What's new

WILD AT HEART (consolidated thread) (1 Viewer)

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
That slipcover rules. Anyway, can't wait to pick this up! Outstanding film, long time coming. Nice to see its so cheap.

john harshman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
john
i found on amazon that you can preorder this dvd

is this the same version as the previous non reg1 release?

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Just got this tonight. It looks insanely great. And there are more extras than expected, including Crispin Glover talking abut Cousin Dell! The only rub is that they talk about deleted scenes -- including the infamous Harry Dean Stanton sequence -- but, as with "Blue Velvet," we never get to see 'em.

VERY pleased, particularly after suffreing through Media's horribly-transferred LD for years.

I concur-- bring on "Lost Highway" (and that "Dune" SE).

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I'll probably buy this one anyway for the extras, but I'm extremely disappointed that we got the censored version. Universal released the film worldwide on DVD with the graphic violence intact. I realize it's very brief, but nonetheless it is the version censored to achieve an R rating. This is Eyes Wide Shut all over again. I definitely won't be parting with my Korean disc.

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor
I'll probably buy this one anyway for the extras, but I'm extremely disappointed that we got the censored version. Universal released the film worldwide on DVD with the graphic violence intact. I realize it's very brief, but nonetheless it is the version censored to achieve an R rating. This is Eyes Wide Shut all over again. I definitely won't be parting with my Korean disc.
David Lynch was heavily involved with the release of this DVD. If he had wanted the *Dafoe scene* left intact as it was on the international release prints, MGM would have gladly made this title an UNRATED DVD. However, as it stands Lynch wanted the original US print used for the US DVD edition with no deleted scenes on the side. By the way, for those that do not know those deleted scenes are in usable condition.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
The "censored" scene is so minor -- and still so graphic -- that it never has bothered me. I saw the uncut version whenI lived in the UK and think that the sequence actually looks kind of silly and unrealistic, so I'm not complaining.

This is a *great* DVD.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
David Lynch was heavily involved with the release of this DVD. If he had wanted the *Dafoe scene* left intact as it was on the international release prints, MGM would have gladly made this title an UNRATED DVD. However, as it stands Lynch wanted the original US print used for the US DVD edition with no deleted scenes on the side.
The cut that Lynch submitted to the MPAA originally, is the cut on the Universal DVD from Korea/Brazil/UK etc. It wasn't until it received an "X" that he was forced to cut the film. If Lynch really preferred the censored version, then he would've submitted it that way to begin with.

I will agree though that it obviously wasn't enough of a priority or else perhaps he would've fought for it.

Jeff

Jussi Tarvainen

Second Unit
Could somebody post more screen caps of the censored shotgun-blast-to-the-head scene? (I already looked at DVDBeaver's review.) I'm still on the fence about this one - I'd love to get the R1 for the extras etc., but having seen the uncensored version of the scene, I'd hate to lose it.

richardWI

Second Unit
lemme get this straight... people are complaining because the dvd doesn't include footage that WASN'T in the movie? And the word censorship is used?

This was a film that DL cut scenes from after a test screening with an audience (I don't know where DVDbeaver gets this "closest friends and associates" screening business) realizing that he "went too far" in certain places. I guess that was censorship too? How about when he cut 25 minutes from Lost Highway after a test screening?

Every Lynch movie released theatrically in the US is the director's cut.. even Dune. Show me where he has ever said otherwise. This is a guy that invoked "Alan Smithee" when somebody hobbled together an alternate Dune.

As far as other countries having alternate versions, clearly Lynch doesn't have as much control over what other countries put out as he does here. DL has NEVER complained of censorship re: WAH.

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor
clearly Lynch doesn't have as much control over what other countries put out as he does here
Lynch has before prepared alternative prints of his movies when they go overseas. Honestly, the optical smokescreen effect does not detract from the movie. In the UK, the opening scene of Wild at Heart has frames missing due to their censorship boards feelings toward the brutality of sequence.

Jussi Tarvainen

Second Unit
lemme get this straight... people are complaining because the dvd doesn't include footage that WASN'T in the movie? And the word censorship is used?
No, not all of us. The shotgun blast is obviously something the MPAA objected to in its uncensored form (instead of being an independent creative decision by Lynch), and whether or not Lynch ultimately preferred the obscured version or simply didn't want to bother fighting over the issue, I would like to own a version with the effect uncensored. In this case I don't really care what Lynch thinks (although of course I'd love to see the original long cut of the film). But the R1 is clearly the best version in other ways, which is why I asked for the screen caps.

BTW: I'd like to point out that Lynch has gone the way of digital fogging before in the case of the Mulholland Dr. DVD - and he clearly stated that it was out of respect for Laura Harring. My point is that although the DVD was "Lynch approved", the version of the film was altered out of politeness instead of purely artistic reasons.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Dune said:
The other countries have Lynch's final cut. The U.S. version had to be altered for the R rating. It has nothing to with Lynch having control.

Again, I am buying the US version anyway for a lot of other reasons, but I won't part with my Korean disc.

Jeff

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
When an artist turns in his work only to be told he has to alter it from its original intention, then yes...that is a form of censorship.
As I said before, your definition of censorship does not fit this scenario. He wasn't told to alter his film or it wouldn't be released, he was told that if he didn't alter it, the film would receive an X rating. Lynch made the choice himself to alter his film and take the R rating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks