What's new

Will new PS3-120gb play SACD? (1 Viewer)

The Seventh Taylor

Auditioning
Real Name
Steven H. Taylor

I can't imagine the licensing fee being the main thing. Several brands offering BD players were among the companies advocating DVD-Audio, notably Panasonic and Pioneer.
With TrueHD and MLP being so closely related, multi-channel high-resolution PCM being required for BD as well as DVD-Audio and all current BD players able to read DVD discs I see no technical complications either.
Above all, the fact that Panasonic's first BD player was DVDA-compatible proves it can be done.

I just don't get it why they miss out on this easy opportunity to add a tickmark to the list of legacy formats supported and make an important group of consumers happy.
It looks like Oppo may have to satisfy this opportunity.

The Seventh Taylor

Auditioning
Real Name
Steven H. Taylor
Originally Posted by Charlie O.

Are there any other blu-ray players that play SACDs? What about a blu-ray player that plays SACD and DVD-Audio CDs or am I pushing it now?
There's an overview page of such players now; already six brands and eight products in addition to PS3. And apart from the latter, most if not all play DVD-Audio too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks