of a roadshow but without the reserved seating.

Regard STAR! TCM just had a HD showing. It looked quite good.
Yet still, New Yorkers flocked to Ryan’s Daughter, from its premiere that November and for thirty-three weeks afterwards. The film, initially presented in the old ‘roadshow’ format including its overture and intermission, lasted three and a half hours, so the Ziegfeld could only schedule two or three shows a day.
Ryan’s Daughter — all of Lean’s pictures, actually — seemed ready-made for the Ziegfeld. By 1970, many of New York’s grandest movie screens were already torn down. Those that remained were in Times Square, and it’s doubtful that the Upper East Side crowd — older, wealthier New Yorkers — felt comfortable settling down in those theaters by this time. The Ziegfeld, right off Sixth Avenue, was also nearby midtown’s swankiest restaurants (as Mad Men, which once mentioned the old Ziegfeld Theater, regularly demonstrates.)
The film was also presented in Super Panavision 70, a film process using ‘spherical optic’ lenses that had only been used by a few films. (2001: A Space Odyssey, another Ziegfeld success, used the same process.) Such visual scope blasted out from the Ziegfeld’s immense screen, beguiling and even numbing audiences as the IMAX of its day.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
A list of 70mm films in Manhattan in 1970s. The theaters where they played as well whether they were "roadshow reserved performance" films.

January 20:

ANNE OF THE THOUSAND DAYS

Anamorphic Blow-Up / Six-Track Stereo

Universal

Manhattan: [Cinema 5/Rugoff] Plaza

February 5:

PATTON

Dimension-150 / Six-Track Stereo

Reserved-Seat Engagement

20th Century-Fox

“No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country.”

Manhattan: [B.S. Moss] Criterion

Includes World Premiere on Feb. 4

Occasionally promoted as “Patton: A Salute To A General”

Additional 70mm Engagements

Wayne: [Colonial] Willowbrook (Aug. 21)

Manhattan: [Cinema 5/Rugoff] Paramount (Feb. 16, 1972)

February 18:

“4 For The Ziegfeld”

GONE WITH THE WIND (Feb. 18-24)

DOCTOR ZHIVAGO (Feb. 25-Mar. 3)

THE BIBLE: IN THE BEGINNING… (Mar. 4-10)

THE SOUND OF MUSIC (Mar. 11-17)

Manhattan: [Walter Reade] Ziegfeld

[Also see 1965, 1966 & 1967 entries]

March 5:

AIRPORT

Todd-AO / Six-Track Stereo

Universal

“The #1 Novel Of The Year—Now A Motion Picture!”

Manhattan: [Rockefeller] Radio City Music Hall

World Premiere Engagement — “The First 70mm Film In The History Of Radio City Music Hall”

Includes “Glory Of Easter” & “Potpouri ’70” stage shows

March 26:

WOODSTOCK

16mm/Techniscope Blow-Up* / Multiscreen / Six-Track Stereo*

Warner Bros.

“No one who was there will ever be the same. Be there.”

Manhattan: [Trans-Lux] East

Expanded Release on Apr. 1

Manhattan: [Trans-Lux] West

*70mm presentation unconfirmed — Some sources suggest 70mm print availability in selected markets — Some sources suggest the Trans-Lux East and West theatres were equipped only for 35mm presentation at time of engagement

April 29:

“In The Splendor Of 70mm Wide Screen And Full Stereophonic Sound!”

GONE WITH THE WIND (Apr. 29-May 5)

DOCTOR ZHIVAGO (May 6-12)

THE SAND PEBBLES (May 13-19)

2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY (May 20-26)

Cedar Grove: [Colonial] Cinema 23

Series originally scheduled to include “The Bible” in the May 20-26 slot

[Also see 1965, 1966, 1967 & 1968 entries]

May 20:

TOO LATE THE HERO

Spherical Blow-Up / Six-Track Stereo

ABC/Cinerama Releasing

“War. It’s a dying business.”

Manhattan: [Pacific East] Cinerama

July 23:

DARLING LILI

Paramount

Includes “Ravel’s Bolero” stage show

September 24:

TORA! TORA! TORA!

Reserved-Seat Engagement

20th Century-Fox

“The re-creation of the incredible attack on Pearl Harbor”

Manhattan: [B.S. Moss] Criterion

Includes Co-World Premiere on Sep. 23 (gala event held in Tokyo, New York, Los Angeles and Honolulu)

Additional 70mm Engagement

Union: [RKO Stanley-Warner] Union (Apr. 2, 1971)

November 5:

SONG OF NORWAY

Super Panavision 70 / Six-Track Stereo

Reserved-Seat Engagement

ABC/Cinerama Releasing

“A song for the heart to sing…for the world to love!”

Manhattan: [Pacific East] Cinerama

Includes World Premiere on Nov. 4

Expanded Release on Feb. 10, 1971

Upper Montclair: [Fabian] Bellevue

Woodbury: [UA] Cinema 150

November 10:

RYAN’S DAUGHTER

Super Panavision 70 / Six-Track Stereo

Reserved-Performance Engagement

MGM

“A story of love. Filmed by David Lean.”

Manhattan: [Walter Reade] Ziegfeld

Includes World Premiere on Nov. 9

November 19:

SCROOGE

National General

“Scrooge, the musical with enough holiday spirit for two holidays!”

Includes “The Nativity” & “Cheers” stage shows

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Jimbo64 said:
Raintree County was never actually shown in 65 or 70 mm correct?
Though it had a 65mm negative, according to In70mm.com it was only released in 35mm.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
One of the later Roadshow films was Mary, Queen of Scots (1971) - premiered Christmas 1971 in LA, General Release in early 1972. This film had an impressive cast and received multiple Academy Award and Golden Globe nominations. There is a U.S. DVD double feature release with Anne of the Thousand Days. There is also Region 2 DVD. Excellent performances in this film, I hope someone releases it on BD.

mary-queen-of-scots-movie-poster-1972-1010243133.jpg

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Yes I have it on DVD. It was released as part of a double feature with ANNE OF THE THOUSAND DAYS.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Dr Griffin said:
One of the later Roadshow films was Mary, Queen of Scots (1971) - premiered Christmas 1971 in LA, General Release in early 1972. This film had an impressive cast and received multiple Academy Award and Golden Globe nominations. Strangely, this movie hasn't even received a DVD release in the U.S. There is a Region 2 DVD. Excellent performances in this film, I hope someone releases it.

mary-queen-of-scots-movie-poster-1972-1010243133.jpg
It did. It was put in a two-disc Region 1 DVD pack with Anne of the Thousand Days. I have it. I presume it was released by Universal.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Matt Hough said:
It did. It was put in a two-disc Region 1 DVD pack with Anne of the Thousand Days. I have it. I presume it was released by Universal.

Yes,I corrected my post - had some search issues while looking for it. I've seen it many times but only on TV.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
After having been mesmerized by Glenda Jackson in Elizabeth R on television, I couldn't wait to see her in the part on the big screen. She's wonderful, of course, but it's Redgrave's film undoubtedly.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
There wasn't a roadshow between approximately 1955 until sometime in the early 70s, that I didn't see. I'd love to see them all get proper Blu-ray releases. However, my first choice, by a mile, is STAR!, a film I saw multiple times at Philadelphia's The Boyd Theater, prior to it being pulled for re-editing. I never saw the edited version, and it was a dream come true when the complete film was released on laserdisc, looking and sounding so good. The DVD release is botched, which seems to have become a habit with Fox.

bombayteddy

Auditioning
Real Name
Teddy
I cant understand why critics have panned "Song of Norway".

It may not be GREAT cinema but it does have Grieg's lovely music, an interesting story-line and superb photography of stunning locations "in the splendour of 70mm" as the billboards used to say here in Bombay :)

The time is ripe for a digital restoration and release on Blu-ray, so that a new generation could appreciate this under-rated film.

PLEASE keep me posted!!

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
bombayteddy said:
I cant understand why critics have panned "Song of Norway".

It may not be GREAT cinema but it does have Grieg's lovely music, an interesting story-line and superb photography of stunning locations "in the splendour of 70mm" as the billboards used to say here in Bombay :)

The time is ripe for a digital restoration and release on Blu-ray, so that a new generation could appreciate this under-rated film.

PLEASE keep me posted!!

I always get SONG OF NORWAY mixed up with THE GREAT WALTZ. Both directed by Andrew Stone of course. They both played in London in Cinerama. i saw one of them but I'm afraid I watched in such a state of stultifying boredom that I can never remember which of the two films I saw - the film was expunged from my memory.

Sorry Teddy, if it was SONG OF NORWAY. I do remember a ballroom so perhaps it was THE GREAT WALTZ that I saw :)

bombayteddy

Auditioning
Real Name
Teddy
Douglas R said:
I always get SONG OF NORWAY mixed up with THE GREAT WALTZ. Both directed by Andrew Stone of course. They both played in London in Cinerama. i saw one of them but I'm afraid I watched in such a state of stultifying boredom that I can never remember which of the two films I saw - the film was expunged from my memory.

Sorry Teddy, if it was SONG OF NORWAY. I do remember a ballroom so perhaps it was THE GREAT WALTZ that I saw :)
Indeed it was "The Great Waltz"! If it were fjords you remembered then one could say, probably "Song of Norway" :)

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
I went to Bradford over the weekend and saw HTWWW in Cinerama, The Best of Cinerama and Cineramacanna which 3 x Todd-AO
clips from original prints were screened the last clip being The Last Valley. The print still had a bit of colour and the
6 track stereo was fab and it looked great on the Cinerama screen.

It would be great to have a BD of this.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
DP 70 said:
I went to Bradford over the weekend and saw HTWWW in Cinerama, The Best of Cinerama and Cineramacanna which 3 x Todd-AO
clips from original prints were screened the last clip being The Last Valley. The print still had a bit of colour and the
6 track stereo was fab and it looked great on the Cinerama screen.

It would be great to have a BD of this.
The Last Valley looked really good, interesting movie, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks