1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Widescreen not full

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by EldridgeH, Jun 22, 2003.

1. EldridgeH

EldridgeH New Member

Hi,
    Very new to this and was wondering if I'm doing it wrong! I have a Hitachi widescreen 57swx20b (great set) and went to play my first movie dvd on it (using a progscan Denon unit) and the picture filled up the width but not the top and bottom. Had to use the aspect button to fill with ZOOM and it cut out much of the picture. I thought a wide-screen filled the entire picture screen thus preventing burn marks (black bands at the top and bottom in this case). Anyone have any advice? Thanks, Eldridge [​IMG]

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Well-Known Member

3. BrianEK

BrianEK Well-Known Member

Congradulations on buying one of the best sets out there. The reason you have black lines on the screen is because the movie was filmed wider than the tv. new widescreen tv's are 16x9 aspect ratio which new HDTV will be formatted to fit the screen. But the movie industry has no standard in format size. it's really up to the director of the movie. Some movies will fit perfect to your tv and some won't. look on the back of the dvd case and you will see numbers like 2.35.1 this refers to the aspect ratio of the movie. if you want the movie to fit the screen perfectly, look for the number 1.85.1, this really means 16x9 which is what your tv is.