What's new

Why the high price for Dick Van Dyke Sets? (1 Viewer)

Ollie

Stunt Coordinator
I'm new to this forum, so bear with me if this question has been asked before.

I'm wondering if anyone can give me any insight as to why the Dick Van Dyke Show Season Sets are SOOOO much more expensive than ANY of the other sitcoms sets. Even at discount web sites I've gone to they're priced in the low $50's to high$40's. Was there some extra cost involved in making these DVD sets that resulted in the $69.99 MSRP price tag? I don't know of any other 30 minute sitcom sets that even come close to that price. Insights appreciated...thanks

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
Well, for one thing, you're getting more bonus features and more episodes (30+ episodes in comparison to regularly 22-24 episodes). Also, it's not the only sitcom with prices in that range. I Love Lucy comes in that same range, I believe.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Elijah, I think your logic there is flawed. Bonus features should NOT be a factor in driving up prices on certain TV DVD sets. Who cares about commentary on a DVD set? I don't. I don't think there's one single person who is registered on here who buys a TV Show on DVD just to listen to the commentary.

Everyone here who buys a Television Series on DVD buys it for the best reason of all, to watch xXXx show and the episodes that we enjoy. The only reason why I buy certain television shows on DVD, especially some of the older ones, is because I enjoy watching these shows on DVD.

Everyone here buys a certain series on DVD for one reason or another but the biggest reason of all is to watch these episodes for whatever series we're interested in. I don't think I've ever listened to any of the comentaries on anay DVD that I've watched. I buy and watch DVD's to be entertained NOT to listen some idiotic director or producer praddle on because he's ini love with the sound of his own voice.

[enough chit-chat]

I think one of the reasons was because the first few seasons had a lot of episodes attached to them and the fact that the DVD show was one of the earlier shows to come out when TV Shows on DVD were first introduced. X-Files went through the similar stage as well as we saw a huge price drop from $149.99 down to $99.99 then down to $44.95 with new and better packaging.

Ollie

Stunt Coordinator
The fact that it was one of the first releases makes some sense to me. As for the number of episodes, I have season sets of Bewitched, and Andy Griffith Show all of which contain 30+ shows, and which are from the same time period (60's sitcoms) which I bought brand new in the high $20's. I also have the Doris Day show which is from the same era, but fewer episodes also priced in the high $20's.

I bought Dick Van Dyke Season 1, USED but in mint condition for $29.99 (more than I've paid for several NEW sets I own). I would love to own the remainder of the series, but just don't want to shell out that much money per set.

Based on the X-files comment, perhaps there's hope that the price will drop in the future.

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
It's because Image knew the show would not sell at a level with a contemporary show, so they priced it in such a way that they could make their money back despite selling fewer units. Fair enough.

Mike*SC

Second Unit
Whether you personally enjoy extras or not, they do cost money to produce. Of course nobody buys a DVD set "just" for the extras, but it has on occasion been the extras that pushed me to buy something I was somewhat ambivalent about actually springing for.

I've listened to many commentaries on DVDs (for episodic television, I've listened to "Dick Van Dyke," "Mary Tyler Moore," "Bob Newhart Show," "Seinfeld," and "The Simpsons"), and though some are tedious, they're often very interesting and entertaining, and I'd hardly call the people who made the shows I enjoy "idiotic."

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
Okay, Mark, since you can't see how the plethora of bonus features would factor in to the higher price of the Dick Van Dyke sets, how about the fact that they're licensed to a third party? Image Entertainment releases the sets, not a major studio. They would need to make a profit on the series in order to justify whatever expense is made by getting the rights to the episodes in the first place. In addition, it's not just a few commentaries in bonus features. There is a ton of archival footage and new material, moreso than even most new shows get, let alone older shows (the only show that really rivals it in sitcoms is I Love Lucy, which isn't all that low itself).

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

But The Dick Van Dyke Show really wasn't "one of the first" TV/DVD boxed sets released. Far from it. Seasons 1 and 2 came out in October 2003. With the follow-up seasonal sets released throughout early and mid-2004. Certainly not the "earliest" of the earliest to be sure.

But, even with a higher price tag, fans of Dick, Mary, Rosie, and Morey, et al, are depriving themselves of 158 episodes of one of the greatest TV shows in the history of the medium if they don't take advantage of grabbing ahold of those 5 seasonal sets (or one great-big five-season Mega-Pack) while these babies are still in print (which will hopefully be for several more years to come).

That Amazon take-home price -- though quite a bit higher than where it was a few months ago (when they had it for $175) -- still only amounts to $45 per season, or $1.42 per episode. :emoji_thumbsup: (Can't even buy one gallon of gas for that anymore.) :)

Plus, you can save an additional $3.53 via the proverbial "A9 Discount" (if you use the "A9" Search Engine featured on the Amazon site on a regular basis, you'll qualify for the discount automatically). Not exactly an Earth-shaking discount, but every little bit helps, as they say. ;)

For $1.42 a show, who would refuse to spend that paltry amount to see this fetching matron in virtually every episode (and, offhand, I cannot think of one single episode where Laura/MTM does not appear on camera)? ....... :) :D

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/...1&d=1128900796

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=186778

http://dvdondvd.com/allfive.jpg

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB

Well, if entertainment is all you're seeking from your DVD collection, great. Some of us respect film (and TV) enough to delve deeper, to study the history, to learn from the creators. A well-done commentary track is like a film school lecture, and that's an extra I'll happily pay a few extra bucks for.

The DVDS of FANTASIA, PETER PAN and SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARFS feature archival footage of Walt Disney himself incorporated into their commentary tracks. This isn't valuable?

In the case of Image's THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW (as well as their excellent TWILIGHT ZONE sets), the elevated price also reflects careful mastering from the original camera negatives, which ain't cheap. As above, I'm happy to pay extra for top notch quality. Image has done wonders with both series, and should be commended. Take your thread-crapping elsewhere, Mark.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
The sets are absolutely outstanding - one of the best entries in TV on DVD. Though I'd rather they be less expensive, they were worth the $$$.

I think it mostly comes down to licensing costs. The rumored retail price before Image licensed these was more than double what they are now, if I recall.

-Scott

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Ollie,

These are great sets and worth the money. I was able to score most of these for under $30 by buying some via the 20% DDD sale and other sales. Sam's Club and Costco occasionally sold these also for very good prices.

As others have said, the high prices were likely due to these being released via a non major distributor who wouldn't be selling as many of these as what a major would. Also, some major money had have to have been spent on restoring and transferring the prints. For the most part, the image quality is excellent.

My only complaint about this set is the lack of subtitles although I understand that Image probably couldn't afford these for 158 episodes.

By the way, welcome to HTF.

Steve

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Ollie,

I agree with most posts here. I bought the mega-set and, to me, it's a good bargain. I guess it depends on how much someone wants a particular series added to their collection. For this series, it was an easy choice for me. Image did an outstanding job with this set, as they have done with the Twilight Zone and Combat! series, IMO. While I don't buy a set for the "extras", I consider it a bonus if they are included in a particular set. For some here, the interviews, etc, are more important to them than to some others here. I don't mind paying extra for a set if it contains bonus material, since I realize there are collectors out there that consider them more important than myself.

"Ditto" on Steve's welcome to HTF. "You'll like it here" :D

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
$60 for over 15 hours of such consistent quality classic entertainment is an absolute steal. If there's any TV sitcom that's worth what's being charged for it, it's The Dick Van Dyke Show. Everything about these season sets is wonderful. Beautiful uncut transfers, participation from most of the surviving cast and crew, original commercial spots, entire episodes of other shows with relationships to this one, brilliant vintage TV set packaging, and, out of all 158 episodes, there are only two out-and-out losers ("The Twizzle" and "The Bad Old Days"). All the rest are very-good-to-absolutely-fantastic. I've picked up all five season sets, watched them all over the course of a few months, a few episodes a night, and was extremely sad when I had no unfamiliar episodes to watch. Nearly every new-to-me episode was like opening a treasure box.

OK, I'll quit gushing now. :)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
What Jeffrey said. :)

And while I fully respect Jeffrey's classification of "The Twizzle" as a "loser", I have even grown fond of that episode since the DVD release of it hit the streets (and my Panasonic). :)

Egads...how can any show be deemed a "loser" when such imagery as this accompanies it? :) :D ......

Ollie

Stunt Coordinator
Forum Members, Thanks for all the insight and perspective on my question. Again, being new to the whole TV on DVD pheneomenon, I didn't understand about major studio release VS. third party distributor, restoration costs etc. Now I understand I bit better why the cost difference between these and other sets.

STEVE O, pardon my ignorance, but can you clue me in as to what the 20% DDD sale is?

I DID go to the samsclub website, and was QUITE pleased to find that they have each of the individual season sets priced between, $36-$39 BRAND NEW. The mega set is $152 which only averages out to just over $30 per season!

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
These dvds are uncut, with no music replacement, OAR and look great. Plus, it's the best sitcom ever made. That all makes it well worth the price, whereas other, cheaper tv shows on dvd, aren't worth 2 cents, cause either they've got syndicated episodes, music replacement, faux widescreen or are just a bad show to begin with.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Let me add a little "amen" to what others here have said. I think Image set the bar very high with this release. It is worth every penny. I paid the higher price for each set as it was released (over $50), so if you can get them for around $40, jump on it. It truly is one of, if not the absolute best, sitcom of all time!

Gary "btw, the 'DDD' (stands for Deep Discount DVD) 20% off sale is a semi-annual 7 to 10 day sale that should take place again in June - if they continue having it - where you can take an additional 20% off the already low prices DDD offers. It often means you can get dvds at literally half off the retail price" O.

Ollie

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for cluing me in about Deep Discount DVD. I just went to their website and they have some really great prices, though they can't beat the Sam's Club price for the Dick Van Dyke series.

I REALLY like the fact that they offer free shipping without requiring the $25 minimum purchase. They have the best price I've found online for the Andy Griffith Show, Season 2.

Before I order from them, for those of you who've shopped there before have you found them to be pretty reliable compared to other online retailers when it comes to customer service, shipping turnaround time, etc. I've mostly bought from Buy.Com, Amazon, and occasionally Overstock.com.

Also, has their semi-annual sale been a pretty regular event? I had several planned purchases for February/March/April(Gimme A Break, Andy Griffith S5, Moonlighting S3, Cosby Show S2, I Dream of Jeannie S1, Bewitched S3, Bob Newhart S3). I am now wondering if it is worthwhile to wait until June to get an extra 20% off.

Insight appreciated...thanks!

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Ollie, I imagine you will get different opinions from different posters here, but I'll give you mine. I've ordered consistently from DDD for over 5 years now and always found them to be very reliable. I've never had a problem that I couldn't resolve with one simple phone call to their customer service.

Having said that, it's important to note that their free shipping seems very slow to me (generally anywhere from 7 to 14 days delivery time). IMHO, if you are making a big order, it's better to upgrade to the 1st Class shipping for just $5.00 more. That way you get the items within 4 to 5 days. But if it's something you don't mind waiting on, then go for the free shipping.

The packing seems fine to me, and I've only had one cracked dvd in 5 years, which was replaced without any problem.

As far as the 20% DDD Sale, it has been going for the last several years, and they seem to have settled in on June and November as the months when the sale takes place. My guess is that they will continue to have the sale, so if the shows you listed are not priorities and you can wait a little longer for them, then wait until June and you will definitely save some money. It's really up to you. For instance, I love TAGS so waiting till June for that 5th season is not an option for me. I'll be buying that when it comes out. But on the other hand, I'm more than willing to wait a few months for "I Dream of Jeannie" and "Cosby Show". So it just depends on your personal preferences.

Gary "if you buy alot of TV on DVD, then the sale can make a big difference in the wallet" O.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Ollie,

I also use DDD but it's my secondary outlet to Amazon. The main reaons that I switched to Amazon as my primary outlet is:
- Amazon's prices on new releases are as good or sometimes lower than DDD's. DDD's prices are usually lower for already-released DVD's.
- The free shipping method from Amazon is, in my case, as fast as the priority method. I'm not sure why, but I like it :D Plus, I almost always order more than $25.00 TV/DVD's on an order, so I always qualify for their free shipping.

I still use DDD but not as much as I used to. I will say that DDD has improved their "search" engine at the site and their auto e-mail notifications, which used to have problems. The one question that I have about DDD is their return/exchange policy. Has anyone here had to return a purchase for exchange when the purchase date was older than 30 days? I haven't had to "test" this with DDD, but Amazon has accepted my exchange requests each time I have had to use it, regardless of the purchase date. That, to me, counts a lot toward Amazon. Plus, I like the easy printout return-label free postage feature at Amazon. DDD may have this as well but I haven't checked on their exchange mechanics recently.

I'll definitely shop at DDD this June :D

- Jeff "Amazon 1st, DDD 2nd, except for June" W.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks