What's new

Will anyone buy the new Gameboy Micro next month (1 Viewer)

Dean C

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
I want to see how bright this little unit is. Right now the best Gameboy to date is the SP cause of screen protection the unit has a closed cover when not in use.
My only problem is how the screen will be protected.

Some people have already complained that the original Gameboy Advance should have had all this features the micro is going to be, the screen brightness control.

Don't even use the Nintendo DS anymore. The SP is still used alot by alot of nintendo fans til the Revolution comes.

JamesED

Second Unit
I waited to see the price. I was hoping they were going to set it for $80 but oh well. I placed an order last night for a DS instead, Advance Wars DS and Meteos have me pysched, not to mention online Mario Kart down the road.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I really don't think this thing is going to do that well, but we'll see in a month or six (after there are some numbers). There's a bunch of actual size photos around if that's all you're looking for, but I know what you mean about needing to get your hands on it.

Having not really used my GBA for months though, I can't really see the need. I'm getting more and more interested in the DS though-new advance wars, plus the new mario game and the new Mario & Luigi both look interesting. There's also a LOT of strange stuff that could be a lot of fun (Phoenix Wright, Trauma Centre, etc). Dean-feel like selling off your DS?

PerryD

Supporting Actor
I definitely am interested in getting one, just for the coolness and portability. I'm not worried about screen protection, I'm sure there will be third party sleeves that can store the unit. Regarding games, I love my DS, but I do have many many more games for the GBA that will get a second life with this new system since the DS is a bit clumsy size-wise for taking with me somewhere on a impulse.

I do hope that EBgames will run some sort of trade-in deal on it to upgrade the SP to the Micro.

Dean C

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
I hope so too that EB may run some sort of trade in deal.

Regarding my DS I am not using it much cause I only still have the Metroid demo game, and I play my sp more cause the screen brightness doesn't look any better. I am waiting on more DS games. Like the Nintendogs, and also Mario Kart, and Trauma Centre, and even Animal Crossing ds.

David Galindo

Screenwriter
You know, for $70 Id be all over the GBMicro. But $100 is way, way too much.

I do like the concept though, and will likely pick one up when the price drops.

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
Advance Wars: DS is a must-have for fans of the series. I picked it up this afternoon and I can honestly say that it's the best Advance Wars game to date. The touch screen control for the turn-based-startegy gameplay is better than I ever imagined.

I also got Nintendogs. Not sure if it will be the "killer app" it's been hyped up to be, but it will definitely sell Nintendo DS systems. It is something all DS owners should experience, afterall it is for unique titles such as this that we purchased a DS to begin with. After you see how the DS' touch screen and microphone factor into the "gameplay" you will be convinced that this is not just your ordinary pet simulator. If that doesn't work - the puppies will win you over with their cuteness!

Chris - both Pheonix Wright and Trauma Center look very interesting. I am also looking forward to Trace Memory (formerly known as Another Code).

JamesED

Second Unit
My DS came in. No regret taking the plunge on it instead. As Rhoq said, the new Advance Wars is really good. Meteos is also an incredible puzzle game.

Dean C

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
NOPE DARN IT ALL.

My parents checked the Micro out at some Nintendo Store had a demo one. I just saw it on the gameboy website.

Thru the years since the original came out I have over 100 gameboy game cartridges down to gameboy printer,camera etc...

It won't play any of my games but maybe a selected 63 advance games. I bought a DS well I think I'll stick with that. I was hoping it would be able to play all gameboy games. Only my advance and SP does.

Marshall W. Carter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marshall W. Carter
Not for that price. For $20 less you can get an SP, and for $30 more the DS. They've basically priced this one out of demand IMHO.

PeterMano

Stunt Coordinator
$100 for a two inch screen and changeable faceplates, with tech that is that how old now. Talk about your major ripoff.

Dean C

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
Just got back from Best Buy, they let me see some of them and WOW FINALLY A BACKLIT SYSTEM ONLY 6 SYSTEMS LATER.

It even beats the DS only on the backlit screen. NOW WHY DID THEY DO THIS?

Get rid of a cover for screen protecting for changing faceplates. this will die down.

And why did they stop letting people use their old gameboy games on this unit.

I think my GB, GBP, GBC, GBA, GBAsp, DS, PSP, vectrex, microvision, and Turboexpress will be good enough. May pick up a micro if the price goes down, just for a collectors piece.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member

Size. The GBA (and SP) could play GB(C) games because a second processor was included in the system. The micro eliminated this so that it could be made as small as it is.

If anyone is actaully interested, IGN is reporting that the SP is also getting a backlit screen in the new colors that were just released. Of course, it would just make more sense to get a DS at this point (larger screen, and still better quality than the new SP from the looks of things), but some people might like the cramped form factor of the SP :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks