1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Will R3 superbit DVD's Play in my R1 player?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by KevinFC, Nov 12, 2003.

1. KevinFC

KevinFC Well-Known Member

I have heard that R3 superbit DVD's can play in R1 DVD players. I am looking to buy some of these but before i do i wanted to make sure that they will play. I have an Onkyo 5 disc player. Thanks for the feedback!

2. Prentice Cotham

Prentice Cotham Well-Known Member

From what I've heard, yes they will.

3. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Well-Known Member

i will answer that by noting: I have my Mac DVD Player set to R3 for Korean discs. One day I was going to watch one of my US Superbit discs-and discovered that it (and all of the ones I own-) played WITHOUT switching to R1.... for what thats worth.
    (I dont own any R3 Superbits)

4. James Reader

James Reader Well-Known Member

Although I have not tried it, I've read all Superbits (whatever the region) are region free (apart from the releases that premiered with a rather dubious Superbit branding - The Panic Room, Adaptation and Punch Drunk Love - for obvious reasons)

5. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Well-Known Member

Adam
    All of my my Superbit discs are coded for specific regions. Many are for 1, 3 and 4 but some are R1 only (eg. Panic Room and Air Force One) or R1 and R4 (Resident Evil). Their coding seems to to depend on the age of the title and who has distribution rights in regions other than 1. AF1 is a Buena Vista title in many regions outside R1 for example, hence its R1-only coding, and Resident Evil is distributed in R2 Japan by Toshiba as 'Biohazard' hence its lack of R2 compatibility.

The following are Superbit discs I own and the regions they are coded for:

Resident Evil: R1, R4.
    Dracula: R1, R3, R4
    Anaconda: R1, R3, R4
    Air Force One: R1
    Bad Boys: R1, R3, R4
    Labyrinth: R1, R3, R4
    Das Boot: R1, R3, R4
    The Fifth Element: R1, R3, R4
    The Mask of Zorro: R1, R3, R4
    Panic Room: R1
    Shakespeare in Love: R2, R4

Based on these titles and their regions, there is a good chance that a given R3 Superbit title will play in your machine, but it isn't a certainty and will depend on the specific title.

Adam