What's new

Will Blu Ray work on this old tv? (1 Viewer)

jjs

Auditioning
Real Name
james
I have an old Mitsubishi 46" projection television - model Wt-46807. Because it's old, it has no hdmi.

I just inherited a Samsung BLue Ray player - model BD-D5100. Samsung tells me that is should work with the Mitsu tv by connecting it with compent cables. As it turns out, the player I inherited is broken and out of warranty. I have located a refurbished model for $50, but before I buy that model I have 2 questions:

1) Is Samsung correct in that thhe BD-D5100 will work on my old tv via component cables?

2) Are there any other Blu Ray players from other manufacturers that will work with component cables ?

Thanks in advance.
JJS

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
And if it doesn't have DVI. No, there are no current BD players with component because of Analog Sunset (google it).You have to buy a used player prior to "being new" January 2013.

jjs

Auditioning
Real Name
james
it has "high resolution input" - that I have my comcast cable box plugged into with component cables, but no dvi input

jjs

Auditioning
Real Name
james
no - under the "high resolution Input" section there is a component section and a DTV section

jjs

Auditioning
Real Name
james
[

here ya go

attachment=3559:mitsu inputs.jpg]

Attachments

• mitsu inputs.jpg
    mitsu inputs.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 74

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I forgot to come back and tell you I found a review of the set from 2000.

Yep, no DVI.

No you cannot buy a new BD player. I would suggest a Panasonic DMP BD35(or a 55 or 85...depending if you want any "smart" features) because Panny sold a crap ton of them...they are plentiful used(check Ebay) and I would not hesitate telling you to buy a used Panny BD player.

Same thing with Sony (BDP S350...I forget how "that years" number progression went...maybe 450 and 550? again if you want "smart" features).

Stay away from used Samsung. LG and Sharp won't be plentiful enough used to "be as inexpensive" as Sony and Panny.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way, the reason I chose the Panny X5(35/55/65/85) and Sony X50(350...etc) is because...

They are from the first year of profile 2.0 (BD live)....so...

They are "current", minus widespread WiFi, and there really is nothing a "newer model year" in Panny or Sony to really warrant not buying one from the first year of BD live...other than costing you twice to three times as much for essentially the same thing.

jjs

Auditioning
Real Name
james
as you can tell, I'm not very bright about this stuff - what is BD live?

and, just to verify - the models you mention can be hooked up with component cables - right?
do you happen to know if they have an ethernet port?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
BD live means BD profile 2.(profile 2 has more than "just live"...but BD live was the big one)

All profile 2 BD players are updated via the internet. So, yes...you connect an ethernet.

And BD live turned into a yawner...unless you buy a bunch of Disney discs and you have

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
And oh yeah...

"the models you mention can be hooked up with component cables - right?"

Component output on BD players disappeared this year. There was this "government vs BDA" thing about DRM.

BDA said "we won't allow 1080P" home use unless we can control it(DRM).
The government said "not everybody with a HD TV has HDMI".

Their "compromise" was the Analog Sunset. (this year)

jjs

Auditioning
Real Name
james
I greatly appreciate all the replies - I don't care about knew - I just want to be able to connect with component cables and get netflix

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks