What's new

Wicker Man DVD (1 Viewer)

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
All I can say is, if you do get the LE set, watch the theatrical release FIRST. This is the way almost everybody knows WM, the only way they know it, and the way that built its large cult following (least it has one in the UK). THEN watch the "other" version. As I have said before, I do appreciate editors, more is not necessarily better, a good editor can totally change everything about a film and is part of its artistic vision...like, that's what they do, as important as the director etc. in making a film GOOD. Too many films these days and too many of the viewers seem to think more is always better...bring on the vomitoriums...

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
The extended edition footage comes from Roger Corman's 1" videotape master used to make the (out-of-print) domestic VHS release from Media Home Entertainment. The cover included poster art for the US release. That version was my first exposure to the film, not the edited version.

The most important things that the extended cut sets up are relative to Sgt. Howie (Edward Woodward). His devout religious upbringing is brought forward early on (including his virginity, which is central to the film's conclusion), and the reason for his trip to Summerisle is not so abrupt, as the 'con' begins in earnest with the letter sent to the police station (an odd way to report a missing person).

As pointed out in the documentary, legend has it that all the film's raw materials were carelessly dumped as filler for the M1 motorway.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
All,

Thanks I appreciate the suggestions and opinions on the film as well. I can sympathize with you, CraigF, as I seem to be one of the few people that prefers the theatrical cut of Aliens to the director's cut, for example. Indeed, more is not necessarily better.

Is the LE box worth it for the first-time viewer? Personally, I don't care for ABE "tins", but I wouldn't want to not decide my purchase of it based solely on the package either.

Thanks.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Yes, but all those things the "extended" cut makes really obvious are made apparent in a more "suspenseful" way in the theatrical cut, thus helping give the movie its thinking man's horror movie cachet (and not that Britt Ekland hurt either, very popular then in the UK).

I have no idea how most people in NA got introduced to the movie, but I'd say most J6P still have not heard of it. Renting VHS tapes was not common in the UK in '74 (if it was even done at all then, or even NA for that matter), and it was possible in many towns to see movies in theaters (even on the High St., the "biggies") that were a few years old, if they were popular.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Will you take the time to compare the two?
The extra footage fills out some story points, but is not
critical for the overall plot.
I have and I prefer the extended cut for reasons outside of what has already been pointed out....but nonetheless the "extended" cut is the original cut of the film that the director finalized, the theatrical cut was done by someone else's hand entirely. In the documentary on the theatrical disc the outrageous outside editing (well, outside of the original filmmakers wishes) and subsequent pathetic loss of the cut scenes is detailed, and even the man they hired to do the actual cutting (the original editor I think) was not happy about doing the job, I say go with the "extended" cut as it truly is the original director intended cut.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
I'd really like to re-edit The Wicker Man myself, because neither of the versions on DVD are wholly satisfying.

In the extended version, you have to put up with the clunkiest prologue ever, that seems like a studio-ordered reshoot just to MAKE EVERYTHING CRYSTAL-CLEAR. Of course, all these details about Howie's beliefs and his mission are made perfectly clear in the shorter cut, but in a far more intriguing piecemeal fashion. I also don't like some of the additions (such as when he reads up about pagan rituals in the library and the brief scene where he consults the doctor) that give away the game much too early.

However, it does contain the full-length versions of several songs, as well as the crucial Gently Johnny sequence and a couple of other nice bits and pieces.

R-T-C Tim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Young
Just a note, there is a new UK release of this film due on 4th September.
It includes a previously unreleased on DVD, 50 minute British TV documentary, plus an OST CD, but appears to lack the Christopher Lee interview or audio commentary video clip. I expect the print will be the same as the WB release.
More info + cover-art at http://www.mondo-esoterica.net/upcom...03%20disc.html

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I went back recently to view the boxed version only to discover the disc had rotted. :frowning:

Howard S

Stunt Coordinator
Just bought the new 3-disc Collector's Edition, and must say I'm disappointed with the picture quality of the short version. Given that this is supposedly a Collector's Edition, shame that we weren't treated to a new video transfer. Has the look of a transfer done many years ago.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
are we talking of the new US ANCHOR BAY edition (September 06?)
has the image been improved?

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
Christopher Lee did say in an interview that more was shot for the film and the footage was lost. So I always hope for deleted scenes one of these days.

M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mate
Bill McA said:
movie more 'mysterious'... :D
:D LOL :D
I can't stop laughing... brilliant. ;)
I don't know if I have the best possible edition, but I'm very pleased with my Warner 2-disc 2004 R2 release. It's the only DVD I bought without watching the film before. And - of course - I didn't regret it.
I bought it a year ago because I was interested in Iron Maiden's song "The Wicker Man". (You may find interesting the fact that 90% of Maiden songs are based on films.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks