What's new

Wi-Fi or Powerline? (1 Viewer)

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Foolishly thinking since just the signal needs to go through the power line, compatability with a computer is irrelevant. I'm clearly wrong, so I'll let that one drop.

As to wanting to go with Monster, it's simply because I can't find another power line group that is Mac compatible. I know Netgear is not, for example, at least in their specifications.

If someone knows something I don't, please speak up.

Oh and yes, I invested 25 dollars into a Sony 4G Memory Drive to do firmware updates for now and to be on standby for eventual use in other ways with the Blu-Ray. Meantime, just keep collecting info to make the most informed purchasing decision possible in the future.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Computer compatibility shouldn't be an issue. You don't even need a computer to setup the Netgear powerline adapters. I have a D-Link router that is my main access point connected to one and the other is in the office where it is connected to an Apple TimeCapsule. I have multiple computers using the wired ports of the TC without any problems.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Originally Posted by MattPeriolat ".

As DavidJ notes, the only thing about Netgear that isn't Mac-compatible is the configuration software, which is Windows-based. However, in the entire time I've had my units, I have never once had to change the configuration settings. They're plug-and-play.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
As others have stated, there should be no Mac compatibility issues using a Netgear power adapter vs. the Monster brand. Ethernet is a universal standard -- there is no "Mac version" of ethernet. The only possible compatibility issue would be if there is a specific Windows-only configuration/setup program that had to be used with the adapters. However, most consumer networking gear these days uses a browser interface directly to the device, so this shouldn't be an issue.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I can attest to the fact that the Netgear works with Mac just fine. There is no software to install on your computer whether it is a PC or Mac. The Netgear is plugged into your electrical outlet. It has an ethernet connection. You connect an ethernet cable from the Netgear to the ethernet on your computer or router. Then you take the other Netgear unit and plug it into another electrical outlet anywhere in your house. You plug an ethernet cable into that unit and the other end of the cable into the device you want connected (another computer, X Box, Tivo, etc.) and you now have a connection between the two Netgear units. Security is 128bit and with the unit I have has a transfer rate up to 200 M/S.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
If I'm laughing, it's between the tears at this point.

Got the Sony JumpDrive today and was all set to download the firmware update.

That's when problem #1 cropped up - you need a CD-R, not a drive for the update. No trouble, have plenty of those.

Problem #2 - If you have a Mac, you're in trouble. Sony download updates only work with Windows software, not Macs.

So after all that, I ended up ordering an update disc from Sony which will take about two weeks to get here. On the other hand, I have the ClickDrive in the back of my Blu-Ray for eventual networking.

I'm taking another look at NetGear, based off of the recommendations here and the assurances there will be no compatability issues. I'm already looking at about 50 dollars for the router (I think it was a Linksys that I was looking at), so if I can get the costs down for the power line, so much the better.

I have family members already mad at me for even thinking about this, with one swearing up and down she never would have gotten me the Blu-Ray player if it would have required all the additional effort.

chuckg

Supporting Actor
I needed a wireless router to operate a Mac laptop for a presentation at work, picked one up at the local wally mart for $30 and it worked perfectly. I used the exact same wireless router at my folks house - they had a DSL connection with a stand-alone modem that had only one port. Hooked the 4-port + wireless router to their DSL modem, hooked their computer into one of the router ports, and happily worked on my laptop in the den.

Cheap wireless router - the answer to the whole pickle. I carry it everywhere now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks