What's new

Will Blu-Ray support UltraHD? Would you buy a UltraHD TV and a new Blu-Ray player? (1 Viewer)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by RolandL /t/324723/will-blu-ray-support-ultrahd-would-you-buy-a-ultrahd-tv-and-a-new-blu-ray-player/30#post_3994860
Joe Kane said he did a demo of 2160p vs 1080p on a 84 inch screen to a group. They could not see any difference. Everyone said you needed a bigger than 84 inch screen to see the difference.

What was their seating distance to the screen. ?

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
Aside from 70mm titles like Lawrence of Arabia, I don't see the purpose of using 4k for older titles. New titles shot in 4K would benefit.
There is one "format extension" that I would like to see. 21:9 aspect ratio support. 21:9 TV's are a minority right now. Phillips stopped producing theirs and only LG and Vizio are making them now, but I think it's imperative that these TV's get some support from the blu-ray group. 21:9 aspect ratio movies can fit on regular 16:9 TV's and 4:3 TV's too through anamorphic resizing.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
revgen said:
Aside from 70mm titles like Lawrence of Arabia, I don't see the purpose of using 4k for older titles. New titles shot in 4K would benefit.
Actually, virtually all of the 4K versions of current films all originate from 35mm film.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
The point I was getting at,was the Sony LCD 4k(whatever) TV playing the uncompressed 4k Demo Video was the Best picture
I seen from any LCD or Plasma Clearly Better! I didn't compare it to 4k Projector or anything else
Until the prices come down and there's 4k films available ,the only 4k one sees will be in the Theater

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
Rob W said:
Actually, virtually all of the 4K versions of current films all originate from 35mm film.
Hmm...interesting. I saw MIB 3 a few months back in 4K. It didn't really look that much sharper than a regular movie projection. So that must be it.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'm in on day one and am available on a pro-bono basis to act as a consumer advocate for studios who are interested in discussing customer interest with real end users. For real. If you know studios and manufacturers who want to gauge interest from someone who is predisposed to sign up, point em my way.

Colin Davidson

Second Unit
Thanks to Panasonic and the BDA for hosting a dinner for us.
It was interesting to hear from the BDA and the discussions about UltraHD.
At this point pricing, availability and other factors would determine whether I would go UltraHD or not. I don't even have a 3D set yet.
Speaking of 3D sets and Panasonic...
Does anyone know what the model number of the 3D plasma flat screen was that was sitting outside the theater at Panasonic?
Since there is no thread for that visit I really don't have a place to ask or someone to contact at PHL to ask what it was.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
If this even were to happen (which I hope it went, at least for a decade) I do not believe for a second that the delivery format for the software will be a disc at all.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I'd like to belatedly thank the BDA and Panasonic for hosting a wonderful dinner party at Gordon Bierch (sp). I felt that the comments made by Andy Parsons were fair and honest, and am somewhat optimistic that the BDA really wants to avert another possible format war by researching to see if it would be possible to support UltraHD without having most consumers purchase an updated Blu-ray player.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Toddwrtr
I'd like to belatedly thank the BDA and Panasonic for hosting a wonderful dinner party at Gordon Bierch (sp). I felt that the comments made by Andy Parsons were fair and honest, and am somewhat optimistic that the BDA really wants to avert another possible format war by researching to see if it would be possible to support UltraHD without having most consumers purchase an updated Blu-ray player.
I know the logic behind that, far better to have a large user base when putting out possible 4K content but, i'd rather see a format optimized using the latest possible technology, i feel it would be a compromise to try and get 4K working on current blu ray tech, maybe they will prove me wrong and surprise me.
How much does it cost to make an SDHC card, i'd love to see 128GB SDHC cards used for 4K content rather than discs again, these cards have great security too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks