What's new

Why won't my HH resonator work...? (1 Viewer)

Dennis B

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
I've built a Helmholtz resonator according to ETF's calculations, have placed it in the appropriate corner, but I can neither feel nor measure (with ETF) any effect at all. It seems to be 'dead'. :frowning:
My feeling is that while the math in the program works, the dimensions I've used are too extreme, leading to a very high theoretical Q (?). Please advise.
Dimensions of the completed unit:
Tube diameter = 12"
Tube height = 23"
Duct diameter = 2"
Frequency = 30 hz
Calculated duct length = 4.5"
Calculated Q (theoretical) = 895...
Thanks,
Dennis

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I was under the impression that adding a single resonator wouldn'd do much. At least compared to say 2 stacked resonators in each edge of the back wall. Or a resonator in each of the corners of the room.

So is 30hz the frequency you wish to absorb? Do you have a link on more info about the resonator?

Dennis B

Stunt Coordinator
Chris,
Thanks. Yes, 30 is one of them. The resonator's dimensions were designed by ETF's built-in calculator. See Link Removed for the program, but I don't remeber if their page actually shows this part of the software. They have a free demo version that you may want to download to try out.
But I don't have to stick to that formula, if you could point me towards a different approach I'd appreciate. I was trying to understand why the one I built didn't work... :frowning:

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Could you post your room dimensions or better yet, and subwoofer location/mic location? I'm just wondering if you have approx a 20 foot wide room? If you did then it would make sense to have a 30hz room mode.

I'm also wondering how an HH at 30hz would work when most of the DIY ones I've read about are effective at 80hz and above.

So do you have a noticeable spike or dip in the 30hz region that needs fixing?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks