1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Will I benefit from upsconverting?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by PatrickMiller, Nov 26, 2007.

1. PatrickMiller

PatrickMiller Active Member

Hi all, I just got a Sony Bravia LCD Rear-Proj. set (720) and was wondering if I would benefit from an upsconverting DVD player? I am now using a Sony prog. scan! I cant tell the diff between standard and progressive! Also how many hours of use can I expect out of my lamp?Thanks!

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Well-Known Member

Jim
    You will not benefit. I don't know about the lamp.

3. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Well-Known Member

Joseph DeMartino
    Your TV displays everything at 720p. It up- or down-converts all inputs to its native resolution because that is the only thing it can display. So the reason you can't tell the difference between interlaced and progressive is everything you're seeing is progressive. [​IMG]

Is you set a true 720p or is it 768p, as many LCD flat-panels are? If it is 720p you might see a slight improvement with an upconverting DVD player - assuming the player's scaler is better than the one in your television. But if it is 768p your set is still going to have to make a final adjustment to the image, and all you're doing is adding one more processing step. I seriously doubt that it would be worth the experiment.

And sorry, I can't answer the lamp question, either.

Regards,

Joe

4. PatrickMiller

PatrickMiller Active Member

So who benefits from this?....I guess it is a waste to buy component for my setup, I should just use S-vid huh? Thanks!

5. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Well-Known Member

Who benefits ... people with sets that have poor scaling, the DVD may do a somewhat better job. To get the real big jumps in quality you need actual HD-DVD or Blu-ray.

No, component provides more bandwidth for the color signals than S-video, it's worthwhile. Just don't spend ripoff prices for the cables. Monoprice.com has good inexpensive cables, no need to spend more than $1-2 per foot.

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Well-Known Member

John
    Deinterlacing is another factor and if your set doesn't do a good job of it (which many do not), you will want a player that is decent at it. That means you need component from a progressive player as you cannot get progressive via s-vid. I agree, a Blu-ray or HD DVD player would be the way to go to get the most benefit picture quality wise.

7. JohnRice

JohnRice Well-Known Member

John
    Is it my imagination, or are 2 out of every 3 threads about upconverting these days? I guess it's the new marketing panacea.

8. John Garcia

John Garcia Well-Known Member

John
    Buzzword [​IMG] Technically it is upscaling, not upconverting, but whatever...