What's new

Why so many good HBO drams in full screen format? (1 Viewer)

NolanJ

Second Unit
This kinda baffles me.

Oz, Six Feet Under, Curb Your Enthusiasm are all released in full screen format.

Thank goodness The Sopranos is in anamorphic widescreen.

Anyone know why this is?

NolanJ

Second Unit
This kinda baffles me.

Oz, Six Feet Under, Curb Your Enthusiasm are all released in full screen format.

Thank goodness The Sopranos is in anamorphic widescreen.

Anyone know why this is?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

They switched to 1.78 in season 3. I expect the DVDs for that season will be 16:9-enhanced widescreen.

M.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

They switched to 1.78 in season 3. I expect the DVDs for that season will be 16:9-enhanced widescreen.

M.

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
Curb Your Enthusiasm is a comedy but everything Larry does becomes dramatic for him so I guess you can call it a drama. :)

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
Curb Your Enthusiasm is a comedy but everything Larry does becomes dramatic for him so I guess you can call it a drama. :)

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
"Curb Your Enthusiasm", incindentially, isn't filmed at all. It is actually shot on videotape and they apply a "film effect" in post production to make it appear as though it were shot on film.

When it's shown in non-NTSC countries, though (like England), they leave out the post-production processing and air it in its original raw videotape look, as such special effects tend to look bad after going through a standars conversion.

The reason for "filmizing" the videotape footage is thatLarry wanted to shoot on film, but HBO wouldn't pony up the extra cash for it. Many who've seen the raw VT version seem to prefer it like that, though.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
"Curb Your Enthusiasm", incindentially, isn't filmed at all. It is actually shot on videotape and they apply a "film effect" in post production to make it appear as though it were shot on film.

When it's shown in non-NTSC countries, though (like England), they leave out the post-production processing and air it in its original raw videotape look, as such special effects tend to look bad after going through a standars conversion.

The reason for "filmizing" the videotape footage is thatLarry wanted to shoot on film, but HBO wouldn't pony up the extra cash for it. Many who've seen the raw VT version seem to prefer it like that, though.

Everlasting Gobstopper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark

Funny thing is that the first two seasons were shown 4:3 and were clearly composed that way, since the 16:9 versions leave a lot of dead space on the sides of the frame.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
at least Carnivale and Deadwood were filmed in 16x9. lets hope all the new HBO Original Programing will be this way from here on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks