What's new

Wii question and average age (1 Viewer)

Don.l

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don
I am very interested in a wii, but I have a concern that I'm sure many HT enthusiasts have. I am concerned about the Sensor Bar cable length. I plan on putting my Wii console in the back of the room with the rest of my AV equipment in my rack. The distance from the back of the room to the screen is about 30'. I wonder if they will ever make a Sensor Bar Extension cable? This would be of vitale importance to me. Anyone else facing this delima?

Other question for my own interest is, what do you think the average age of Wii owners will be? I'm thinking somewhere around 16 to 18 years. I am 36 and still love video games.

What do you all think?

Don

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Since Nintendo has such a high level of brand loyalty and their base user has grown-up with the different systems, I'm guessing their average consumer will be Gen-X & Yers, followed closely by teens & tweens. Since Nintendo is really aiming their console to the entire demographic spectrum, it's hard to tell where this one is going to fall.

Nintendo has a real chance to jump on Sony this holiday season, since there should be, at minimum, 4 Wiis for every Sony available (by the end of December, it should be more like 6 Wiis). At my local Gamestop, they are planning to direct interested Sony consumers who can't get their hands on a PS3 to the Wii. There's something to say about a budget console with convention-defying innovation.

Don.l

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don

I definitely fall in the gen X timeframe. I think a lot of gen Xers want to see the Wii do well as this is the system (along with Sega, and Atari) that I grew up with and took a big downfall with the GameCube.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i'm 28 and very interested in wii and ps3. i'll probably end up buying wii first, then ps3 later, but it depends on how sweet the gran turismo and gta games look.

CJ

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
The sensor bar needs to be placed directly under or above the display. An extentsion cable would throw everything completely off and create control issues.

I'm 30 and will have a Wii on launch day (or at least I hope too, since I wasn't able to pre-order on the 13th).

Paul Simmons

Stunt Coordinator
I plan on getting Wii but will probably wait until more colours arrives, which will be early next year (black anyone?). At that time more games should be available too.

I plan on grabbing a PS3 much later, after some price drops. Hopefully by then all the bugs will be worked out as well.

I'm 22 btw

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
I'm most excited about the Wii (I'm in my 30s). The PS3 is out of my price range, although I love the console's franchises, and quite frankly, I've heard too many horror stories about the XBox360's hardware to consider purchasing one right now, especially at its current price. If I even wanted to THINK about blinking LED errors and faulty power supplies and shipping my console around the country, I'd buy a PC.

I also cannot currently afford a hi-def display, so the graphical snazziness of the "big 2" are less interesting to me.

I think the software on the Wii will mirror the software on the DS, which means "kiddie" titles (including crappy licensed titles), but just enough great stuff to keep me interested.

The videos of the Wii in action really got me interested. It just looks classy and fun to play around with. Besides, I always wanted a GameCube, so this will allow me to go back and revisit the titles I missed. So you might say I'm the typical boomer-demographic for this thing. The retro console titles are neat too, but being around the emulation scene for a while this novelty has already played out for me.

Or I may wait until it comes down from $250 - maybe in a year or so. Nah, maybe I can't wait that long...

Ed B

Stunt Coordinator
I'm 40 and more than likely will not be getting a Wii until I'm sold on it (playing it at a friends house).

I've been a gamer since Space Invaders and Asteroids came out, have had Vic20, Commadore64, Sega Masters System, Genesis, N64, 3D0, PC games, PS2, and XBox. I'm currently borrowing an XBox 360 from a co-worker who is on a month vacation.

The 360 is an amazing piece of hardware, waving my arms around will not make up for the Audio/ HD Visual experiences of the 360, its amazing. My next console will be a 360 hands down, it has a 1 year head start on the other consoles, and XBox Live has a few years head start and its pretty awesome.

I will give it to Nintendo they have a console that will appeal to many people out there, it just doesnt do it for me now. Perhaps later down the road when I get tired of the 360.

Ed

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I'll second the 360. I was a diehard PS1/PS2 owner but switched to the 360 when it came out. I don't regret it one bit. It's a great system and I'll pass on the Wii and PS3.

The motion wand of the Wii just doesn't appeal to me. I also think Sony made a huge mistake with the new six-axis PS3 controller not having any vibration function. If I were planning on buying a PS3, no vibration feedback in the controller would be a deal-breaker. I just can't imagine playing Call of Duty or any driving game and not getting that feedback through the vibrating controller. What is Sony thinking?

BTW, I'm Gen-X (36).

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I guess I'm Gen-Y? I dunno.... I'm 28, so whatever. Anyway, my wife (also 28) and I are giving each other a full Wii kit for Christmas. We've preordered the system, three games, two extra controllers, and two virtual controllers. We're also opening it early, on November 19th :)

Justin1

Stunt Coordinator
The Wii will come with a 10 foot cord for the controller. Nintendo will not be making an extension for the cord, however, Pelican is currently making an extension and it should be 10-15 feet in length. Currently, they are expecting it to come out at launch or shortly thereafter.

CaseyL

Supporting Actor
I'm in the 25-30 yr old age demographic, and am counting down days for this system. It's the only system that has games that actually pique my interest, as well as the hardware and innovations to support. Nintendo has always had solid R&D and always comes out with a solid product. I think that if they are releasing the sensors, they have taken into account distances, and I wouldn't be concerned about their functionality.

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
I'm 21 and will be definently be getting the Wii on launch day (already got my pre-order).

I already own a X360 and really enjoy the games and XBLA. I am totally psyched for the Wii though because of it's innovative controller, the Virtual Console, and some the great Nintendo franchises like Zelda and Mario. I preordered Zelda w/ my Wii.

kuliddar

Agent
We will be getting a Wii as well at launch. Later we will be getting either a 360 or PS3....much later. What appeals to my wife and I the most is the virtual console which gives access to older games. I had the opportunity to play Wii Sports and Excite Truck. The sensor is very precise. Playing Tennis, Golf, Boxing, etc was a blast. I think you can partly kiss obesity goodbye cause after 3 rounds of boxing...holy crap...tired lol. I`m not that convinced about racing games though. I thought it was more annoying than anything to have to move your controller around. I know UBISOFT is coming with little steering wheels that you put the controllers in but it is yet determined that those will work for all racers (aka Need For Speed Carbon). However, I believe that the Wii will be the console of choice for shooters because of the sensor precision.

In all, I think that the console will live perfectly with the other consoles. Most people will get a Wii AND something else down the line wether it be a 360 or PS3.

Nickrh

Grip
Real Name
Nick H
Im almost 23 and have had every nintendo system nes on up besides a couple handhelds and for me no other games have the same feel as nintendo games like zelda, Mario, Animal Crossing ect Probably cause i grew up with them. Thats not to say i dislike other games i have an xbox 360 but the Wii will definatly be a second system for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks