What's new

Why the Fear Over Buying Used DVDs? (1 Viewer)

StephanieC

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, I had no idea there would be such staunch anti-used people here! I guess they don't get to experience the joy of thrift or vintage clothes shopping or used bookshops either. That's too bad.

I have bought a many number of my discs used, because I love a good deal. Where I buy them I get a 90 day or lifetime guarntee so I can return them if they are defective. I do buy my favorite movies, ones I know I'll watch a lot of times, new. But with movies I'm not too familiar with, used discs have been great. I've seen a lot more movies than I would have getting them all new.

Though now I'm just buying (new) stuff I MUST have and will rewatch an infinite amount of times, and Netflixing the rest. Certain people shouldn't be so snooty about used discs, that's just silly. It's absolutely fine to not want to buy any, but it dosen't mean people who don't mind it are lesser in any way.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
QUOTE]I do count Buffy as 6 DVDs even though it's 1 show.[/quote]

It's amazing to me that people could get into an argument over the size of their collections or what get's 'counted'.

I have the exact opposite problem...

All my friends and family own the same 5 movies (American Pie, Days of Thunder, Jurassic Park, The Mummy, and Grease).

This is a slight exaggeration, but most people aren't that serious about owning movies.

If you are fortunate enough to have DVD enthusiast in your midst, maybe you should count your blessings.

If I had another collector in my circle of relations, I might be able to buy less (used or new) and trade/loan more.

VinhT

Second Unit
An outstanding thread. :emoji_thumbsup:

I try to purchase DVDs at Wal-Mart, so it's almost like getting new DVDs for used prices. :D I am not adversed to buying used DVDs, I just do not often happen to visit shops that sell them.

Jason_H

Second Unit
I think a mandatory viewing of Fight Club is in order for some of you. ;)

"You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your fucking khakis." :D

MartinTeller

Screenwriter

I don't think it's about being better necessarily. I just don't get competitive over how much money I have, or how much people THINK I have. If anything, I'm far more likely to get competitive over how much I SAVE. Typical conversation between me and a friend:

"Did you get [insert recently released DVD here]?"
"Yeah, I found it for $12"
"I got it for $8"
"You bastard!"

I get a big kick out of finding a DVD at a bargain price. Nowadays I buy almost all new, simply because the DVDs I want to buy are so few (and generally tend to be a little obscure) that it's not worth the effort to hunt them down. But I still feel that twinge of regret every time I see some disc I bought new selling used somewhere for $5-10 less.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
This is silly. I know how many movies I have, but that's only because I have them all entered into DVD Profiler. I don't buy a lot of used, but that's not the point. The point is that used is often just as good as new, only cheaper. We could all get into a pissing match about how much we paid for (Insert title here) on the day it came out, but in the end, it accomplishes NOTHING! Maybe we should just respect the fact that there are different ways to build a collection, and that some of us prefer to buy new, while others have no qualms about buying used. We should just be glad that a quality format has finally taken hold in the consumer marketplace, rather than squabbling over who has more DVDs.

MartinTeller

Screenwriter

Well... I think you might want to talk to a professional about that. Someone else's DVD count should not be making you angry. Life's too short, bro.

Brian E

Screenwriter
Of my about 700 discs about 25 were bought used. I have nothing against used as long as everything's in good shape. My main problem is usually when I look at used discs they are only a dollar or two cheaper than the disc is new when getting it from someplace like BB or someplace online. I know a buck is a buck, but for a $2 savings I feel no real value. Now if the only alternative was a full msrp shop like Suncoast I'm sure a lot more of my stuff would be purchased used. Sometimes I get lucky & find a title priced at about half what BB charges. Those titles I always buy if it's something I'm looking for.

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
I agree with you Mark. just because I could care less about price....does not make me an idiot. I NEVER look for deals, coupons or anything else....because I'm lazy and have no time to shop for the best deal.
Mark/Todd--do you guys apply this principle (don't look for deals/care about price) when it comes to buying new cars (I would venture to say that since you seem to have a thing against buying used DVDs, you're probably averse to buying used vehicles) too--i.e., do you pay MSRP on vehicle purchases? Unless either/both of you are filthy rich, I'm willing to bet no...and quite frankly, anyone who isn't filthy rich and is willing to pay MSRP on a car that can easily be purchased at below MSRP would probably be thought of as an idiot...not that car salespeople would complain about or turn away such buyers!;)

Just friendly banter...please don't take any of my comments as personal attacks towards either of you fellows.:D

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor
Mark:
Like someone else said, maybe you should just compare 1040 forms. It seems like it's more about money than movies to you...

My best friend got {Spinal Tap:Criterion} for $10 at a pawn shop! Last year!

And yes, I do hate him for it:D
I brought up the 1040, I was going to say, just pull down your pants and measure your D---. but thought better of it....

I so hate him(your best friend) as well, :D I got so ripped off on that DVD. But I love that disc (I have the new Spinal Tap as well different commentary track)

I just counted and I have 176 DVDs, I'm not trying to get a huge collection, just the films I like. I'll need to do a recount to include extra discs, It'll probably be 400+ after that

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor
Todd:
dvdaf counts them pretty much the way I like. the Godfather box is 3 individual films....counts as 3 titles. if there is an extra disc....it's usually only counted as a title if it's also ava. as it's own dvd. I like having a total for purchases and titles....with titles being the most important count.
Makes sense to me. TV Sesons count as 1, Trilogies (or larger collections) count as seperate films Extra/Bonus DVDs don't count.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Great thread :D

I'm also in the category that has never and never will buy a used DVD. Hell, I've never even rented one. Like Mark has said, it's just not worth it to me to save a few bucks on a used DVD. I don't clip coupons either. Again, not worth the time and effort for the small savings.

That doesn't mean that I apply those same principles to every purchase. I've only bought new cars, but I do negotiate the price. I had my house built new, but I did negotiate with the contractor. Obviously, there's a big difference in purchasing a DVD versus a house/car and anyone who approaches those purcases with the same indifference is probably either insane or filthy rich (which is a RELATIVE term, so let's not argue the definition).

You can also count me into the group of people who always look through the items on a store shelf for the item in back and in the best shape. I don't know why I do it. I realize in most cases it doesn't matter, but I do it anyway. Hell, I'll look through all the DVDs when I purchase one making sure that the slip cover in the keepcase is nicely centered top to bottom.... why, you ask? Because once I didn't and the damn security sticker that seals the case took a few spots of color off the part of the cover which was slightly exposed. Am I bizzare? Probably. But I bet I'm far from alone in this.

As for Mitch and his anger over his cousin having more DVDs, that's just insane, dude. You really do need to relax on that one. If you are so obsessed to the point where you are thinking that a "used DVD doesn't count" that's just crazy. Is my AOTC DVD worth less because I paid $9.99 for it new at Toys R Us but my friend paid $19.97 for it new at Wal-Mart? Of course not. Should I only count my AOTC disc as 1/2? That's insane. So if price isn't the issue is "new or used" or used the issue? No. As many have pointed out, once I pop that new disc in my player, it's worth no more than someone else's "used" disc.

I only have about 210 - 215 DVDs (That's the movies, I don't count the bonus discs :) ) but I don't get jealous if a friend has more. Because usually when I look at a friend's or family's collection, a lot of the movies I'd never want in my collection anyway. I get pleasure out of looking at my collection and seeing a group of movies that defines me and my tastes.

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor
Just for the record, I have nothing bad to say for anyone who doesn't get used DVDs (I only have a couple myself, as I tend to buy on release day) or doesn't even look for "deals" on DVD prices.

I personally don't have a lot of money so I need to make it last, Home Theater isn't a hobby for the poor ;)

I respect people's collection as long as it's not full of crappy movies. I really dig a lot of HTF's users tastes in films!

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor
I could have easily said "Oh Yeah! Well, you didn't spend as much as I did!", but I didn't. I left it alone and realized that I was crossing over to the "Vain" side if I let it get to me.
As a person who's into cars, I don't care how much you spent, I would be more impressed with the 7 Series (or even a 5 series) over a 3 series BMW. They are cool cars but so tiny inside. What year 7 series was it? and what year is yours, if it's a generation or two behind yours that would level things out a bit...

Todd Robertson

Second Unit
TonyT, no worries...no offense taken. I wont get deep into an explanation. people live a variety of ways. whatever system works best for them. first off...I'm 40 and stable. I own a biz established 1913. it's a small company....I have 4 employees and run the crew myself. my fee is high per hour....so is my service which is ranked #1 with the BBB. needless to say....I make $. I bust my ass sometimes 14 hours a day...hard physical work. which brings me to the "I deserve to do whatever I want" portion of this post;). I make a killing on tips. cash tips. to me this is nothing more than expendable income. extra hobby money. if I make 130K a year with biz profit....shouldnt I be able to spend my BONUS cash anyway I see fit? I also pay cash...NEVER credit...for all dvds and home theater related gear. a personal choice. call it foolish to not look for used dvds, good deals, coupons...whatever. with just this hobby of loving films....I can afford to be foolish. and no....I dont approach cars or homes to live in like that....just films/dvds. it takes ZERO $'s from my earnings....and as long as all my bills are paid and the family is taken care of and my future is being secured....why the hell not.

back to dvds and buying used. I buy around 7 to 10 new releases every week. well..it really is a little lower sometimes. those titles I want now....today...this morning. I wont wait for someone to dump it. and catalog titles? hell....I'd rather just order the damn titles new while sitting here relaxing in my chair and on-line. I'll pay for ease. it's easier on my back. :)

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor
I don't buy used ever. I have zero confidence in other people's abilities to take good care of it. Yes, I am one of those 'anal' collectors that have every case and insert in pristine condition.

Also, the savings to me are not worth it. These days, a new DVD on release week is what- $15? Give or take a few?

What's a used DVD usually? $10? That extra $5 is worth it to me for the fact that:

1. The DVD is brand new.
2. I have the DVD much earlier.

But really #1 along makes the extra $5 worth it to me.

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor
Also, the savings to me are not worth it. These days, a new DVD on release week is what- $15? Give or take a few?
I've looked over my DVDs, only 3 titles are used, heavily inspected before purchase, one of them was the out of print Spinal Tap:Criterion.

The fact that DVDs come out so cheap these days is great! Indana Jones for $33.99 ($6.80-$11.33 per disc depending on how you count them, 3/4/5 discs) Most Big releases about $15! Resevoir Dogs Special Edition (with Mr Orange on the Cover I got for about $9 the day it came out!) Pulp Ficiton and Jackie Brown for about $20 (both for $20 plus From Dusk to Dawn for free!) DVDs are so cheap these days!

Speaking of BMWs Should I count the BMW Films:The hire DVD in my collection?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks