What's new

Wii Sports (Ups/Downs) (1 Viewer)

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
I'm surprised I didn't see an actual thread for the Wii Sports title, since it's included in the pack. If I missed it, whoops.

What do you like/don't like about Wii Sports? What would you change?

Personally, I love the games. I've spent more time over the last two days playing that then Madden. I don't have time for RPGs -- the only games I've ever been big fans of, were sports games. Having a set of games that are so interactive is awesome.

Some things I'd like to see or that I would change:
* Boxing - Add things like a championship belt. (Tell me you don't want a Punch Out! game for the Wii.)
* Baseball - I'm playing baseball, where's my baseball cap? Give me more stadiums, or a create a stadium.
* Golf - More courses. Maybe weather changes.
* Bowling - Disco bowling, bumper bowling, the gimmick night stuff for fun.
* Tennis - A random streaker like they have at Wimbledon (ha-ha).

I think they could release individual Wii Sports titles with more customization and they would sell.

Has anyone heard anything about updates? Either new discs, or better yet, online download updates?

Doug

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
The training mode that has the different mini-games are pretty cool.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Tennis - I want an advanced level that plays regular sets (win 6 games, unless tiebreakers are needed), and perhaps best 2 out of 3 sets (or even 3 out of 5 sets). I'd like a singles mode as well to make it more difficult in hitting balls in the singles area, no doubles alleys. The training mode is actually pretty decent in terms of getting your body in position to hit the target area (screen).

Baseball - I want 9 inning games, and no mercy rule (I did manage to score 16 runs in one game because I score none in the first, 4 in the second inning, and 12 in the 3rd inning, while shutting down the opposition.

Golf - I guess I'll have to pony up for Super Swing golf to get more courses, and a higher degree of difficulty. As a sampler, golf is okay for the 9 hole course (from a previous NES golf game, I believe). I wish it would really replicate a true golf swing (and not get into the red over-swing status).

Bowling - is actually okay as it is (the training bits for bowling can be challenging, but I'd like more difficult barrier placement). Nighttime bowling mode could be fun.

Boxing - not quite as interactively "true" in terms of swings made and what shows up on the screen, but I totally worked up a sweat as I took on about 10 challengers before I tuckered out as the competition got better, too. The training dodgeball segment is too funny, I was laughing from getting splattered by the trainer, but I got my revenge during the "hit the mit" training segment as I get hitting the trainer in the face, and he made some funny noises from the "wayward" punches.

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor

You would like the barrier placement to be more difficult!? I have a hard time getting past #9 on that event as it stands. I guess that I have just learned that I am not very good at the bowling.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I got through all the barriers for bowling (within 2 tries for the really difficult ones), though some of the last ones did require some creatively and skill in terms of curving the ball left or right while also aiming it to fit through the small gap they give you.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
I am surprised no one has mentioned new Wii games of old classics that would be great with the controllers. The Wii sports game most have said in the press was basically a demo disc to let you see the way the Wii can work. I'm sure there will be full fledged games of baseball, punch out, etc. coming down the road.

In terms of old games, maybe most of you are not old enough to remember, but think about all the great Commodore games. What I'm thinking of is a company that was called Epyx, whom made those addictive Summer and Winter Olympic games for the C-64. Nintendo should listen because Wii sports is one of the best party games young and old can play. Now, think if they did something like the Epyx games on the Wii. Summer Olympics could have: javlin toss, high-jump, disc toss, pole vault, cycling, etc. Winter games could have: cross country skiing, bob sleding, downhill ski jump, snowboarding, etc.

There are many games of old I can think of that would equal or exceed Wii sports. If they want to bring in the whole FAMILY, it's games like that the people want.

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
Doug, I know there is a Wii Play game coming out relatively soon. It has more sports games, such as ping pong and pool, and it is supposedly online capable (multi player perhaps)

Chris

Senior HTF Member

Pangya!

You have no idea how excited my kids were regarding the Wii when they realized Pangya! (Super Swing Golf) was coming to Wii. If it's as addictive as the online version, it's a slam-bang hit.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Even though Wii sports is a simple game, it still adds many hours of fun to it.
I love playing this thing endlessly

Track & Field a classic Nintendo game would be great for the wii.
Especially for javelin throw

But I REALLY REALLY hope Nintendo makes a minature golf Wii edition.
Either Nintendo characters or Mii characters you can add in.

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
So is it just me, or do the controls for Wii Boxing kind of stink.

I've been impressed with the responsiveness of the controls in many Wii games (although not thrilled with Super Monkey Ball); but Boxing just makes me feel like I'm having a stroke.

Is there some secret to this that I'm missing?

PS -- By the way, I love the doggone Wii. I've had more fun with this system than I have with any game for quite a long time.

Jimi C

Screenwriter
The fun did not last long for this game for me. The baseball inparticular. All you have to do is flick your wrist to throw a 97mph fast ball. In fact, just flicking my wrist is the only way I can do that, same goes for hitting home runs.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I would like the option to fool around when not worrying about score. I did throw a gutter ball in the lane next to mine, but knocking down pins in the next lane would be cool also. How about hitting the batter with the ball when pitching? During tennis, instead of the ball going through the opponent, let it bounce off his head. Boxing should have more facial expressions.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone played Wii Tennis enough to attain 2000+ skill level? I can't decide if Elisa and Sarah (the 2 ladies you'll be playing all the time once you get up in the 1800+ skill level) are getting more daring in their net play as time goes on. Sometimes you can forget about them at the net, but other times they'll surprise the heck out of you for a winner.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Yep! :D I'm at 2058. It helped that I played tennis during middle and high school, so I used some of my strategies from old times. I attack the net and try to hit the widest shots possible.

Now, more than ever, I want to play a full game of Wii Tennis. Give me 5 sets of play!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I got my tennis skill level up over 2400, but it's tough to maintain that sort of dominance (literally, you can't let the other team score even a point, or your skill level goes down).

There's nothing better than a well-executed drop-shot and having one of the opponents haul ass trying to return it before the second bounce, and skidding into failure.

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom

One of my best friends was a designer of those Epyx games. I sent him an email yesterday telling him that he should put a team together and do Wii versions.

I agree. It's a natural! And moving the Wii controllers up and down as fast as possible will be SO much better than the key mashing of the running events in the C64 versions. (I wonder how many c64 keyboards gave their lives for the sake of simulated Olympic competition?)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Can anyone here tell me how the hell you win at tennis? I'm not even at high skill level opponents and I just can seem to beat them. The only real ways I have for scoring is pulling off the super serve or getting a very occaisional lucky shot. But I have no reliable method of scoring. Also, is it just me or does the shot control in a real game seem to have very little resembalance to the training games?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Scoring depends on domination of the opponents. If you crush them by not allowing them to score, or have rallies, your skill level points go up when you win your match.

I'm at 2399, and it's virtually impossible to get to that last point for 2400 because I have yet to pull off the almost-impossible: 4 straight aces or service winners in one game.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, but how do you crush them in the first place. I have a higher skill level then my opponents but I still have a lot of trouble scoring. Unless, like I said, I can pull off the super serve or get a rare lucky shot that the opponents can't reach. I try several different shots, but can hardly get anything past them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks