What's new

Wii vs XBox vs PS3 (1 Viewer)

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Well it's safe to say I was shocked... SHOCKED! I tell you! when my wife, completely out of the blue, hesitatingly said to me the other day "I don't know what your thoughts are, but I was thinking we should get a Wii for Christmas."

SHOCKED!

This is the same woman who vocally expresses her annoyance when I'm in my office playing Quake, and the boys are in the kitchen playing Lego Universe. She hates video games.

A few weeks ago at some school carnival, one of the boys won 15mins on a Wii. She had no choice but to do it with him and told me later it was kind of fun.

So there you go.

But I find myself trying to decide which is the better game system to buy. Honestly, having to stand in front of my tv physically acting out the game sounds like it'd be tiring after a while and may put me off actually playing occasionally if I all I want to do is sit on the couch and frag some grunts.

So does anyone have any thoughts on the better game system? Or is it really all the same? Since my wife has played a Wii, and suggested a Wii I think I might be locked on this.

And no, I'm not getting a Kinext or whatever it's called. I'm not dealing with all that nonsense.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
What's your budget? At this point I'd recommend the PS3 with the Move bundle -- the hardware is better than the Wii and it looks like some decent games for it are on the way. The non-motion-control games are for the most part far superior on the PS3, and of course it plays Blu-Rays.

That said, the Wii is much cheaper.

What "nonsense" do you mean? If your wife enjoyed a motion control game, then she'll probably be disappointed if you buy a console that doesn't have it. Of course, the Move is basically a souped-up Wii system and Kinect is a bit different (you don't necessarily hold any controller in your hand). I'm not too familiar with the Kinect games so I can't really comment on them.

The final analysis when it comes to choosing a console is always this: Which games are the ones that you want to play? Get the console that has the most/ best of those.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Wii bundle with MotionPlus controller, nunchuk, and 2 games - $200

PS3 bundle with Move, EyeToy, and 1 game - $400

Xbox 360 bundle with Kinect and 1 game - $400

So you could buy a Wii, another 2 games, and a second Wii RemotePlus and nunchuk for the price of a PS3 or 360 bundle. In pure economics, the Wii would win.

Not all games for the Wii have you jumping around in front of your TV. New Super Mario Bros. Wii has you using the remote in place of an NES controller (holding it sideways and using it like an old controller) with only a little amount of motion control (shaking the remote a little or tilting it) sprinkled throughout the game. Some games have you using the remote as a pointer but not necessarily waving your arms all around.

You can also download older games to the Wii (none of which use motion control) as well as some new games that are smaller/cheaper than a full game (some of which DO use motion control).

I think that once you buy the Wii, you'll enjoy it more than you are expecting not to.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I don't have a budget in mind. This doesn't mean I'm going to buy an $800 bundle, but I'm not going to balk if I decide on XBox and then find out it costs $400.

The odds that my wife will ever pick up a controller and play with one of my kids is next to zero. Myself and the kids got hooked on Peggle a while back. An addictive game that, while it takes skill to master, it takes no skill to actually complete. We've been trying to get my wife to try it all summer and she flat out refuses because she hates video games.

While I enjoy blowing 45m after work playing Quake Live, or killing some waiting time playing Peggle, I wouldn't class myself as a video gamer. I might pick up Left4Dead or something for myself to play on occasion, but really this will be for the kids.

If the Wii can play older Nintendo system games then I think I might be leaning towards that. The peer pressure to play whatever mario game is the latest might mean more to the kids than if I think the PS3 is a better system. Plus if it gets them off the couch then that's not a bad thing.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Actually, the PS3 bundle includes the "Eye," not the "Eye Toy." I'm not sure what the difference is, but I believe I've seen games that say they need the Eye and won't work with the Eye Toy. (I have both, so I guess I should probably take a look.)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Good point Aaron. The EyeToy was the PS2 camera, the PSEye is the PS3 camera.

If you're buying something for the kids, then there could be an issue. First, the Wii is getting old. Sony and MS have both stated interest in considering this to be the halfway point for their consoles, whereas Nintendo is probably going to support the Wii for a while but still release it's successor sooner. The upside to the Wii's age is the number of cheaper, older games for it that you can buy right now. Second, the kids may want a Wii now, but if they have friends who have or are getting a PS3 or 360 then they might want those soon. Buying consoles is a slippery slope so don't be surprised if they become a perennial Christmas List item.

Also, just because your wife doesn't like Peggle doesn't mean she won't enjoy Wii Sports or something similar. I know many people who never played videogames before or thought little of them, then changed their minds when the Wii came out and wanted to get one.

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joe Bernardi
My wife, who never played video games, loves the Kinect for the Xbox. She's been having a lot of fun and getting a workout with the included Adventures game, Your Shape Fitness, and Dance Central programs.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Morgan Jolley

First, the Wii is getting old.

Good point. It seems to me all I ever hear about when video game discussion flys past my radar is PS3 or XBox. But all the Mom's discuss the Wii.

It seems to me that the PS3 or XBox are the better gaming systems, but the Wii is what everyone around us owns.

I'm a technical guy so I want a top notch gaming system if I'm going to be buying one. Wii's apparent lack of HD video is a strike against it, IMO. But at $200 it might make a good gateway and in a year or two we'd upgrade to something more advanced.

Kinect is an accessory to XBox? I was under the impression it was a new system. That might make XBox more favorable if Wii's attraction is the physicality of the games...

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Yep. Add-on accessory. The 360 is worth it for games like Red Dead Redemption, which you need to play. BUT, it's on the PS3 as well. I understand the PS3's version has some things cut back, like less vegetation and fewer remaining corpses, but millions of PS3 fans are enjoying it nonetheless. The PS3 has popular exclusives like Uncharted and God of War, and the 360 has Halo and maybe some others. I really don't own any exclusive for the system, so I'm not sure.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
For $200, the Wii comes with a remote, nunchuk, and 2 games. That's a pretty good deal, even if it's not the most technologically advanced console.

If your wife isn't into videogames but likes the Wii, then the PS3 and Xbox 360 won't sway her at all. The Move and Kinect are similar enough to the Wii's control scheme, but there's few games (and fewer good ones) out for the PS3 or 360 that use them. Every game for the Wii was designed with motion control as a possibility (though not all games use it). If your wife wants to get the kids up and moving, you either need to be content with one of the expensive game consoles and limited game options or getting a Wii.

Personally, I have all 3 consoles but play my PS3 the most. My 360 is broken (got it free from a friend) but works. My Wii doesn't get played much, but I have a bunch of games for it and I have played all of them. I already have like 20 some odd PS3 games, about 20 Wii games, and maybe 3 Xbox games. There's a ton of overlap between 360 and PS3, and while some games have benefits on one platform or another (graphics quality, exclusive DLC, etc.) they are more or less the same, and if they're not close enough then there's usually a patch that can fix that stuff. I prefer the PS3 exclusives to 360 (don't like the Halo games, Fable seems to be a consistent disappointment, albeit a good one, and nothing else seems that great or ends up on PS3 anyway) but your kids (especially if you have a son) will probably want to play Halo more than Uncharted.

smellissa

Auditioning
Real Name
Mellissa Smith
Well Frankly Saying Rather Than Wii I Would Like To Go For PS3 There Are Awesome Games Launched In PS3

Barhocker Hier finden Sie eine sehr große Auswahl an Internationaler Versand oder Abholung in Berlin.

JoeCool6972

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Turner
Aaron Silverman said:
Quote: Originally Posted by Morgan Jolley

True! Unless you love Mario or Pokemon... avoid Nintendo. Xbox and Playstation get all the best games. Always have since the PS1 and Xbox 1came out.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
I used to own a Wii, and eventually sold it because I really didn't play that much on it (that's a common heard complaint). Once the novelty of the controller is gone, there's not much to do. Unless you're planning to play Wii Tennis night after night.

I now own a PS3, and it's really a much better console. Better games, HD, and the option of actually using a controller.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
To be fair, there are some very cool Wii exclusives that don't involve Mario or Pokemon, like Real Heroes: Firefighter, Da Blob, Boom Blox, the Nerf shooting gallery games, Medal of Honor: Heroes 2, and others. You just need to do your due diligence before buying (more so than with a PS3 or X360).

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
Regarding the Wii...

It’s hard for me to believe that a system that has given us such a wealth of polished triple-A titles such as:

No More Heroes 1 and 2, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Trauma Team, Mario Kart Wii, Little King's Story, Monster Hunter Tri, Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Super Smash Bros.Brawl, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Metroid Prime 3, Boom Blox 1 and 2, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, the Bit.Trip series on WiiWare, and many others...

...would still be considered having “nothing to play”. I hear it all the time. But it's just not true. In some regard, based on your game preference, this list is just scratching the surface. Of course, you own opinions of these games might vary, but most critics agree this is a library worth owning.

The real problem is that there is so much shovelware for the system, mostly licensed or generic mini-game nonsense that you have to dig through in order to find the gems. The laziness with which these F-titles are developed, and the cynicism with which they are marketed and priced, is astounding. That said, I can’t relate at all to people who are not excited by a library that contains the kinds of classics I listed above. I have no doubt I will still be playing them in ten years.

As for Move and Kinect, I hope they succeed. The problem with motion controls has never been the hardware, but improper or lazy implementation (in some cases, choosing to implement unnecessarily). But the hard truth is there isn't much to play on either Move or Kinect right now, except a small handful of launch titles that have been in development for years. And not all of those are worth playing. I'd guess that "Dance Central", far and away the most lauded of the Kinect launch titles, won't see its equal until well into next year.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Well, I was all settled on the XBox w/ Kinect bundle but after discussing with my wife (rare time with no kids around) we decided the Wii would be better. It's cheaper (tho not a big deal), the kids are still very young (6 and 8) so advanced games aren't in their future yet, name recognition (a Wii they'll know. An XBox, maybe not), and Epic Mickey (wii only for now) along with it under the tree.

I figure this is a gateway machine - that is, in a few years we'll upgrade the the latest and greatest. Plus my wife has been discussing this with the other moms and they all love their Wii for the kids, and it's something the grandparents can play along with when they come over.

So I've ordered the Wii bundle with two games, 2nd remote, and Epic Mickey and we're good to go.

Thanks for the input everybody!

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Ah, you didn't mention your kids' ages. For 6 and 8 the Wii is a good choice.

(On the other hand, the PS3 version of Toy Story 3 might be the best kids' game ever. . .)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I have decided that the Wii will be my last console due to the lack of time and the lack of money (also, having two daughters means there's little chance I'll be bugged for the newest XBox or Playstation at Christmastime).

The games are simply too expensive, and the devs know that. So to make up for it, they try to stretch the game out as long as possible, usually through fetch quests and other artificial means of lengthening gameplay. I can't afford to pay $60 a game, and moreover, I can't afford to stay up until 5 in the morning leveling up.

I'm not that big into gaming on my phone, but it appears that the little enthusiasm and cash I have for gaming will be invested on mobile apps. I guess I'm at a point in my life where "pick up and play" is a necessity. As much as I loved it, I don't think I could finish Zelda:TP at this point in my life. Looking back, it's just too long and too complex for me to even contemplate playing again.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I've tried playing games on my phone, but they're all worthless (with the possible exception of the occasional puzzle or trivia game).

Of the dozens and dozens of PS3 and Wii games in my collection, I think you could count on one hand (maybe two) the number that I paid over $20 for. The GameStop Buy-2-Get-1-Free-Used-Games sales are like holidays for me. :)

Sometimes I have to force myself to not stay up until 5am though. . .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks