What's new

Will Star Trek get a proper big screen send-off, or did it go out with a whimper? (1 Viewer)

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Trek VI is not without flaws, but I still think it's a pretty fitting sendoff for the original crew. And I always took the "where no one has gone before," (both on TNG and the nod to it in VI) not just as the politically correct thing to include women, but also as a nod to the many races that are part of the Federation, which have always been used in the stories to represent different cultures. Maybe I'm looking too deep into it, but that's the way I've always interpreted it.

At any rate, I'd love to see another TNG film, but not for a while. I agree that the franchise really needs a rest. I'd love to see even 2 or 3 featuring characters from all the TNG-era series. Clear up some long-standing questions, fix some continuity. That's a pipe dream, of course, but who knows?

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
While I am aware the "Where no ONE has gone before" was changed in The Next Generation to be politically correct, that wasn't why Kirk uttered the line in his final log entry in Star Trek VI. He spoke the line as a direct reference to The Next Generation to bridge the gap between them. My point was that in the director's commentary, it is clear that Nick Meyer didn't know that. Although I'm sure he must have been made aware of it at the time, he has clearly forgotten it after all these years.

Kirk's glasses I didn't mind because, after all, he's allergic to retinax. ;)

DougFND

Stunt Coordinator

I think this whole "passing the torch" thing was more of a media and fan thing. The whole movie was about human prejudice towards Klingons. Remember the "human rights" discussion between Chekov and Azetbur? Kirks speech right after the assasination was thwarted?

Meyer's explanation of the the last log entry seems more logical.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"and frankly I've had quite enough of Picard and Data..... I'll gladly take their absence to get some time with the other characters that have been neglected.."

Ive been saying this since First Contact.I started a thread here in Movies over 5 years ago saying Picard needs to die aand everyone said I was silly.

Id rather see Riker in command with LaForge with some of the other more familiar faces - maybe Paris,Shelby,Barclay, Bashir,7of9 and Worf

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen

The adventures of the USS Titan, under Captain Riker and his first officer Commander Shelby. Works for me. (Fanboy musings, I know...but what the hell...)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks