1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Will Onkyo SR600 drive GR A/V-2s?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by JamesThompson, Dec 22, 2003.

1. JamesThompson

JamesThompson Active Member

I've been searching around for DIY bookshelf kits and have ran across the A/V-2s from GR. These seem to be great speakers and I'm considering buying kits for my mains and eventually center channel.

These speakers are rated at ~4 ohm and I will be driving things from my receiver, which is an Onkyo SR600. Will this receiver be OK driving 4 ohm speakers, or should I look for alternative bookshelf speaker plans?

Thanks,

- JamesT

2. JamesThompson

After reading a bit more, 4ohm speakers and the Onkyo 600 seem like a bad idea.

Anything similar in price/performance to the A/V-2 in an 8 ohm configuration?

3. Brian Tatnall

Brian Tatnall Well-Known Member

I'm running a 500 to 4 ohm speakers. Fine and dandy.

SPEC SHEET RIGHT HERE

The Onkyo can certainly run 4ohms.

It's rated for all channels to go down to 6ohms and then the FRONTS are rated down to 3ohms. 4 should be fine.

Even then my experience with Onkyo's says they can take a beating and you ahve a little give and take with those numbers.

4. Jeff Meininger

Jeff Meininger Well-Known Member

Just make sure that the Onkyo is in a well-ventilated area with nothing on top of it... not in an enclosed cabinet or something.

5. JamesThompson

In my printed manual that came with the unit, it only lists sub-8 ohm power ratings for 2 channel operation. The web site clearly lists all 6 channels. [​IMG]

The unit is in its own shelf in my ent center with only about 1 1/2" to the bottom of the next shelf up, so that is cutting it very close.

I also just received an email from the good folks at GR with info on an 8-ohm version of the A/V-2 that they are calling the A/V-3S. [​IMG] The box dimensions are very close (if not identical) to the A/V-2 enclosure. I'm still waiting on detailed specs and prices. Hopefully the price/performance is on line with the A/V-2. If so, all my issues (8 ohm, bookshelf, $400 or under) will be met and I'll be building the kits soon.

6. BrianAe

BrianAe Well-Known Member

The Onkyo SR600 runs very cool compared to many other receivers. I have it driving Aperion Audio speakers which are fairly hard to drive as well.