What's new

Will DVD-Audio Survive (1 Viewer)

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Mike,

I will no longer get into meaningless banter with you. You are obviously misinformed, and sticking to your guns no matter what anyone else says or how wrong you have been proven. This is a sign of a person defeated in their argument. You are no longer worth the time to me, and I suggest other members just ignore your further postings as well.

As for what you said about Keith:

You seem the trouble maker. I've been following both of these formats before they were even brought to be. You seem a little offensive since I don't share your joy in the format.
Keith needs no defense his reputation speaks for itself, but I will say the following anyway. He is one of the most helpful members I have run into on this forum, and a very well respected long time member. He is not a trouble maker in the least. Being a member for only one month you really are starting to gain a bad reputation for yourself. Just a word of advice.

J

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Guys,
Simmer down here...... Stop the back and forth bantering.......
Any further uncivil talks will lead to thread closure or suspensions!!!

Mark All

Second Unit
Hi Peter,
The HDCD question is a little off subject with this thread, but seems appropriate given the "survival" aspect of the original question. You may want to start a separate thread with this question to attract more opinions. I'm interested in this too. I've lost track of where HDCD stands now. I do know that Microsoft bought the company that developed HDCD a couple of years ago and I vaguely remember reading something about them trying to work it into their products now. So, although it may be a "dead" technology, it will continue to exist buried under other code. My Toshiba DVD player supports HDCD and the few CDs I have that are encoded that way, about 25, sound better with it than played without it. However, recording technology seems to be getting better every year for CD in the standard format. Some new music recordings sound just as good to me even though they're just released in the standard CD format. Also, the Denon 3803 receiver uses some kind of processing with 16-bit audio to smooth out the sound of older CDs.
I have to laugh when I see the label "audiophile" bantered about here.;) Most of the users of this forum seem to be enthusiasts or hobbyists, myself included. Although some users start off ranting and continue in that vein, their opinions are sometimes interesting, if a little over the top in presentation. To me, an audiophile is someone who spends $3K on a CD transport, and $500 on a power cord, and swears his CD player sounds better than SACD. As for me, I buy what equipment I can reasonably afford and relish releases of new media in new formats no matter what they are.

Robert Elrod

Agent
I think that DVD-A should have an excellent year for several reasons...
According to the December 02 issue of Computer Music...
and the new Audigy 2 cards support DVD-A playback using existing DVD-ROMs.

CurtisC

Second Unit
FYI, many of the dvd audio disk I own have very good 192khz stereo option,along with 96khz 5.1 option.

Dale Ridgeway

Stunt Coordinator
i hope the Beatles on dvd-a becomes a reality. That alone may sway the masses to dive into dvd-a. It seems logical since Emi seems has chosen dvd-a for their releases.
Hopefully the bass management issue will be resolved on all newer players this year. This, coupled with the availabilty of players that play all formats will entice those people still sitting on the fence not having to choose a side in the format war.

peter m. wilson

Stunt Coordinator
hi,
sorry about the hdcd segway, i thought if i could shift the focus a bit it might diffusesomething that was starting to get ugly.

i'm taking my Denon 5800 into Denon here in Toronto to-orrow (under my dealer's work order#) for the upgrade.
i haven't understood the entire benefit that this upgrade entails but i think that some type of bass management is in there somwhere, but if i have to by the 9000 to experience it i'll stick to my rp82 until the more reasonably priced combo units hit Canada and then my sacd purchases can catch up to my dvd-audio ones.

btw i wen't to the hdcd site last week looking for a list of available cd's and hit print on the computer. i think there was 43 pages. i have the sd5109 which i use stricly for music in another room now so, i probably will still look for the hdcd logo when buying 2 channel.

thanks for your comments,
peter m.

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
Since DVD-A has came out, it's gathered most of my interest. I'm just disappointed in the lack of bass management on players.
And the same goes for multichannel SACD players. Fortunately, the firewire link for hires audio that Pioneer have, er, pioneered :D will allow the hires decoders to be in the receivers/prepros where they belong so we can get proper bass/time management.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Then SACD doesn't include any time compensation delays for any channel. This will lead to holes in the high bass, where high and low crossover points can't add correctly because they're out of time with one another
Huh?
Time alligment has nothing to do with cross overs,and it affects the whole frequency range!
It's simply an alternate "solution" for speaker distances.
When speakers are placed other then equidistant,the soundstage will be "shifted" to the closest speaker,just like when you sitting closer to one of the 2 speakers,when you listening to a stereo recording.So in order to "recreate" the original "intent" of the recording,one must place the speakers equidistant,or have TA as plan "b".

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mike Up, if you don't like what SACD has to offer, fine. Get over it and move on! However, to say that the format is dead because it does not offer what you want is plain sour grapes. The format is not right for you. That hardly means it is dead.
Your comments about DTS are just ludicrous. They are the most erroneous comments I have read here in a long, long time. No audiophile who knows audio thinks that DTS is transparent. It's a compressed audio format, for crying out loud! Get real already!
It's been nice having you here. :rolleyes

peter m. wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
it would seem that I'm in the midst of a discussion amongst some fairly enlightened members with regard to bass management concerning our newest audio formats so please tolerate a fairly pedestrian question.

i sort of got the chance to experience dvd-audio by default when it came included with an sdi modified panasonic rp82 that i purchased from IMMERSIVE to go with my HOLO3D video scaler. Rather than having the subwoofer go into the mltich on my Denon i have it going directly to the pwrd sub and set at 80 i control it's effect from there.
On discs like "RIDING WITH THE KING" if left to it's own devices i find the sub effect way over the top on many songs and have to adjust it downword for it not to overwhelm the rest of the piece.
i'm thinking now that this might be needed due the how my Totem model 1's handel bass. regardless of my particular issues in this regard are any of you handeling the sub the same way or is it always handeled through your processor's.

thanks,
peter m.

Joe Cole

Second Unit
I own both. Prefer SACD by a long ways but:

If more DVD-A would use the 24/192 stereo processing level it would make a difference in how I look at DVD-A disks. I'd buy more.

And IMO I'd say DVD-A might wind up being the default sound track for HD-DVDs in the near future. It would make sense to me, especially since Warner is a big backer of DVD-A.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Re: People thinking either of these are going to replace CD as a mainstream music format. Ain't gonna happen. CDs are fine for everyone but audiophiles.
Uh, the jury is still out on this one. Super Audio very well could replace CD as a mainstream music format.
Lots of big titles could be released and more people could climb aboard very easily. Sony could start issuing hybrods only...
Lots can happen. Never say never when technology is involved. :)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
i hope the Beatles on dvd-a becomes a reality. That alone may sway the masses to dive into dvd-a. It seems logical since Emi seems has chosen dvd-a for their releases.
Uh, they just chose their biggest release to date in Super Audio...Dark Side of The Moon.

EMI is playing both sides of the fence and there are rumors flying that EMI has done 5.1 versions of The Beatles for Super Audio. I'm not saying any format is a done deal, but to think DVDA is EMI's sole consideration is contrary to recent behavior by that firm.

Only time will tell.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
SACD is being promoted by Sony. That's a sure death. They killed the Minidisc format that I loved. Beta didn't survive, and most never heard of SACD. Where are the manufactures? SONY. Oh yeah, Marantz, Pioneer Elite, Onkyo, and Yamaha now have "UNIVERSAL" Players. All these Universal players are $1000 and over. Yeh, that's going to get people to buy. Besides, look at the pathetic selection offered. It sucks. Most are only stereo and not multichannel. IMO, SACD is already dead.
Wow! What a whopper of incorrect information. Where to begin? and where have I been?
Minidisc: The rumors of this death are greatly exaggerated. Have you been to Asia or Europe lately? You should see the selection in Tokyo...
Player Availability: According to Ole Lund Christensen's recent count, there are like 30 brand names available now. Not too shabby for a new format and as Keith as pointed out, a nice bunch below $500 and $1,000.
Super Audio Already Dead: Yeah, and monkeys may fly out of my butt! :laugh: How can you say this when they are releasing one of the best selling albums of all time in the format? When the entire audiophile community is behind it? When Sony & Philips have billions on the line?
On the contrary, Super Audio is gaining momentum...

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I don't understand all the discussion on bass management. One can purchase an ICBM device and be finished with it. A lot of speaker mfrs like Magnepan are already building custom versions with ICBM for their own speakers.

There are limitations with both formats in the bass management area, but most consumers will not notice this.

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
I don't understand all the discussion on bass management. One can purchase an ICBM device and be finished with it. A lot of speaker mfrs like Magnepan are already building custom versions with ICBM for their own speakers.
Lee,
If one where to have DVD-A and SACD, one would probably need two ICBM's, use a switchbox, get additional cables, or place an ICBM between amp and pre-amp or receiver to properly perform bm. This is at least a $250.00 (with cables)investment. I think the masses are saying this is ridiculous!
Now saying that, the makers of hi-res do exclaim that all speakers should be equidistant from listener and full frequency. While this may be available to the true audiophile who has disposable income and environment to adapt for this, most audio and ht enthusiast are unable to meet these stringent guidelines. Lucky for me my front towers and center are respectively spec'd low.
If the DVD-A and SACD were truly targeted for the masses, they would have bm integrated in the players. I think we are seeing this(increasing units with bass management) right now because hi-res WAS targeted for the true audiophile but now the companies are seeing audio enthusiasts as another target audience (like multi-channel music) and are playing catch-up, thus the lower price models of universal players( this does not necessarily reflect Sony's weird decisions--but this thread is about DVD-Audio, not SACD).
I do feel that DVD-A will survive, but not to the level of dvd or cd formats alone. I truly enjoy it, even without bm, but would like to see allot more titles come out.
Peace to all!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks