What's new

Will a GR AV-3S play fine if horizontal? (1 Viewer)

I just ordered my GR AV-3S kit today to be used as my center channel. Is it generally OK to run bookshelf speakers positioined horizontally as opposed to their usual vertical position?

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
IMO when laying a MTM configuration on it's side, it's a good idea to use a XO topology designed to change the dispersion (lobing) so as to create the widest possible horizontal sweet spot.

I'm not sure how Danny deals with this issue....

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
I would love a mod for the av2's as well for laying it horizontal. If it isn't too dificult to come up with. I'm sure most people use an av2 on its side for centre channel duty. I believe Danny has a mod for a front ported cabinet if bookcase/shelf placement above the TV is the only option.

My only option for placement is on top of the TV in a large entertainment center armoire.

If it helps any, the A/V-3S is a sealed unit.

PaulDF

Second Unit
Isn't the A/V-3S designed to be a horizontal laying center channel anyway?? At least this was my understanding of it... An MTM with a raised tweeter. Either sealed or front/rear ported.

Will be nice when more info on it gets put up.

Ronnie Ferrell

Second Unit
James, I use a A/V-2 as my center channel. I ported it on the front and it is in the horizontal position as well. I LOVE it. I was in the same boat as you. It had to go on top of my TV in my Entertainment Armoire. I even had to change the dimensions a little to get it to fit. I made sure to keep the correct vol. I also angled the front baffle so the drivers pointed directly at the seated listener.

Here are a few photos:

The speaker is actually "built" into the shelf it is on

Build Process of custom A/V-C

rf

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks