What's new

Why The Term "Joe 6 Pack" Must stop being used (1 Viewer)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I've quit using "joe 6-pack". However, it's only because joe is a really thirsty guy and in my book he's now "joe 12-pack"....;)

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor
Sorry guys, but I'm afraid I'm from the school that thinks that people who worry about things like somebody being described as "Joe Six-Pack" don't have enough to worry about in their life.

About all we need in this world is one more "politically correct" thing to worry about. If someone doesn't like be thought of as a J6P, let them rise above it. All it takes in an open mind and a desire to expand it.

Deane

M

MaxY

Well, I sure hope you all are more kind to them when you run into them in the aisles at your favorite DVD store. Who knows, you might even find out that you like some of these people.

As for making this out to be some sort of PC type sanatation of the subject, that is so far off why I would like to do it.

What I want is the use the power of all the people in the forum to go out there and fight the good fight and do it in a friendly way to stop us from being labeled as the widescreen elitest snobs that are not very nice to have around.

If you can't convert them, then please don't leave them talking poor of us as a group.

Max

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
My only fear in not using "J6P" is that we may once more fall victim to the well intentioned PC-patrol. I know that the term can be used in an overly patronizing way, but to me we also may end up neutering and qualifying every thought after awhile so as not to offend our human sensibilities. ZZZZZZZZ. It's a delicate line I know, but the term has its use if not used in a deliberately malicious manner.
"Political Correctness is the death of humor." -- Mel Brooks
:)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
------------------------------------------------------------

If you talk to people that are not huge-enthusisats yet and you ask them about the widescreen VS Full Frame debate and they know anything at all they know the widescreeners to be a rabid almost insane bunch of people. I am not saying we are all that way but enough that people are seeing us that way.

I think "widescreeners", as you called them, have reason to worry and be more vocal. Letterbox releases of movies have always been more of a niche market. An affordable format finally arrives where letterbox or "widescreen" actually becomes more of the rule rather than the exception. The "mainstreaming" of DVD is now threatening to see those gains reversed. I think "widescreeners" have reason to be "insane" when it comes to defending their position that all releases be in their OAR. Judging by the latest actions by some studios to release P&S only product, if "widescreeners" don't remain vocal about their consumer desires they will quickly find themselves once again relegated to the backwater.

"J6P" has a blue collar connotation. The only problem I have with the "J6P" designation is its connotation that blue collar workers are all a bunch of stupid rednecks unable to adapt to the times. That is the only reason why I would like to see its use decline on this forum. Most people on this forum seem to be students or white collar workers. Would they like it if people were always referring to them as "J2S" (Joe 2 Semester) or "JCD" (Joe Cube Dweller)?

I originally added this to my other post but have decided to put it here instead.

KevinJ

Supporting Actor
once widescreen becomes the rule [hdtv] instead of the exception[ntsc] the term j6p will cease to exist

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
once widescreen becomes the rule [hdtv] instead of the exception[ntsc] the term j6p will cease to exist

This might not be the case. As pointed out earlier in this thread new complaints will arise with HDTV sets. The biggest complaint will be "what is with the vertical gray(black) bars on old TV shows/movies?!" I know a guy who has a 4:3 HDTV ready set and his complaint is " I really don't like those black bars on movies". If HDTV eventually supplants NTSC then the complaint will still be "what's with the black bars on movies AND t.v?!"

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member

No, it won't. The term has been used ever since the six pack was invented. We're all a J6P in relation to our interest in something.

ex: I have no clue as to what a good piece of art is in terms of characteristics, techniques, style, etc. (sculpture/paintings) I only know what pleases me.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I agree with you Max, at least in general (I didn't read everything closely). I don't like the "J6P" label, and don't use it.
But I don't dislike it for fear of insulting someone else; rather, I dislike it for what it does to me. To borrow a quote, "But what comes out of the mouth proceeds from the heart, and this defiles a man."
When I first joined HTF, I had never seen the phrase "J6P" before. (I thought it was a rocket fuel at first :b) But it was soon obvious that it was a derogatory term, implying a déclassé person of questionable intellect.
I adopted it for a while, but eventually quit. I decided I didn't want to be using that terminology, since it was rarely neutral, much less positive, and connotated a negative stereotype.
The majority of times I've seen it used, it's been an insult. I try to avoid using vulgar language since it ultimately will tear me down, even if no one else is offended by it.
(That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it :))
So, Max, I agree. "J6P" is not helpful, and we'd be better off without it. I'd prefer "John Q. Public" is a broad label is needed. Or mix it up a bit: Joe Six-Pack (J6P), Scott Scotch (SS), Ron Coke-and-Rum (RCaR), Jane Boxwine (JBW), Al Ale (AA), Chris Hard-Cider (CHC), Cindy Sex-on-the-Beach (CSotB), Frank Fuzzy-Navel (FFN), and Mark Moonshine (MM), to make up a handfull.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Joe Six-Pack: A person unwilling to think, unwilling to learn, or do anything other than coast through life on the status quo.

That is my definition, and it applies to all areas of life.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Basically, if you call them anything other than "THE PEOPLE THAT DONT`T LIKE THE BLACK BARS THAT TAKE UP SPACE ON THEIR TELEVISION WHEN THEY ARE WATCHING A MOVIE" it's insulting.

Example:

TPTDLTBBTTUSOTTTWTAWAM is happy that The Adventures of Winnie the Pooh doesn't have those annoying black bars.

TPWDLTBBTTUPSTTWTAWAM complained to the Blockbuster clerk about the black bars on their rental copy of Cannonball Run.

DarrenA

Second Unit
It's not the name, it's how the name is used isn't it? I mean if everyone on the forum quit using Joe Six-Pack, then they would simply replace it with terms like Joe Blow, Joe Schmo, John Q. Public, and for the Brits reading this forum they'll get a kick out of this one...Johnny Lunch Box.

In all seriousness, I think Max's intentions are all good in wanting to keep a civil tone. However, as we all know hot and heated debates can quickly ignite into something much more flammable.

Are we really focusing on the right problem here? Is it truly this word "Joe Six-Pack" that is used widely across the Internet that is causing so much friction? Or rather is it the manner (or lack of manners in this case) that certain members are portraying that is really at issue here?

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
People complaining about political correctness are missing the point entirely. It's not about political correctness at all. It's about the best method of getting one's point across, and insulting the people you're trying to educate is not the best method. It only further insulates and isolates pro-OAR people, and it therefore hurts the pro-OAR cause. Flies, honey, vinegar, and all that. We'll never change the mind of anyone who we call, as Sean Bryan would have us do, a jackass.

If the mission is to insult others and isolate our cause, then I guess it's great. However, if the goal is truly to get us to live in an all-OAR world, insults won't bring us there. It's not about politcal correctness. It's about knowing how to fight a battle.

DJ

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
I honestly don't get it. If someone were go call me Joe Six-pack and thus insinuating I was ignorant on a particular subject, I would spend my time trying to find out why they thought I was ignoarant instead of insisting they call me something else.
Do we actually know anybody that feels insulted?
If we don't know anybody that has specifically not posted because of the term "joe 6 pack", then why put all our energy into an issue that may not even exist?
And quite frankly, I don't really see the term itself being insulting, its more like the meaning behind the term. No matter what term we decide to use, it will still mean "the average guy that does not know the difference between MAR and OAR and prefers to watch MAR without wanting to know the difference". People these days get so offended when they are told they don't know something. Its like "OMG, I dont know something!? You just offended me!". They (assuming there even is a "they") would be equally offended if we just called them "the people that don't want to know about OAR" because that, in some way, implies they are inferior. :rolleyes

Chas_Michael

Second Unit
How about dropping the SIX-Pack and just use the word "Joes" like he's a regular "Joe" a regular guy not enlightened to the wonders of OAR. I always disliked the added SIX-PACK term.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
How about we just go with "Joe-MAR" (and "Jane-MAR") instead?
Definition: "The everyday Joe's (and Jane's), who probably aren't Home Theater enthusiasts like HTF members are, who watch Modified Aspect Ratio (the "Made-for-TV Version" of a film, instead of the "Theater Version"), out of preferance, ignorance, or any other ...ance".
Howzat? :) If I were one of these people, it would be hard for me to be offended by a term that is simply a description of what my preference is.
However, if HTF adopts this, or any term, and starts using it with derision, it will have the same effect: proving to the OAR-uninformed that we are a bunch of snobs who look down on them for their current viewing habits. And, again, I say that if we demonstrate to them that we "hate" them for their current viewing habits, then we have zero chance of educating them about widescreen and changing their viewing habits to match ours.
In fact, we may have made a powerful enemy out of anyone who originally came here to LEARN about OAR. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks