What's new

Why short run tv shows could be a money maker for studios on dvd.... (1 Viewer)

Kai Zas

Second Unit
Let's wait with "V - The Series" until "V - The Final Battle" has had a run in my player.

What's keeping them already?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
todd,

I'll grant that there is a market. But is there enough of one to make it worth a studio's while, especially if you're talking about more than just slapping some episodes on disc. If Warner has finite replicating/DVD prep resources, do they use it on "Max Headroom" or something else?

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see it. And I think that there may be a pretty decent market for it on DVD that wasn't there on VHS. I'd just like to see some sort of evidence that this could be a money-maker - sales figures for "Kindred", or A&E's UK imports, etc. - rather than just relying on what seems intuitive.

(And, if it takes off, maybe TV writers will stop the practice of writing beyond their orders to make their shows more appealing for future box-set marketing...)

Cynthia

Stunt Coordinator
I hope the studios are listening. A DVD release has got to be better than sitting on them.
I'd like to see:
The Upright Citizens Brigade (30 episodes)
Twitch City (13 episodes)
Freaks and Geeks (and the soon-to-be-cancelled Undeclared)
The Dana Carvey Show (13 episodes)
Starman (1 season in 1986)
The Tick (animated and Fox's recent live-action series)
Jim Henson's The Storyteller (it's been released in the Netherlands, but unfortunately has mandatory Dutch subs :frowning:)
SportsNight
Strangers with Candy

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I'm all for:

HERMAN'S HEAD

Nowhere Man

The Invisible Man (recent scifi series)

New Outer Limits

New Twilight Zone

I could go on and on and on ....

Rob T

Screenwriter
I would love to have the first 2 seasons of Gargoyles. The 3rd season is kind of iffy since it was dumbed down for ABC's saturday morning cartoon schedule.

Another good one would be the live-action Tick.

hmmmmm...

I'm gonna have to think about this some more...

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
The half-season She-Wolf of London, and maybe the second half of the season, the re-tooled (and renamed) Love and Curses.
I loved it when it was She-Wolf, but I think I only liked two or three episodes of it once it bacame Love and Curses...

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I would be curious to hear the studios side of this. If Mr.Blythe or Mr.Stadden want to throw their 2 cents in, that would be great. And no. I am not asking them to do it. I am more interested if this is something that the studios would be looking into (ie-non-syndicated shows on dvd)and what would be reasonings against it.

ps-Guys, as much as I liked to list what I want. Can we try to avoid it on this thread? The "What shows I want on dvd" threads always get huge and the original points get lost in the shuffle. Thanks!

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I'd love to know the economics behind this too, Todd. Another example - "My So-Called Life" is being issued on DVD soon, mainly through the hardcore fans' lobbying & work. It's get a short limited run - something like 2,500 initial copies I believe? May be worth getting the people behind that on here.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Jason Seaver: Thanks for bringing up Kindred: The Embraced. Fans of Buffy and Sopranos should find this a natch'. :D Assuming they can find it. It's OOP, but I always see a copy in Best Buy or Borders.
Scott Temple: Jeff beat me to it: the Alf thing was specifically an April Fool's joke by Total Movie magazine.
Shane Gralaw: The Young Ones is in-the-works! Do an HTF Search for the appropriate thread.
Ryan L B: Fox VP Peter Staddon informed the HTF, back when the Adam West Batman movie hit last year, that the TV rights are tied up in legal issues. No doubt because Fox owns the footage but Warner Bros'-owned DC Comics owns the characters! :)
Todd S: Peter Staddon hasn't posted here for weeks...don't count on hearing from him. Maybe he's just lurking; I dunno. Good idea to begin with, though!
My own list:
  • The Flash
  • Buck Rogers
  • Police Squad!
  • V: The Final Battle
  • (though I agree we need Final Battle first!)[*]The Tick (animated AND live)[*]Starman[*]The Storyteller (for my wife)[*]Family Guy[*]BATTLESTAR GALACTICA!!!![*]Quark[*]Brothers[*]Open House[*]...and too many others to name right now!
Now, have any of you fans of this concept of Todd's been over to visit TVShowsOnDVD yet? :)

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
My only concern in buying shortlived TV shows is that some of them, ones with long story arcs, were canceled before there was any resolution. Did "Space: Above and Beyond" have any proper ending or did it just die.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Good point, Michael, but my simple rebuttal is that the fans of these shows in reruns are already aware of that possible shortcoming and enjoy those series without the wrap-up. I don't know if S:AaB falls into that category or not; I never watched the last batch of shows due to work considerations.

Lisel

Stunt Coordinator
I'd like:
American Gothic
Cupid
Now and Again
War of the Worlds
There are probably more but I'm not fully awake yet.
Lisel

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys,
Like David already pointed out, I started TVShowsOnDVD.com for this very reason. I'm actually working on an agreement with a company right now that is interested in using the site as a way to gauge interest in shows and then trying to aquire them for DVD release. I think there will be a press release going up shortly announcing the partnership.
So, if you are really interested in expressing interest in shows, come on over to the site and register.
Gord

James Landau

Stunt Coordinator
Wow. That's exciting news, Gord. I've often thought of starting a company to do that very thing, but never really had a clue on how to go about securing the rights, getting the DVDs authored/replicated, etc. If I had started such a company, I would have been very tempted to start with a personal favorite: It's Your Move, a short lived but hilarious sitcom that aired on NBC in 1984.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Space Above & Beyond was killed by the NFL, and it was cancelled literally at the last minute. In the orignal finale, Wang's fate was left open. The guys at Area51 spend several sleepless days generating new FX sequences, and the actor's weren't told they were canned. The guy who played Wang had his family over for the finale, and then he saw himself killed so he was noticeably pissed

I know Morgan & Wong want to do a TV movie, but with every year that passes it's less and less likely. I hope in the hypothetical DVD set that they give at least the treatment for the cliffhanger resolution, or release it to the net like they did with V: THe Series

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Keep in mind most of the shows we have all bought fall into unresolved.

Space 1999, the upcoming UFO, we're all clamoring for Batttlestar Galactica, with the Exception of Trek, Mash and X files, very few current releases did'nt get the ax

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks