What's new

Will Peter Jackson or anyone else make "The Hobbit"?? (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I believe in college he was a top-ranked fencer. So perhaps he did do all of his own dueling?
He did the stuff when it was a close up on him but the majority was a stunt double. He's just too frail for that kind of work these days (they also offered him Gandalf but he declined, saying that they should find a younger actor who could handle the physical demands of the role).

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Could Jackson at some point want to (or be talked into)make The Hobbit?

Money talks, we know what walks ...

Speaking of walking, it is time for this thread to be walking over to Movies ...

Eric F

Screenwriter
How about an all CGI version? The cutscenes from The Hobbit demo that comes with the XBox mag this month looks pretty good. They definately have the right idea.

Dump the game, keep the cutscenes.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Could Jackson at some point want to (or be talked into)make The Hobbit?
Well there just may be a chance, since he just recently has stated that he would be interested in doing it and is actually surprised that New Line hasn't asked him about it yet.

So, yeah, maybe. ;)

And now that this thread is in MOVIES, there's really no reason to continue this discussion here, right?

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor
I'm in no hurry for a live action Hobbit. Unlike Lord of the Rings, the animated version of Hobbit is reasonably good.

I can wait.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I'm subscribing to this thread on the off-chance that we may one day hear some news about Jackson doing The Hobbit. :)

Man that really would be great.

If greed prevails, they could easily split it into two 2-hour films. I'd rather have that than a mini-series.

Ooh..unless it was like some HBO Band of Brothers mini-series. :D:D:D

But c'mon. You KNOW this movie's gonna happen eventually! We're talking about a studio that bankrolled Dumb & Dumberer!!!

Mike Mundt

Stunt Coordinator
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you honestly think christopher lee did all that lightsaber dueling??
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe in college he was a top-ranked fencer. So perhaps he did do all of his own dueling?

actually he does mention that he has had experience in sword fighting in the Star Wars Ep II Commentary but he said it was on stage sword fighting, as far as fencing in college i have no idea. But that fight scene was him in only a few parts and mostly a stunt double with Christopher Lee's face digitally put back on. If you watch the Commentary done by either "directer, producers, etc" or the commentary done by "actors" both Christopher Lee and someone in the other commentary mention most of that fighting is not him, you have to remember Christopher was 79 (as they also mention), when he did that movie. Thats tough at that age.

Dave-Q-H

Agent
The Hobbit by PJ/Weta etc, would be great!

they could do a prologue showing the history of the Dwarves (from the LotR appendix) -from Durin first releasing the Balrog in Moria, to the Dwarf & Orc wars and how Thorin got the name Oakenshield, to the exile of Thorin's people by Smaug

Do it after King Kong, PJ! then get to work adapting the Silmarillion!!

:D

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Lee said something to the effect of "my arms are still limber, but my legs aren't", so all the full-body shots of Dooku fighting feature the stuntman with Lee's face digitally added.

Christopher_Ham

Stunt Coordinator
I saw a trailer for the Hobbit on Kazza that looked totally legitimate. It had Smog the dragon and everything, and said it would be released Christmas 2005. It looked totally real. I am not sure though. It looked like a trailer that would be shown with Return of the King.

Ben Osborne

Second Unit
Chris, that's a fan-made trailer. The dragon footage is from Dragonheart. TheOneRing.net had a link to it a while ago.

Jack Shappa

Second Unit
That editorial in TheOneRing.net about a hobbit movie was an interesting read, but I did have a nice laugh at this line:

"Jackson's film trilogy has raked in over $640,000,000.00 US and as of this writing the third movie has not yet been released! The mind boggles at a movie franchise pulling in a trillion dollars... but whoop, there it is - or will be."

Heh, box office for Return of the King will need to be quite a bit more than the preiovus movies to make it to a trillion dollars for the three :)

- Cryo

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
If Hollywood has proven anything it's that money talks. Dangle enough in front of the right people and you can get anything made. The foremost example in this is The Godfather: Part III; EVERYONE in that production knew better. Nonetheless, nearly all the relevant cast and crew saddled-up and rode that old nag back to town.

That PJ and McKellen actually want to do The Hobbit is a blessing for everyone who enjoyed the films. I would love to see the rest of the applicable cast members go for another round if possible. I think PJ would make The Hobbit darker, more adult, and thus more popular than if it retained the tone of a children's story.

As I understand it, the folks at New Line who greenlighted LOTR aren't there any more so I have to wonder if the present management are willing to follow the same path. I'm sure there are some political issues but it would be foolish for New Line to waste an opportunity like this while the iron is still hot and the more senior cast members are still working. Even if UA has the distribution rights to The Hobbit they would still make piles of cash.

The Silmarillion, I believe, is unfilmable without serious changes. As a series of short stories in and of itself, some treatment similar to Twilight Zone: The Movie or Creep Show would be most appropriate but as there is nearly no dialogue plenty would have to be written and it would be impossible to contain in three films, let alone one.

What would be interesting, perhaps, is an add-on film of other Tolkien stories. Imagine Sam sitting in his comfy living room at Bag End reading Farmer Giles of Ham and The Smith of Wooten Major to his children. While they don't take place in Middle Earth it could be done. Perhaps some of the Book of Lost Tales stories could be thrown in as well.

Properly treated, the Lord of the Rings franchise could have a very long and healthy life. Where it differs from a long-running series like Star Wars is that everything is already written and the quality of the work is marvelously consistent.

Just some ideas. If anyone from New Line is reading this, email me! I'll work cheap! :D

Tony_Ramos

Second Unit
Actually, I have seen PJ quoted many times as saying that he would find it very weird if he let them do a Hobbit film without him, that he would feel responsible for making sure it is done properly. If you insist I'll look it up, but PLEASE just take my word on that. It's not a confirmation, but it shows that the project does have appeal for him. However, Ain't It Cool News has reported King Kong is set for 2005 release with a small project, possibly a horror film, in the interim, both produced by Weta. Perhaps PJ could take a producer role similar to the close relationship bewteen Cuaron and Columbus on Azkaban?

I sincerely hope we one day get a Hobbit miniseries or movie with Ian Holm and Ian McKellan and directed by PJ. It would have less action and be directed for a childlike audience, so I think it would take a year max, especially since they have a lot of conceptual and design work done.

Someone made the excellent point that b/c of the ring's unnatural extension of life, bilbo would have looked nearly what malcom looks like in FOTR. just die his hair slightly brown like in the prologue to FOTR and he'd be perfect. bilbo was a bout 60 in the hobbit and hobbits normally live to about 100.

Also, Christopher Lee's face was digitally super-imposed on any lightsaber scene with footwork or that didn't have a closeup or dialogue. It's in the documentaries of the Episode II disc and it's pretty well done, apparently, if no one could tell. I also think this is what contributed to that scene being slightly short and choppily edited.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks